Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,874

1 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: Help

Thanks

Help

good day everyone could help me with my problem I found this animal in my terrarium and would like to know what it could be

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    Might be easier to identify if we knew your rough location...I'm guessing you aren't in U.S.-? Also something in photo for size relationship (or just measure it).

It's probably there for the substrate rather than to pester your snake, but I'm just guessing. I'm in the U.S. (mid-South) & use natural branches for my snakes: now &
    then I find there are wood-boring beetles in them...I'll find little trails of fine sawdust (like on the black hides where it shows up easily) & they're harmless to the snake,
    assuming (?) that's what yours is too. (my local ones look different from yours)
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Help

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Might be easier to identify if we knew your rough location...I'm guessing you aren't in U.S.-? Also something in photo for size relationship (or just measure it).

It's probably there for the substrate rather than to pester your snake, but I'm just guessing. I'm in the U.S. (mid-South) & use natural branches for my snakes: now &
    then I find there are wood-boring beetles in them...I'll find little trails of fine sawdust (like on the black hides where it shows up easily) & they're harmless to the snake,
    assuming (?) that's what yours is too. (my local ones look different from yours)
    thanks for responding i'm from the netherlands i also have natural branches in my terarium my pythons have further as far as i know no bother from the animals

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HTC U11 met Tapatalk

Thanks
    If your branches are small enough to fit in your oven, many ppl slow bake them for about an hour (low temp.- about 200*) to kill off insects in them. When I've done
    that, I also dampened the wood first, to help keep it from being flammable or scorching. Obviously you want to keep an eye on things if you try this. Most of my
    branches are way too big to fit my oven though...that's why I sometimes have a wood-boring beetle tunneling thru a branch.

There are so many kinds of insects in the world, & different areas have a different selection...you'd do better to identify it if you asked a local entomologist or maybe
    a pest control company (-though you have to hope they're honest & won't pretend you need fumigated for something harmless, lol).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dematrix (11-24-2019),wnateg (11-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts
    The other option, if the branches are too big to bake, is to soak them for 24 hours in hot water. You can do so in a very weak bleach solution too, then soak for another 24 hours in clean water, but it'll dye your wood.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wnateg For This Useful Post:

dematrix (11-24-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    The other option, if the branches are too big to bake, is to soak them for 24 hours in hot water. You can do so in a very weak bleach solution too, then soak for another 24 hours in clean water, but it'll dye your wood.
    I would not advise soaking ANYTHING in "bleach solution" (not even a weak solution) IF it can absorb it. That means no wood products should be treated with bleach, as bleach is toxic to life & the fumes remain; even in low concentration, our snakes mostly have only one functional lung, are FAR more sensitive than we are (being so much smaller) AND many are in enclosures with very little air circulation...so even if WE cannot smell the bleach, trust me, our snakes can & it will irritate their lungs or worse.

I typically do spray dilute chlorhexidine on my branches & driftwood & allow air dry; there's no residual fumes from that, just as there is none when cages are wiped with it. (or if you're a fan of F10, that should be fine to use instead) I would need a horse trough to soak my largest branches in hot water, lol.

But again, only use diluted bleach on surfaces that cannot absorb it, like glass. Even plastic can absorb some...that's why the plastic jugs it comes in say "do not re-use
    this container". Would hate to see anyone find out the hard way with their nice professional PVC enclosures...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-24-2019 at 07:25 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

LeeAnnT99 (11-24-2019),Sonny1318 (11-24-2019),wnateg (11-24-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,020 Times in 465 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I would not advise soaking ANYTHING in "bleach solution" (not even a weak solution) IF it can absorb it. That means no wood products should be treated with bleach, as bleach is toxic to life & the fumes remain; even in low concentration, our snakes mostly have only one functional lung, are FAR more sensitive than we are (being so much smaller) AND many are in enclosures with very little air circulation...so even if WE cannot smell the bleach, trust me, our snakes can & it will irritate their lungs or worse.

I typically do spray dilute chlorhexidine on my branches & driftwood & allow air dry; there's no residual fumes from that, just as there is none when cages are wiped with it. (or if you're a fan of F10, that should be fine to use instead) I would need a horse trough to soak my largest branches in hot water, lol.

But again, only use diluted bleach on surfaces that cannot absorb it, like glass. Even plastic can absorb some...that's why the plastic jugs it comes in say "do not re-use
    this container". Would hate to see anyone find out the hard way with their nice professional PVC enclosures...
    I have seen many instances of people using a 10% bleach solution, plus I've used it myself. Soak it for a day or two, switching out the water, then air dry for a week or so, and it will be fine. If it's too big to boil or bake, you could either do nothing or soak it. Both have risks.
    Start your own dubia roach colony with Roach Rancher!

Instagram - @AliceAnaconda

0.1.0 Cat "Anna"
    -----
    1.1.0 Emerald Tree Boa "Amanda & Samantha"
    0.1.0 Merauke Scrub Python "Victoria"
    0.1.0 Titanium Reticulated Python "Alice"
    1.0.0 Eastern Indigo
    -----
    0.0.4 Alligator Snapping Turtle "Deborah"
    0.0.2 Florida Snapping Turtles
    0.0.1 Cuvier's Dwarf Caiman "Caroline"
    0.0.1 100% Het Black Dragon Asian Water Monitor
    -----
    0.0.1 Antilles Pink Toe Tarantula "Katherine"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wnateg View Post
    I have seen many instances of people using a 10% bleach solution, plus I've used it myself. Soak it for a day or two, switching out the water, then air dry for a week or so, and it will be fine. If it's too big to boil or bake, you could either do nothing or soak it. Both have risks.
    While u can or have used it before, it’s not a good idea to tell random people it’s a good method. Bleach is a tricky chemical that even loses its strength as much as 10% every 3 months or so if kept at 70*. If higher it will weaken faster. So u never know what strength people are using and what type of wood either.

Long story short. Don’t use bleach on porous Items
    I’m just a bill sitting on top of capital hill.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danger noodles For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-24-2019),Sonny1318 (11-24-2019)

Thanks

Looks like a fungus beetle or something. I’ve gotten bugs with substrates before. It’s annoying and gross but harmless. Definitely doesn’t look like a mite to me so I don’t think it’ll hurt your animal just your sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkL1561 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-25-2019)