Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,010

1 members and 2,009 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Advice for switching to F/T

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Go to rats not mice. Thaw out one of each. Then blow the mice scent into the tank through a vent. Your snake with light up and get into feeding mode. You will see it’s pretty cool.

Then open tank, present rat and the rest is history. Works every time like a charm.
    Also known as "bait & switch"!
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-04-2022),Harri (09-23-2022)

Thanks
    I wanted to give an update before I try again tomorrow.

Monty shed successfully and finished yesterday with a complete perfect shed. I didn't notice anything last Sunday when I tried to feed but maybe because he was beginning the process might also be why he refused. He is a BEL so I didn't notice until Monday when I saw a slight haze in his blue eyes. I made sure he has some extra moisture in his warm hide and a few days later he fully shed. So, crossing fingers, but I'm trying again tomorrow to feed him and did get some Mouse litter from a pet store to maybe give the rat some mouse scent before I feed. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the great advice!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TallJRock For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-04-2022),Bogertophis (09-24-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TallJRock View Post
    I wanted to give an update before I try again tomorrow.

Monty shed successfully and finished yesterday with a complete perfect shed. I didn't notice anything last Sunday when I tried to feed but maybe because he was beginning the process might also be why he refused. He is a BEL so I didn't notice until Monday when I saw a slight haze in his blue eyes. I made sure he has some extra moisture in his warm hide and a few days later he fully shed. So, crossing fingers, but I'm trying again tomorrow to feed him and did get some Mouse litter from a pet store to maybe give the rat some mouse scent before I feed. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the great advice!
    Many snakes "feel their shed coming" even before we see any of the evidence- so I agree, that's a likely reason he refused food. And yes, BELs are very hard to see the clouding (for shed) too.

Thanks
    Update and thanks:

So, after that first successful shed, Monty was back to himself. For the next 3 weeks I just didn't want to rock the boat and fed live mice (full size and largest up to that point). Then he went back into shed around that 4th week, and took him like 9 or 10 days and perfect shed once again. So, this time after shed i decided to try the F/T but decided to do mice and then later do the switch to rats. First attempt was successful and it was the largest mouse he ate to that date. So, using the advice from some members in this post, i am going to try to switch to rats after 2 or 3 successful F/T mice.

On a side note, Monty is becoming a very amazing little guy. He is now to the point where he actually comes to the front of his enclosure and comes out basically on command. He seems like he wants to be out and is also becoming social with some of my family members. I think it's quite impressive as he is only 3 1/2 months old. I have a small video I may try to upload that shows him coming out on command.

Thanks to all for your advice and I'll be back with updates!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TallJRock For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-04-2022),Bogertophis (11-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Sounds promising

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    personally i have been able to switch multiple of my snakes (scrub python, African rock python, etc) from live prey to f/t - i usually wait till it’s night time and their room is pitch black to feed, then i soak them in scalding water for prolong periods of time, well over what’s actually necessary to thaw them, get them real hot and toasty and fresh again, and then from there it depends on the snake

passive hunting: I’ve been leaving the prey at the foot of my African rock den and sometime throughout the night they’ll eat it (unless they’re out of their den and are active that night then I’ll feed directly)

active hunting: my scrub python is the complete opposite of my African rock - he is *always* active and the whole feeding process is an event where i have to both present it to him and then struggle a little while he’s alligator rolling in his soaking bowl (i haven’t updated my thread about this but he’s still doing it to those that have seen it)

from that i think it comes down to figuring out your snakes own individual style and temperament - some may need an epic battle, some might be bashful and just want a silent meal on their porch, you know

i think experimentation and also consistent trying is key
    het for nothing but groovy

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

If all else fails …

Give the tried and trusted hairdryer method a go !!

Message me anytime for the details ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    The first F/T mouse went perfectly, I had it gradually thawed in room temp water, and then once it was thoroughly thawed I put it in hot water for 30 seconds or so until the temp of the mouses head was slightly over 100 degrees. I held it in front of Monty in a position that looked like the mouse was walking, he kind of sniffed it for just a few seconds and then...bam, strike and coil, the rest was as usual. So I figure if he gets used to that a couple times, when I'm ready to switch to a rat, I'll have both ready to feed and get his interest up with the smell of the mouse and then present him the rat. I will let you know how that goes in a couple weeks.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TallJRock For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-04-2022),dakski (11-04-2022),YungRasputin (11-04-2022)

Thanks
    You did great! Or maybe we should credit Monty? Either way...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    You did great! Or maybe we should credit Monty? Either way...

LOL, yeah, this is all Monty, i'm the one with the learning curve, he just allows me to be part of his world

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12