Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,861

1 members and 2,860 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Question on spinal kinks for all snake breeders

Have you ever had any snakes born or hatched that had kinks in their spine that later resolved on their own?

I'm asking because this is a first for me: of my 2 recently hatched Florida rat snakes, one had a severe enough kink in mid-back that I was considering euthanasia, depending on how things went. The kink was easily observed when she was fed 2 days ago, & while she could move around, it was with a certain amount of awkward flailing due to the kink. Today she was out of hiding, cruising her cage & moving normally, as if the kink never existed. I know I'm not crazy, so all I can think is that her spine was stuck from her time in the egg, & once she was able to move around more, & possibly with a little push from the pinkie she ingested, it somehow popped back into place where it belongs.

I suspect that many snake breeders (especially on a commercial level) may have taken one look at this snake & euthanized, so I'm sharing this to show that it may not always be necessary. I realize this may be premature on my part, but right now I'm assuming that as this snake grows & gets stronger, she'll be fine. I observed her several times today, & cannot see any evidence of the fairly severe mid-body kink she hatched out with. She hatched out on 10-29, shed & fed on 11-5, & was unobserved until today 11-7. It was as if she'd been to a good chiropractor...?

I welcome your thoughts & experience with this.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...miracle-quot-) see page 5, post 44+
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-07-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    we raised one kinked almond corn snake. we got him as pet only from a breeder, pretty much newborn and took our chances on him and his sister who is supposed to also be kinked but we don't see or feel anything obvious with her. anyways, he refused to eat but could get around ok on his own. husband (67temp) syringe fed him chicken egg yolks for months i want to say until he finally took a tiny newborn pinkie, which is actually the reason we got into mouse breeding. fast forward to now and he is healthy and happy. he is very short for his age but normal corn snake circumference. he has a little trouble getting around if we have him out on us but like i said, manages to get around. i know many breeders or general keepers would have given up on him but husband stuck with it and saved his life. we love him and his sister dearly. maybe he will chime in with pics of them.

we haven't thankfully hatched any out with kinks so i don't know if they sometimes pop back into place but i think it is entirely possible!
    Last edited by SilentHill; 11-08-2019 at 11:42 AM.
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2019),dakski (11-16-2019),Gocntry (11-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I have a kinked BRB I'm keeping as a pet b/c I produced it. At birth the kink could only be felt if you ran a finger down the snake's spine, you couldn't really see it until the snake got bigger. I've never heard of a kink just disappearing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2019),Sonny1318 (11-08-2019)

Thanks

Re: Question on spinal kinks for all snake breeders

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    we raised one kinked almond corn snake...we haven't thankfully hatched any out with kinks so i don't know if they sometimes pop back into place but i think it is entirely possible!
    You did an awesome job with your corn snake. And I really appreciate your input on my current conundrum- I hope my luck holds with this snake, as my first impression was that the pinkie she ate might be regurgitated due to her mid-body kink, & that's why I wondered about her survival. But after seeing her yesterday-?
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-08-2019 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    I have a kinked BRB I'm keeping as a pet b/c I produced it. At birth the kink could only be felt if you ran a finger down the snake's spine, you couldn't really see it until the snake got bigger. I've never heard of a kink just disappearing.
    Trust me, I'll be doing closer looks on this snake...but she had just eaten so I wasn't about to handle her just yet. I'm not at all bothered by a kink that doesn't interfere with her digestion (viability), which is what I feared initially because of the placement & angle. Thanks! (and I've never heard of a kink just disappearing either, that's why I asked)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-08-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    Maybe the food going down her body straightened her kink?
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
    Maybe the food going down her body straightened her kink?
    That's how it seemed to me, that (a little pressure from within?) & her just moving around in her home. I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed for "her". (gender not verified)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SilentHill View Post
    we raised one kinked almond corn snake. we got him as pet only from a breeder, pretty much newborn and took our chances on him and his sister who is supposed to also be kinked but we don't see or feel anything obvious with her. anyways, he refused to eat but could get around ok on his own. husband (67temp) syringe fed him chicken egg yolks for months i want to say until he finally took a tiny newborn pinkie, which is actually the reason we got into mouse breeding. fast forward to now and he is healthy and happy. he is very short for his age but normal corn snake circumference. he has a little trouble getting around if we have him out on us but like i said, manages to get around. i know many breeders or general keepers would have given up on him but husband stuck with it and saved his life. we love him and his sister dearly. maybe he will chime in with pics of them.

we haven't thankfully hatched any out with kinks so i don't know if they sometimes pop back into place but i think it is entirely possible!
    A BIG For you and your husband taking the time and effort to raise the kinked Corn.

Glad he's doing as well as possible and living a good life!!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I have a few snakes with kink/spine issues. The BP was born that way, vet that did the xrays suspects salmonella or some other infection when in the egg caused the issues. Looking at her, you can tell she is kinked, but when I saw the xrays, the spinal fusions are much worse than what can be seen with the naked eye. So it's possible the kink is still there, just not noticable any longer. Also a growing animal may adjust as it gets bigger. Boa with a slightly oversized jaw may 'grow into it' as it ages for example, not always though.
    For the Horde!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2019),cletus (11-08-2019)

Thanks

here is our little guy! i think he's 2+ years old now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Gargoyle Geckos: Gorey, Gremmie, Ouija, Gojira, Bacon Bit, Penny, Wednesday
    Crested Geckos: Eggs, Triscuit, Creature & Waffles
    Leopard Geckos: Rhubarb, Pepper and Clementine
    Cal Kings: Bones & Violet
    Corn snakes: A sh*tload
    Trans-Pesos: 1.1 No names
    BPs: Charlie (super pastel), Bodhi (pied), Finn (GHI Mojave), Dublin (fire bumblebee), Falkor(mystic potion), Letty (pewter), Jameson
    BCI Boa: Specter (Fineline morph)
    SnuSnu the cat, Corbin the pit bull, Juniper the mini aussie & Lily the setter mix
    One little special needs bearded dragon P. Sherman
    Black African House Snakes: 1.1 No names
    Northern Pines: 1.1 No names
    Four skinks, one of which is named Gator & Basil the mini-lop rabbit

'everything was beautiful and nothing hurt' - vonnegut.

www.facebook.com/SilentHillReptiles

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SilentHill For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-15-2019),dr del (11-16-2019),Gocntry (11-16-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast