Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,565

2 members and 1,563 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eatting half?

Thanks

Eatting half?

I went to go feed my python today [second week of having him] and he struck really fast, curled up, but hit more towards the hind legs of the mouse. He worked his jaw a bit, but ultimately dropped it. I went to retrieve it, but he refused to give it back.

I left him alone and around 30 mins later to find he'd eatten half of it, with no concern for the other half. [Tried dangling it again he didn't care] should I be concerned, or will he just be a lil hungrier next week? I've left him with it for a little while longer.
    Last edited by Tato; 09-06-2019 at 08:52 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: Eatting half?

Did it split in two??

If so there may be a better way to thaw or other issues we could help with.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-06-2019),jmcrook (09-06-2019),Sonny1318 (09-07-2019)

Thanks

It split pretty much where he nabbed it and chewed on it a bit. That back end piece was gone when I went to check. I have been thawing it by placing it on top of his cage in the morning when I go to work and feeding him around 7pm

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    It split pretty much where he nabbed it and chewed on it a bit. That back end piece was gone when I went to check. I have been thawing it by placing it on top of his cage in the morning when I go to work and feeding him around 7pm
    That is definitely not sanitary. Would you thaw your meat by leaving it on the counter all day? You should thaw in the fridge for that long or run it under cold water for an hour or so, until its thaw. Then warm water or a blow dryer to heat it up once its thaw.
    Last edited by wnateg; 09-06-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-06-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Yeah, feeding rotten rodents is not cool. (gag!) And remember, even if you thaw YOUR meat by leaving it out, you aren't eating it raw (-ok, I'm assuming here),
    but your snake IS eating it raw, with all that bacteria from laying around at room temperature all day. Nasty...that's why it fell apart.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

wnateg (09-07-2019)

Thanks

It's still in the food bag it came in, and that's how people have told me explicitly to do so.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    It's still in the food bag it came in, and that's how people have told me explicitly to do so.
    Doesn't matter what bag it's in, and we're advising you to the contrary. Properly thawed frozen rodents do not fall apart this way...only when they're spoiled & gross.
    Remember that the rodents you're thawing are whole animals...their guts (ie. GI tract) are FULL of bacteria, which are all too happy to proliferate the longer they're at
    room temperature. Take a cue from human food safety rules: thaw meat in the refrigerator (the slower way) OR thaw in cold water (the fast way)...& like I said before,
    that's for OUR food, & it's being cooked, which destroys bacteria...our snakes are eating it raw, & very few are carrion eaters. Your snake was sadly desperate enough
    to try to eat anyway, & this could prove to be a health issue for your pet.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (09-07-2019),Valyndris (09-07-2019),wnateg (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    No one is trying to beat you up, we just want you and your noodle to be happy which is also healthy.

First thing, thaw the rat like you would want it thawed if you planned on eating it. Second people are going to give you bad advice on occasion. I put mine in gallon ziplocks with hot tap water if I feed frozen thawed. I mostly go live because I have the best chance of everyone eating and the availability of live rats. The one meal of rotten rat shouldn't hurt.
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,538 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Doesn't matter what bag it's in, and we're advising you to the contrary. Properly thawed frozen rodents do not fall apart this way...only when they're spoiled & gross.
    Remember that the rodents you're thawing are whole animals...their guts (ie. GI tract) are FULL of bacteria, which are all too happy to proliferate the longer they're at
    room temperature. Take a cue from human food safety rules: thaw meat in the refrigerator (the slower way) OR thaw in cold water (the fast way)...& like I said before,
    that's for OUR food, & it's being cooked, which destroys bacteria...our snakes are eating it raw, & very few are carrion eaters. Your snake was sadly desperate enough
    to try to eat anyway, & this could prove to be a health issue for your pet.
    I have been defrosting rodents by leaving them out 8 hours easily for 35 years, never experienced that. But when I have been pressed for time I’ve used hot water methods and experienced that more then once. My other thought would be the rodent wasn’t good from the get go. Rodent Pro always had questionable quality back in the day not saying that was the brand, but I do believe they are also Artic mice brand.
    1.0 Black Pastel Pinstripe
    1.0 Reduced Pattern Clown
    1.0 Low White Pied
    1.0 Hypo Super Enchi

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonny1318 For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (09-11-2019),Ogre (09-07-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I tend to defrost mine on a heat pad in empty shelves of the racks - mice and small rats for about 4 hours bigger rats for almost 6.

If they have never been defrosted before they shouldn't get to the point of being a rat-grenade at that time.

If they had somehow gotten defrosted or spoilt beforehand then it would be fairly likely I suspect. If you use too warm water then that can also slightly cook them which will also increase the chances of them splitting.

You could try defosting them in the fridges ( in a tupperware please - let's not scare the normal people ) while you are at work then finish it off near the snakes once you are home.
    Last edited by dr del; 09-07-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Annageckos (09-11-2019),Craiga 01453 (09-07-2019),Sonny1318 (09-07-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast