Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,879

0 members and 2,879 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

View Poll Results: How long did it take?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Week

9 56.25%
  • 2-3 Weeks

2 12.50%
  • 1 Month

0 0%
  • 2 Months

1 6.25%
  • 3-5 Months

3 18.75%
  • 6+ Months

1 6.25%
  • Still remains defensive after 12 Months

2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    My Banana was a psycho the first few days I had him. After I realized that taking a bite from a 6 week old hatchling wasn't such a big deal I would just let him bite me. Then I learned to just pick him up with a hook and set him in the palm of my hand and use my other hand to cover him with. After about a min he would calm right down. I wouldn't recommend it but I also hand fed him a hopper. I was just trying to establish i'm not trying to hurt him it seemed to work though. I handle him everyday and he hasn't struck at me in weeks. He doesn't get defensive when i reach in to get him out of his enclosure anymore. Either way through out the years I've learned the more u handle them the more docile they stay. There is that rare occurrence when the snake just stays mean its whole life. Just keep in mind you have a snake, normally balls don't bite but its still a snake.

Story time more of a fable....
    There once was an old man who walked up on a rattle snake. The snake wasn't scared and never postured up to take a bite. When the old man started walking away the snake followed him. When the old man got home he noticed the snake was still behind him. The old man invited him in. The snake lived in his house for years keeping the mice at bay and providing good company for the old man. One day the old man reached down to say hi to the snake and.... blamo the snake took a bite. While the lonely old man laid there dieing with the snake beside him he asked the snake, why did you bite me, your my best friend. The snake replied, "because i'm a snake".

Moral of the story we can love snakes but they are not to be trusted.

Thanks

Re: How long did it take for your BP stop being defensive?

My bp was never aggressively defensive, for the first week maybe shy but he's been very friendly when he realized I was his new home

Thanks

Talking "Strikey) 3.5 month old Ball Python. HELP!

I just purchased a 5 month old ball python. She was so cute until she started her striking! ( yes, just joking... she is still cute!)She ate only once since I've had her ... for 3.5 weeks. When she is in her hide, she peeks her little head out. When she is outside of the hide and she sees me, she forms that S shape in her neck and is ready to strike. My friend at the pet store has 10 snakes four of which are Ball Pythons. He said be gentle , but told me to continue to take her out for handling a few minutes a day. Should I do this or stay away from her for awhile? I bought a snake hook and so it is easier to get her out of the enclosure without her striking. By the way, one of the times I took her out on the hook, she wrapped around the hook and struck anyway. When I do take her out, she goes into a ball. I stretch her out and she immediately begins to crawl around and investigates her surroundings ... like my bed, floor, my arm,etc. Am I doing the right thing? ... especially taking her out of her enclosure and handling her daily even though she is ready to strike!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

I wonder if some people simply confuse viv defensiveness with a bladdy great appetite ??

I used to have a decent sized Pastel Royal ( when Pastels were the big thing lol ) and he went for me everytime I slid open the viv glass doors ... but he would eat every day and was my ‘dustbin’ when any others refused .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Shayna was never a biter, but she could hiss, LOL.

She was really only cage defensive and wanted to a) defend her territory and b) be left alone, probably the latter. After she got settled in and had a few meals, I started gentle handling (she was about 200G when I got her and about 5 months old). She would hiss and puff up the first few times, but I called her bluff. After about 3-4 handling sessions over 1-2 weeks, she quit it. Hasn't done it since.
    Last edited by dakski; 11-11-2019 at 05:13 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12