Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

1 members and 2,972 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Braining"

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I usually brain my rats for Serket. Sometimes she's so slow in getting to eating them that they've cooled down too much for her to find them by heat, but she can smell the brained ones fine and slurp them down. It's not any kind of big deal, or hassle, just one extra step that takes hardly a couple seconds, and there's no noticeable smell increase to a person.

Thanks

Re: "Braining"

I just tried braining my picky boys mouse to see if he'd take. He's been on a feeding strike since December when I started pairing him up. He's only lost 10-20g in that time and none after the first month, so I'm nit worried at all. But I offered the mouse the first time before cracking the skull open, he just ignored it. As soon as I cracked it open he popped right out and chased it a bit. But he wouldn't commit. It's still a step in the right direction. I think it's due to me warming in a bowl of hot water, and the heat dissipates very quickly due to being wet. They go from 105-110* down to 80* in just a couple minutes. So I'm going to change my warming method for him since I physically can't run back and forth to the sink to warm it at the moment, plus each warming washes away some scent. The others don't care if the rodents are wet.

I think braining is worthwhile to keep in your bag of tricks, and is very easy to do and not messy at all.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kroberts10 View Post
    I just tried braining my picky boys mouse to see if he'd take. He's been on a feeding strike since December when I started pairing him up. He's only lost 10-20g in that time and none after the first month, so I'm nit worried at all. But I offered the mouse the first time before cracking the skull open, he just ignored it. As soon as I cracked it open he popped right out and chased it a bit. But he wouldn't commit. It's still a step in the right direction. I think it's due to me warming in a bowl of hot water, and the heat dissipates very quickly due to being wet. They go from 105-110* down to 80* in just a couple minutes. So I'm going to change my warming method for him since I physically can't run back and forth to the sink to warm it at the moment, plus each warming washes away some scent. The others don't care if the rodents are wet.

I think braining is worthwhile to keep in your bag of tricks, and is very easy to do and not messy at all.

Kyle

Try warming with a hair dryer, got the tip here, keeps a full scent and it is very easy to keep re-warming on site.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

For what it's worth ..
    This method WORKS if done properly ...
    I wait until evening as they're nocturnal of course . I let the rodent thaw out in the reptile room so they get the smell ..
    Then I warm up the mouse / rat with a hairdryer and offer with tongs IMMEDIATELY whilst still warm . If refused simply repeat the heating and offering as many times as needed. .
    A couple of mine will only strike feed from within their hides so I dangle the warm rodent in front of the hide's entrance - usually works but if it fails simply reheat the rodent with a hairdryer and immediately offer again whilst it's still warm , continue until it's grabbed ...
    I always wait until evenings to feed as they're nocturnal of course .

Incidentally , if it shows no interest at all not even a tongue flicker maybe it's best to leave for a week or so.

Thanks

I've got a single clutch incubator setup and ready to go, but no eggs. So I'll just set set it for about 105* and use it to warm up the feeders. Since I have no hair dryer, closest thing is a heat gun. And you have to be VERY careful with it, it'll immediately burn the rat if you get too close.

Kyle

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kroberts10 View Post
    I've got a single clutch incubator setup and ready to go, but no eggs. So I'll just set set it for about 105* and use it to warm up the feeders. Since I have no hair dryer, closest thing is a heat gun. And you have to be VERY careful with it, it'll immediately burn the rat if you get too close.

Kyle

A heat mat is nearly as good if you have a spare lying around ..
    You can defrost a few normally then put them on the heat mat to warm them just before feeding them ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    This may have helped me get my boy on f/t. RBM had him on small live mice. First attempt he ignored it and I tossed it out a window to one of the neighborhood cats. Second attempt, I left it in the cage overnight and it was still there by morning, so mr kitty got another treat. Third attempt, I stuck a scalpel in the mouse's head and twisted it just a little and left it in the cage overnight, it was gone it the middle of the night when I woke up to use the bathroom. After that, he takes f/t right off the hemostats. His first rat this past Friday night got scented with a mouse, he took it right off the hemostat, mouse went to that cat. Now I have a f/t rat eating snake and an alley cat that stares at my window.
    Sneks:
    1.0 '16 Lemon Blast BP(Kevin)
    Fuzz things:
    1.0 '17 Heckin' Borker (Mr. Pickles)
    1.0 '15 Cinnamon Stinky Slinky(Obi)
    0.1 '15 Sable Carpet Shark(Yoda)
    0.1 '16 Sable Noodle bear(Chewy)
    Hominids:
    1.0 '13 Voracious Talking Apelike thing(Connor)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sneksNferts For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-28-2017),Lizardlicks (03-27-2017),Mike17 (03-27-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sneksNferts View Post
    Now I have a f/t rat eating snake and an alley cat that stares at my window.
    LOL!!!!
    This comment really made my day

Banned
    Thanks
    Braining has been around for a long time but I've never talked with someone who's done it. I've got a strong stomach and that's pretty disgusting. I'd rather cough up the extra 4$ for a gerbil than go opening up skulls. Balls go absolutely insane for gerbils. Ever since I learned about prions I can't say I'd be excited about playing around with brain matter.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Godfather View Post
    Braining has been around for a long time but I've never talked with someone who's done it. I've got a strong stomach and that's pretty disgusting. I'd rather cough up the extra 4$ for a gerbil than go opening up skulls. Balls go absolutely insane for gerbils. Ever since I learned about prions I can't say I'd be excited about playing around with brain matter.
    It's really not a big deal guys, you don't see brain bits, or smell brain, or touch them, or anything. Just.... poke the head? Honestly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (03-28-2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast