Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,135

4 members and 3,131 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

I feel like I've asked before, but where do you get your closet rod mounts and what is the rear perch made of? I know the front is an actual closet dowel and the middle is a large oak branch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jmcrook; 03-09-2018 at 09:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    Hey,

I got them at Home Depot. They are “V” shaped in the front and the back is a flat plate with screw holes. I think you can see them in the cage a few posts back here.

I painted them black with a rubber type paint.

It’s the post in the Caging forum.
    Last edited by Gio; 03-09-2018 at 09:26 AM.

Thanks

Re: Python Reticulatus Wallace Progression!

I'll keep looking. I just can't seem to find that V style bracket anywhere online

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I'll keep looking. I just can't seem to find that V style bracket anywhere online

Just go with closet rod hangers and drill a hole in the bottom of the hanger and the branch and stick a cotter pin in it to keep them from rolling. After all the research i did for perches for GTPs, big ones for something like a retic would be easy as pie haha. You can just use a single screw to mount the closet rod hanger to the cage wall although i would probably go with a a bolt and nut with big flat washers on each side to distribute out the weight.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-09-2018)

Thanks
    My question is how did you treat that log? I'm guessing with it being 6 feet, you didnt stuff it in the oven to bake?

And i actually thought about giving the boas and Caesar a stick to climb on too but i would go more simple with just a couple closet rod hangers and probably roughed up PVC with a cotter pin to keep it from rolling in the rod hanger. Then i could just pull the cotter pin and pull the perch out when i did cleanings.

Oh and off topic but figured I'd mention it. If you want to get rid of any funky smell in cages like the retic musk smell and boa pee smell, use live plants in pots. Since putting them in, Caesar's cage smell fresh and floral like when i open the door as well as all the other cages. The live plants really do clean the air inside the cages lol. And Caesar doesnt seem to push as much anymore. He still does here and there at night but overall, he seems to just be more messing with the whole front of the cage vs always just hanging around the air gap between the 2 doors at the center brace. Wonder if they can actually smell their own piss and poop and want to get away lol.
    Last edited by Sauzo; 03-09-2018 at 11:56 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Oh and off topic but figured I'd mention it. If you want to get rid of any funky smell in cages like the retic musk smell and boa pee smell, use live plants in pots.
    Ok, that means I really need to get the light installed in Buford’s cage and get him a plant . . . or three. He’s a Stinking Goddess ratsnake and has a distinctive funk that you get when you open the cage door.
    0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Prognathodon View Post
    Ok, that means I really need to get the light installed in Buford’s cage and get him a plant . . . or three. He’s a Stinking Goddess ratsnake and has a distinctive funk that you get when you open the cage door.
    Haha, yeah Caesar had that retic smell to him from all the little pisses he always leaves. But since adding just the one medium/large pothos, the smell is gone. The only downside is caught him and Vicky shoving their beezers into the dirt lol. Both of them had a little dirtclod on their noses haha.

And yeah it works awesome. But if your snake doesnt need high humidity, might not be the best. With just one small 6 inch pot in the T10s and T8s, it keeps humidity around 75-80% with aspen and a big water bowl. The medium/large pothos in probably 8-10 inch pots keep the T25s sitting around 75% with only 1 plant. I do plan add to add another plant to each of the big snakes so they have one on each side. Rosey LOVES her plant and just camps out behind it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post

Try this:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...5442/202034088

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (03-09-2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    My question is how did you treat that log? I'm guessing with it being 6 feet, you didnt stuff it in the oven to bake?

And i actually thought about giving the boas and Caesar a stick to climb on too but i would go more simple with just a couple closet rod hangers and probably roughed up PVC with a cotter pin to keep it from rolling in the rod hanger. Then i could just pull the cotter pin and pull the perch out when i did cleanings.

Oh and off topic but figured I'd mention it. If you want to get rid of any funky smell in cages like the retic musk smell and boa pee smell, use live plants in pots. Since putting them in, Caesar's cage smell fresh and floral like when i open the door as well as all the other cages. The live plants really do clean the air inside the cages lol. And Caesar doesnt seem to push as much anymore. He still does here and there at night but overall, he seems to just be more messing with the whole front of the cage vs always just hanging around the air gap between the 2 doors at the center brace. Wonder if they can actually smell their own piss and poop and want to get away lol.
    Treating the log with a hot water and bleach spray is easy, then a rinse after it dries.

The log sat in my basement for about a year after that. There is no risk of anything from that log. Every cage here has a dead branch or log in it.

Overly sterile enclosures don't have any bacteria, good or bad and an animal that doesn't experience any type of bacteria doesn't have anything in the immune system to deal with potential issues.

I'm not saying make your cage a living dump, but there are some natural organisms that benefit snakes and other animals and it is completely healthy to keep that immune system working and developing, in your care the live plants are a great idea. Some use bioactive soil that will eventually break down waste.

That is another topic altogether.

My advice to treat or use large natural branches is to find something not rotting or invaded by insects. Treat it, rinse it and let it sit.

Almost every branch here has been collected, dead and "quarantined" for almost a year, and in some cases longer.

I had the branches long before the cages LOL!

JM,

You can see how I installed them in the first set of pictures.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...he-New-Kingdom
    Last edited by Gio; 03-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Reinz (03-09-2018),Sauzo (03-09-2018)

Thanks

Ahhhhhhhhh that makes way more sense. I kept looking for closet rod hangers in that shape and couldn't find them. I'm sure those corner brackets are way stronger anyway. Thanks dude!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Gio (03-09-2018)

Page 19 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast