Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,613

1 members and 1,612 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: betta pointers

Thanks

betta pointers

do anyone have any pointers on breeding bettas

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Re: betta pointers

use a 10-15 gallon tank bare bottomed and with no filter or bubbles at all to bred them in ..... Fill the tank half full of water and give it a few days to mature ........ While you are waiting on the tank, feed both your male and female on good rich food ...... decap brine, mosquito larva, scuds, live brine ..... Any thing like this that is rich ......... Before you place the pair in the tank you need to provide a couple things that will make it go better ........ A clump of Java moss, horn wort, or even a mop will give her someplace to hide ....... nest take a stro coffee cup and cut it long ways place the half of cup on top of the water ....... The male will build his nest in it ....... temperature should be consistent ...... The actual temperature is not as important as the it being consistent somewhere in the upper 70's low 80's is fine ........ After breeding is accomplished, take the famle out and leave the male to tend to the eggs ... he will do a much better job than you can ........ Soon the eggs will hatch and you will see tons of tail in among the bubbles, still leave the male ....He will bring the young back up to the nest as they fall out ............ Also leave a light on so he can see what he is doing ..... this does not have to be right above the aquarium if you don't want but the more light he has the higher fry rate you will have ..... One morning you will find little fish swimming around, and that is a indicator that it is time to remove the father ....... The first thing I feed these day is golden pearls, and vinegar eels, be carful with the golden pearls as they can foul the water if allowed, a little goes a long way ........ at this time start a culture of brine shrimp (I find that betta fry do NOT accept de-capped brine as well at first. They have to be trained to take it) .... By the second day quite feeding eels and start feeding freshly hatched brine (less than 24 hours old) ..... By late in the third or forth day they should be on it all together ....... By the 5th day they will start to take decapped bring ......... I don't give a water change for the first 10 days, so limit the feeding to what they can use .
    Joe Haggard

3. The Following User Says Thank You to joepythons For This Useful Post:

nixer (12-09-2009)

Thanks

This is the way i was told to bred them
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

i breed bettas myself, i think Joe summed it up pretty well

actually fouhnd a couple things i will try next time as well!
    thanks Joe
    1. Pastel BP male (Vuitton)
    1. Lesser BP female (Prada)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey'D View Post
    i breed bettas myself, i think Joe summed it up pretty well

actually fouhnd a couple things i will try next time as well!
    thanks Joe
    Your welcome
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    use a 10-15 gallon tank bare bottomed and with no filter or bubbles at all to bred them in ..... Fill the tank half full of water and give it a few days to mature ........ While you are waiting on the tank, feed both your male and female on good rich food ...... decap brine, mosquito larva, scuds, live brine ..... Any thing like this that is rich ......... Before you place the pair in the tank you need to provide a couple things that will make it go better ........ A clump of Java moss, horn wort, or even a mop will give her someplace to hide ....... nest take a stro coffee cup and cut it long ways place the half of cup on top of the water ....... The male will build his nest in it ....... temperature should be consistent ...... The actual temperature is not as important as the it being consistent somewhere in the upper 70's low 80's is fine ........ After breeding is accomplished, take the famle out and leave the male to tend to the eggs ... he will do a much better job than you can ........ Soon the eggs will hatch and you will see tons of tail in among the bubbles, still leave the male ....He will bring the young back up to the nest as they fall out ............ Also leave a light on so he can see what he is doing ..... this does not have to be right above the aquarium if you don't want but the more light he has the higher fry rate you will have ..... One morning you will find little fish swimming around, and that is a indicator that it is time to remove the father ....... The first thing I feed these day is golden pearls, and vinegar eels, be carful with the golden pearls as they can foul the water if allowed, a little goes a long way ........ at this time start a culture of brine shrimp (I find that betta fry do NOT accept de-capped brine as well at first. They have to be trained to take it) .... By the second day quite feeding eels and start feeding freshly hatched brine (less than 24 hours old) ..... By late in the third or forth day they should be on it all together ....... By the 5th day they will start to take decapped bring ......... I don't give a water change for the first 10 days, so limit the feeding to what they can use .
    where are you getting vinegar eels?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nixer View Post
    where are you getting vinegar eels?
    I was using banana worms,walter worms and micro-worms.The vinegar eels sounded to hard to keep alive.Here is where i bought them from.

http://www.aquabid.com/
    Joe Haggard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to joepythons For This Useful Post:

nixer (12-09-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Once you get a culture of vinegar eels going, you'll be in like flynn. Easy peasy to raise, and harvest with a couple tricks. Also you have microworms, or fresh hatched baby brine shrimp.

The amount of fry will be huge, so you might need to plan on seperating the fry into several tanks(or culling a bunch) pretty soon. They grow AMAZINGLY fast when fed and kept decently clean.

Vinegar eels, get a glass bottle like the old milk bottles(OJ comes in similar ones now I think). Put your apple cider vinegar/water into it(bringing the fluid level to just above where the fat part of the bottle is, NOT up the neck), add culture starter. Once you have tons of vinegar eels, put a 'stopper' in the neck of filter floss(tie a string to it if you like for easy retrieval later) deep enough that you have 2 inchs of neck clear ABOVE the filter. Gently add fresh water until it's near the top(above the filter floss). Wait overnight, and then siphon off the tons and tons of vinegar eels and fresh water from the fluid ABOVE the filter floss. Do not POUR! Siphon with a clean turkey baster preferably. Then pour out enough fluid to get the level back down to the fat part of the bottle, and let it sit until you want to harvest again.

Cleaning the fry tank is another issue, but siphoning the bottom free of debris and poo every day works really well. Just get some rigid airline(18 inchs?) and fasten it to regular airline. A bucket on the floor, and start the siphon, and use the end of the rigid airline like a teeeeny vaccuum. If you hold a section of airline in your free hand, pinched over, you can even vary the flow, so that when suicidal fry swim towards the end of your vacuum, you can pinch it off, stopping the water suction, until they go away. Makes cleaning a TON easier.

Hope this helps, the post on breeding/hatching was spot on. Sometimes you can intro the female in a secondary container that's clear, so the male can see her but not beat her up. Getting him into the mood so he realizes it's his girlfriend and not a aggressive new fish(in theory).

Good luck.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

nixer (12-09-2009)