Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Can you guys give me some ideas on what you are using for thermometers and hygrometers? I ordered a hand held to spot check areas but would like something to keep in the tank all the time for ambient temps an drew humidity.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Re: Another newbie, thinking ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    Can you guys give me some ideas on what you are using for thermometers and hygrometers? I ordered a hand held to spot check areas but would like something to keep in the tank all the time for ambient temps an drew humidity.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072X...b_b_asin_title
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks
    Thanks for the link. For that type of unit do you leave it sitting on the substrate or do you velcro it or attach it some other way to the glass? I would assume something like that sitting on the ground would be knocked over a lot. I had seen some like that Accurite with the probe that goes in the tank and the display sits outside. I didn't know if one was better or if was just a matter of preference.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Thanks for the link. For that type of unit do you leave it sitting on the substrate or do you velcro it or attach it some other way to the glass? I would assume something like that sitting on the ground would be knocked over a lot. I had seen some like that Accurite with the probe that goes in the tank and the display sits outside. I didn't know if one was better or if was just a matter of preference.
    It's just preference. It does get knocked over a lot. I'd just look on amazon and find something with good reviews that you like.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    It sounds like you've done a great job getting the basics down. I agree with Bogertophis that it'd be wiser to buy a new enclosure, at least to start.

I've bought a few used enclosures, but PVC style, so it was worth it to take the time to properly clean it. But for an inexpensive glass enclosure I would just go new.

Just some food for thought....
    BPs live 20+ years in captivity, so with the kids at those ages there will need to be a long term plan in place.
    If the kids go off to college, dorms and most apartments won't allow snakes.
    If they don't go to college and get their own places, many apartments won't allow pets, and often specifically exotics. Not to mention, it may be hard finding a roommate willing to live with a snake in the house.
    What happens if one kid moves away? Who keeps the snake? What happens if both go away and can't take the snake? Will you keep it?

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. This hobby just sees a lot of snakes being rehomed cause the kids lost interest, or moved and can't take the snake, etc....
    I’m in graduate school and have 3 snakes, 3 lizards and a tortoise in a one bedroom apartment. I have no roommate (even though my girlfriend spends more time here than at her place lol) and I can afford it ok. It took some searching but my landlords are fine with the reptiles. If you ask and look long enough you’ll find someone reasonable. It’s not easy but it’s doable. It definitely does limit your options though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL1561 View Post
    I’m in graduate school and have 3 snakes, 3 lizards and a tortoise in a one bedroom apartment. I have no roommate (even though my girlfriend spends more time here than at her place lol) and I can afford it ok. It took some searching but my landlords are fine with the reptiles. If you ask and look long enough you’ll find someone reasonable. It’s not easy but it’s doable. It definitely does limit your options though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No doubt. I'm certainly not saying it can't be done. But I've seen more than too many Craigslist ads or whatever where people are rehoming their animals because the kids lost interest or moved away and couldn't or didn't want to take their pets.
    So it's something I feel is worth mentioning, cause sometimes even the parents aren't responsible enough to thoroughly consider all that goes into keeping a pet. And since they're not toys you can just throw in the attic or throw away, I think it's worth reminding people here and there

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-03-2019),MarkL1561 (10-01-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Many of us, myself included, use Accurite brand. You can find them on Amazon or at Walmart

Thanks
    Thanks for all the input. I pretty much have everything we need. The only thing off the top of my head I know we need is a water dish and the hides. I am waiting until I get a snake picked out and grab that stuff then once I am sure on the size. Don't want to go too big or small on the hides, if we end up getting something a little older.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks for all the input. I pretty much have everything we need. The only thing off the top of my head I know we need is a water dish and the hides. I am waiting until I get a snake picked out and grab that stuff then once I am sure on the size. Don't want to go too big or small on the hides, if we end up getting something a little older.
    I bet the boys are excited and can't wait. You are giving them a lesson in patience for sure. And in being prepared as well.

When you pick out your snake remember the females as adults will get bigger but they also are better eaters. You will have less refusals with them. The males are smaller but also are more picky once they get to be adults. In my opinion anyways.
    And try to get one that has been eating frozen thawed if at all possible. That will make your start much easier, if it is use to, and has been eating f/t. Once you get it home you should do no handling (once you put it in the enclosure) till it eats 3 meals. This will be hard on the boys but there's your patience lesson again. That will take at least 3 weeks. If you get any refusals you need to wait till you get 3 straight feedings. This is pretty important for acclamation. You might know all this since you are preparing so well but I thought I would mention it as a reminder.

And you should really check out and make a copy of the feeding chart that is on here so you can have the right sized feeders. Maybe even while you are at the expo and pick out your snake you can get some feeders as well. Check with the lady breeder they grow pretty fast so you might want to get a couple different sizes. By the way do you have some freezer space to keep some or will you have to buy (like I have to) a few at a time at say Petco or Petsmart or some other reptile store. It will be cheaper in the long run if you can get them in bulk packs at the expo. But not everyone has a lot of freezer space.
    Here is the Eric Brunick feeding chart below.

Last edited by ballpythonsrock2; 10-03-2019 at 10:31 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonsrock2 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-03-2019)

Thanks
    Thanks again. I do have some freezer space but I also have a wife that will possibly freak out at the thought of having rats in the freezer, LOL. She coming along though.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast