Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,778

2 members and 2,776 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Re: Kalatoa 100% Pure SD Retic Progression (Pic heavy...)

Quote Originally Posted by RamMac View Post
    Yeah, Kris from Vital said they're expected tp stay between 5'-7', and although I don't think he's lying, I just don't think anything can be assured with having dwarf and Mainland blood. I believe he said the dad was in the 5' range and mom in the 8' range.
    I know what you mean. Mines parents were 5' dad 6' mom and my girl is already about 5' and just turned 8 months today. I think she's either going to hit 6-7' and then add some girth or she may breach 8'. Still a tiny retic though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    I know what you mean. Mines parents were 5' dad 6' mom and my girl is already about 5' and just turned 8 months today. I think she's either going to hit 6-7' and then add some girth or she may breach 8'. Still a tiny retic though.

I'm not as concerned with the length as I am with ending up with a 11'-12'+ snake with a lot of girth. With that being said, I am comfortable with a retic in the 9'-10' range 9again given it stays relatively thin).
    Last edited by RamMac; 10-11-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

I'm not as concerned with the length as I am with ending up with a 11'-12'+ snake with a lot of girth. With that being said, I am comfortable with a retic in the 9'-10' range 9again given it stays relatively thin).
    Exactly. Mine is basically the build of a wiley corn snake with slightly more dangerous teeth. SD are supposed to be a bit more lean than mainland retics even at their adult size. She's definitely a handful even at this size. Get yourself a good hook and long feeding tongs if you take the plunge

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

MR Snakes (12-12-2018),RamMac (10-11-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    Exactly. Mine is basically the build of a wiley corn snake with slightly more dangerous teeth. SD are supposed to be a bit more lean than mainland retics even at their adult size. She's definitely a handful even at this size. Get yourself a good hook and long feeding tongs if you take the plunge

Al ready have both.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Well females are the ones with girth. So just get a male. From what I've gathered, if you feed them normally, then you should end up in the target area you want. Maybe Cody will chime in here or check youtube for reptileexperts videos. He gives good advice on what to expect etc etc. While there is no guarantee on the size of any snake, by feeding normally and starting with a high % of SD blood, you will at least have a better chance of a smaller snake.

Kris told me the parents for my guy were 5' dad and 8-9' mom. So my guy should top out around 5-7' with normal feedings. And again, no one can guarantee any size but you can get a general idea. Just have to be prepared for something bigger lol. That's why I went with a male myself. All my reptiles are females and while I did want a female SD/D retic, I didn't want to chance it so I got the male.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Well females are the ones with girth. So just get a male. From what I've gathered, if you feed them normally, then you should end up in the target area you want. Maybe Cody will chime in here or check youtube for reptileexperts videos. He gives good advice on what to expect etc etc. While there is no guarantee on the size of any snake, by feeding normally and starting with a high % of SD blood, you will at least have a better chance of a smaller snake.

Kris told me the parents for my guy were 5' dad and 8-9' mom. So my guy should top out around 5-7' with normal feedings. And again, no one can guarantee any size but you can get a general idea. Just have to be prepared for something bigger lol. That's why I went with a male myself. All my reptiles are females and while I did want a female SD/D retic, I didn't want to chance it so I got the male.
    I checked with Cody and his opinion was that it should stay under my limit. I've seen his videos as well. There's a video he uploaded (second one I think) where he shows off an older SD\Dwarf tiger retic that seems large around 10'-11' feet, that size is possibly larger than I'd like but it's hard to really tell from the video.

Thanks
    Also so you cant go wrong with a carpet either. I got a yearling female jungle carpet from Nick Mutton and while she was a terror when I got her, she has mellowed out a ton in the past month. Although at night, she patrols the cage top to bottom lol and tried to strike a white paper towel I was using to scoop up a poopie lol. She is so full of personality lol. Loves to perch on my shoulders and just look at stuff. She did try and bite the tv though lol. I'm lucky in that I got both and while I love boas, the jungle carpet is giving them a run for their money lol. We'll see where the retic places in my list soon enough

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

RamMac (10-11-2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    Also so you cant go wrong with a carpet either. I got a yearling female jungle carpet from Nick Mutton and while she was a terror when I got her, she has mellowed out a ton in the past month. Although at night, she patrols the cage top to bottom lol and tried to strike a white paper towel I was using to scoop up a poopie lol. She is so full of personality lol. Loves to perch on my shoulders and just look at stuff. She did try and bite the tv though lol. I'm lucky in that I got both and while I love boas, the jungle carpet is giving them a run for their money lol. We'll see where the retic places in my list soon enough
    I would love a high yellow JCP. If I see one in Tinley I might go for it. Both have been on my list. The retics however, something about them just makes them so appealing.

Thanks

I checked with Cody and his opinion was that it should stay under my limit. I've seen his videos as well. There's a video he uploaded (second one I think) where he shows off an older SD\Dwarf tiger retic that seems large around 10'-11' feet, that size is possibly larger than I'd like but it's hard to really tell from the video.
    Well I remember right, Cody said the dwarf blood can still produce sizeable animals. Probably the only way to really come as close as possible to a guarantee if a smaller animal is go pure SD male and feed conservatively. I'm not too concerned personally as long as my retic doesn't end up being 15'+ and have a bad attitude. I got a 6-7' female boa that is thicker than a pop can and she is a giant puppy, a heavy puppy but I can reach in and grab her or do anything and she doesn't even care. I even grab her face and wipe it down with wet paper towels when she decides to body/face paint her cage with poop or urate lol. For me, I'm more afraid of the snake with an unpredictable personality than a large snake with a laid back personality.

Thanks

I would love a high yellow JCP. If I see one in Tinley I might go for it. Both have been on my list. The retics however, something about them just makes them so appealing.
    Lol do what I did and get both haha.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (10-11-2016),RamMac (10-11-2016)

Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast