Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 925

2 members and 923 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: snake finally coming out

okay i will get her a fuzzy but i also want you to understand that this is my first snake and you are very aggressive with how you type i get you care about the snake and so do i but the way you type makes me wanna just go to another forum. she trew up Saturday so i will try again on Sunday

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberrus View Post
    so when should i try feeding her again and you are saying to get a fuzzy mouse
    The general rule of thumb is to feed your snake a mouse that is no wider than the widest part of your snake's body. My Children's python, which is closely related to the spotted python, takes a hopper and a pinkie weekly, but he's close to 36 inches long and weighs over 162 grams. So, while a hopper might be appropriate eventually, while your snake is recovering from a regurgitation, you'll want to go smaller (fuzzy or pinkie).
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-16-2022),Bogertophis (09-16-2022),Cerberrus (09-16-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,789 Times in 11,825 Posts

I don't mean to lose patience but you don't listen well & it's frustrating to keep repeating things. I know it's your first snake, but you don't seem to understand the directions. Also, you don't always answer the questions I've asked in trying to help you- & I'm not sure you understand the difference between rats & mice- not everyone does.

Like this:
    ...she trew up Saturday so i will try again on Sunday
    I've already explained more than once that when a snake throws up, you need to wait longer before feeding again- about 2 or 3 WEEKS. Otherwise they'll just throw up again & they can die from that- I'm serious. I don't think you want that- I sure don't.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-16-2022 at 01:57 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Yes, & feed smaller than you did before & smaller than what she'd normally eat- to make SURE she can digest it. I'm not kidding- snakes can actually die if they regurgitate several meals in a row- it's important- essential!- that she keeps the next meal down. If she does, I still wouldn't handle her until she has a couple more meals eaten & digested.

Keep the meals small for a while- this is to make sure she's okay (able to digest) & not actually sick. After a snake throws up a meal, it takes time for them to replenish their digestive enzymes- especially if they're chronically underfed already- & from what you said, this is likely the case.
    well as you can see here i asked if i should wait 1-2 weeks and you said yes so it will be 1 week soon

Thanks

well as you can see here i asked if i should wait 1-2 weeks and you said yes so it will be 1 week soon
    Wait at least 2 weeks after a snake has thrown up, & waiting 3 weeks is preferable- their stomach needs time to recover & produce digestive enzymes lost when they threw up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (09-22-2022)

Thanks

like i said i am just going off of what the previous owner told me
    But yet you're here, asking for help, & not getting help from the previous owner. Hint, sometimes people are not honest that sell things- to make a sale, they tell you whatever you want to hear. Now & then, they're selling an animal that they haven't even kept for long- ie. they're "flipping it" for a friend, or maybe it was even stolen. It's been known to happen. It's also possible that in the stress of the moment (buying a pet) you misunderstood them. It doesn't matter now.

The bottom line is we're trying our level best to help you, but to do that, we need accurate information about your snake (it's size & the size of prey you're trying to feed it) and the conditions it's being kept under. (ie. temperatures, available hides, type of cage, handling, etc.)

It doesn't matter what the previous owner told you at this point. You cannot expect our answers to be of much help if you can't bother to provide the information we need to get you on the right track with this snake. Who do you think is more trustworthy? Someone you made a one-time purchase from for $, & that isn't helping you now, or people on a forum that just try to help others -for free- because they love & care about snakes?

You have one more option, & that is to pay an exotic vet to find out why your snake threw up it's meal. https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
    If I was sure that your snake is sick, that would be my first suggestion (to see a vet) but vets deal with medical issues, & your snake may simply have a husbandry issue- & that's our specialty here. That's what I've been trying to help you figure out.

And if it seems like I've been pushing you for answers, that's because in a previous thread you said this snake hasn't eaten at all for 3 months- & you've only fed it once since you've had it but it threw that up- so IF this snake is actually only about a year old (as you guessed) & IF it's only about 15" long (as you guessed) then it's possibly in very poor shape- nutritionally speaking. As in starving...so I've been trying to tell you that your snake needs you to get this right, or it might not make it. OK? This snake might just need proper feeding, but it also might be sick. Getting the feeding right will help diagnose the issue.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-16-2022 at 08:33 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-16-2022)

Thanks

so i got her out of her hide and got a good measurement on her she is defiantly around 35"

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,900 Times in 837 Posts

35" is very different from 15". This is why accurate information is needed when we ask about your animal.

Homebody had mentioned their snake eating a hopper at a similar size. As Bogertophis mentioned, a hopper is a weaned mouse.

That being said... please do not try to feed your snake a hopper yet. I would try the fuzzy mouse for a week or two just to make sure that your snake can indeed digest it without issues. After eating a couple of fuzzies, then you can consider moving up in size to hopper mice.

If you are concerned about the snake only eating rats (I would honestly keep to mice as Boger and Homebody had) you want to try a rat pinky first. And if your snake is eating well... you will need to feed a small to medium sized FUZZY rat. Not a weaned rat or rat pup. They will be far too large.

A fuzzy mouse is 6 grams. A hopper/weaned mouse is around 12 grams at most.

If you were indeed feeding weaned rats, those are 45grams and still far too much for your snake to handle.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-24-2022),Bogertophis (09-22-2022),Homebody (09-22-2022)

Thanks

okay sounds good its been about 15 days sins she threw it up so i will try a fuzzy mouse today

Thanks

okay sounds good its been about 15 days sins she threw it up so i will try a fuzzy mouse today
    how'd it go?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast