Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 870

0 members and 870 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

What are the strangest bp myths you have heard?

Today I was thinking about this lady I was talking to. We were talking about my ball python, and she had all sorts of questions such as, "Can it eat you?" and, "Is if venomous?". I, of course, dispelled those myths with patience 😂.
    So what are the craziest bp myths/questions that you've heard?

Ball Pythons

1.0 Normal (Fírnen)

Wishlist
    Pokigron Suriname BCC
    Mexican Black Kingsnake

Thanks
    Thanked 2,106 Times in 1,195 Posts
    I have heard this one.." that snake will size you up to see if you are a meal!"
    They don't understand that even the largest anaconda on the planet would have a difficult time eating a 200 pound adult man... but a 6 pound ball python! If he tried to eat me, I would laugh and eat him! Heck, he couldn't even kill a cat! A cat is much more dangerous animal, they kill far more animals, far more frequently, yet people own tons of these malevolent felines and think they are cute.

Thanks

Re: What are the strangest bp myths you have heard?

Quote Originally Posted by carldordelman View Post
    I have heard this one.." that snake will size you up to see if you are a meal!"
    They don't understand that even the largest anaconda on the planet would have a difficult time eating a 200 pound adult man... but a 6 pound ball python! If he tried to eat me, I would laugh and eat him! Heck, he couldn't even kill a cat! A cat is much more dangerous animal, they kill far more animals, far more frequently, yet people own tons of these malevolent felines and think they are cute.
    Haha, that's true! Ive been bitten by more dogs than I have snakes lol (I've been bitten by a dog once, and I've never been bitten by a snake)

Thanks

What are the strangest bp myths you have heard?

The most frequent thing I hear is that they're slimy. I like debunking that for people. I like how shocked they get over how smooth a snake really is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KayLynn; 09-12-2017 at 07:52 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KayLynn For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-13-2017)

Thanks

It's not a crazy myth... but I hate the comment "But won't he bite you????" NO, nononono! He won't bite me unless I provoke him! He's not a savage beast looking for blood... DOGS cause more deaths and injuries per year than snakes.... "Won't he bite you???"... ugh...

Now of course I handle those situations better. I'm patient, and I use facts and I try to reassure them that I will be fine. While snakes CAN bite, it doesn't mean they WILL.

The craziest one?? It has to be "that thing is going to wrap around your neck and kill you" *sigh*. I've also heard my fair share of "But isn't he venomous?". It seems like I have a lot of educating to do, but I've done good so far. A lot of people who were scared now really wanna see Dewey himself! I think as snake keepers it is our responsibility to educate the public about our hobby- and that most of you do a great job.
    Dewey
    He ain't scare of no things

Thanks
    oh yeah, the "slimy scales" thing is ridiculous as snake scales are so dry, smooth and clean! I've also heard the "strangle your neck" comment. The largest ball pythons in the world are maybe 7-8 pounds max, they couldn't strangle my wrist! Even a reticulated python would not try to strangle my neck! HE MIGHT BITE ME IF I ATTACKED HIM, but it would never try to contrict an animal as large as I am. And I would never provoke one anyway.
    Last edited by Godzilla78; 09-12-2017 at 08:30 PM.

Registered User thebrowntroutdude's Avatar
    Thanks
    Man I've heard some good ones. I was once warned that they can spread "poison" with their tongue, so I shouldn't touch their tongue or anything their tongue touches. Who knew 😂😂😂
    "Let us take the adventure Aslan has set before us"
    1.0 Bullsnake "Garfield"
    0.1 rainbow boa "Cecilia"
    1.0 spider BP "Barry"
    1.1 western terrestrial garter "Dragon and Carol"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebrowntroutdude View Post
    Man I've heard some good ones. I was once warned that they can spread "poison" with their tongue, so I shouldn't touch their tongue or anything their tongue touches. Who knew 😂😂😂
    BAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm sorry for laughing but that is just pure ignorance and fear.
    Dewey

Thanks
    I think it is ridiculous that people will own a 100 pound dog with huge canines and think its cool, but are terrified that a 6 pound snake might bite! I'd MUCH rather get bit by my snakes (which has NEVER happened), than get bit by a dog! yet dogs are socially accepted, serpents are "evil".

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Godzilla78 For This Useful Post:

GpBp (10-30-2017),Pluto_the_python (05-30-2018),the_rotten1 (09-13-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carldordelman View Post
    I think it is ridiculous that people will own a 100 pound dog with huge canines and think its cool, but are terrified that a 6 pound snake might bite! I'd MUCH rather get bit by my snakes (which has NEVER happened), than get bit by a dog! yet dogs are socially accepted, serpents are "evil".
    Well you have to remember that serpents, to people who are more religious, have often been associated/continue to BE associated with satan/the devil. That stigma has probably transferred into interactions they may have with real snakes/snake keepers. (NO offense to those who practice religion. I do too.)
    Last edited by GiddyGoat; 09-12-2017 at 08:48 PM.
    Dewey

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GiddyGoat For This Useful Post:

Godzilla78 (09-12-2017)

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast