Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,557

1 members and 1,556 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Ceftazidime?

Thanks

Ceftazidime?

Hi we had recently purchased a tsk het pied axanthic male off of morph market, and roughly 3 weeks into quarantine we noticed some suspicious ri symptoms and brought him to a vet, which is 3 hours away, the medication he prescribed up was ceftazidime or fortaz, needless to say we gave him all but 2 of the injections, we work alot so we got off the 72 hour injection schedule towards the end because he seemed to be cured, well he's still been in quarantine and I'm noticing the mucous drying around his mouth area again, and having recently been promoted at my place of work, it's even more demanding now than before, not sure when I will be able to bring him back in to see the vet, we have a couple doses left over to hold us off for about a week, but I'm just trying to see if anyone knows a legitimately reputable place where I could purchase the ceftazidime either online or in a store etc

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    Fortaz is prescription-only from a vet. Stopping a course of antibiotics before completing it is what creates resistant strains of bacteria and virii.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-09-2021),DCR (10-09-2021),jmcrook (10-09-2021),TofuTofuTofu (10-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I don't believe you were so busy you couldn't give an injection. I bought a snake once that came to me with a RI. Giving the shots were not hard or time consuming. You got lazy and now you're paying the price. It's a life lesson as long as you learn from it.

Maybe you could call them and explain what you did and they'll give you more.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

DCR (10-09-2021),jmcrook (10-09-2021),Snow Balls (10-11-2021),TofuTofuTofu (10-09-2021)

Thanks

Re: Ceftazidime?

Coming from a vet assistant, never stop antibiotics early. It does more harm to stop in the middle of treatment. Same goes with human antibiotics they make it clear to finish every pill on time. As for getting more you can contact your vet and they can prescribe more. Unfortunately antibiotics are not over the counter drugs so you cannot buy them online unless you have a prescription from the vet. I just had to deal with my snake having a mouth infection from a misaligned jaw and had to give her antibiotics every 3 days, even after she ate (I could have timed it better but she was fine) it's really important to not stop early just because they look better. My snake looked better after the first injection but I still gave her all 5.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bayalicious For This Useful Post:

arpowell (10-09-2021),bcr229 (10-09-2021),Bogertophis (10-09-2021),DCR (10-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thank you all for responses, guess it's a trip to the vet again. And just for the record I do indeed work 12 hours a day 7 days a week, 7pm-7am

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DCR View Post
    Thank you all for responses, guess it's a trip to the vet again. And just for the record I do indeed work 12 hours a day 7 days a week, 7pm-7am
    Then you of all people should know to complete all courses of antibiotics started for either you or any of your pets. Not doing so wastes time & risks health in the long run. All the best- seriously.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Then you of all people should know to complete all courses of antibiotics started for either you or any of your pets. Not doing so wastes time & risks health in the long run. All the best- seriously.
    I mean definitely should have, we had a lot going on at the time, my wife's brother passed away right during all of that, we were just going back to work from being laid off, our 5 children were starting school, we have a total of 25 snakes and are also 8 asf colonies deep, I know I messed up by not completing the full cycle of shots, from what I was reading even upon completion of the full cycle there's still a chance for the ri to come back. I have thick skin tho so once more I really appreciate the answers on here 😌

Thanks
    Thanked 19,792 Times in 11,827 Posts

I mean definitely should have, we had a lot going on at the time, my wife's brother passed away right during all of that, we were just going back to work from being laid off, our 5 children were starting school, we have a total of 25 snakes and are also 8 asf colonies deep, I know I messed up by not completing the full cycle of shots, from what I was reading even upon completion of the full cycle there's still a chance for the ri to come back. I have thick skin tho so once more I really appreciate the answers on here ��
    I know how life hits all at once, truly. But as was posted earlier, stopping a course of antibiotics can make resistant germs- in fact, you might need a whole different one now to treat him- and usually doctors/vets start off with the best option- the one most likely to succeed with the fewest side effects. Antibiotics are not without side effects on our fragile serpents, so treating only once is way better than needing another round- not to mention they're usually off-food during their medication also- antibiotics are rough on their bodies.

It's very frustrating to doctors/vets how often people do the same thing you did- stop antibiotics before the full course because the person or pet seemed to be well- only to have it come back with a vengeance. So in a way, we should thank you for reminding everyone here, NOT to do this. It really doesn't save you time or efforts in the long run, & you can end up with a much worse outcome, as well as more expense, which I know you don't want. Forums like this are helpful because we do all learn from mistakes that others make- so thank you for sharing this.

Anyway, congratulations on the promo & being back to work, very sorry about the loss of your wife's brother, & OMG you have FIVE children, 25 snakes & ASFs to keep up with! You didn't need more to deal with, but because you blew in on the Ceftazidime injections, now you have. I really do hope your snake makes a good recovery.

BTW, your work schedule sucks! That doesn't sound very healthy for you, in the long run, so I hope those long ridiculous hours are temporary. Obviously you're trying hard to keep up with everything financially, but everyone needs some time off- don't burn yourself out.

With your chosen vet being 3 hours away, I'd try calling them & owning up to what happened- maybe they will give you a break so you don't have to go all the way back for another Rx. Maybe. I hope so.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-09-2021 at 09:46 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

DCR (10-09-2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts

I mean definitely should have, we had a lot going on at the time, my wife's brother passed away right during all of that, we were just going back to work from being laid off, our 5 children were starting school, we have a total of 25 snakes and are also 8 asf colonies deep, I know I messed up by not completing the full cycle of shots, from what I was reading even upon completion of the full cycle there's still a chance for the ri to come back. I have thick skin tho so once more I really appreciate the answers on here 😌
    I applaud you and hope things get easier. I know how sometimes when it rains it pours.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

DCR (10-12-2021)