Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,972

1 members and 2,971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Probably ridiculous, but.. husbandry question

My house never gets above 70 in winter. Is it possible to keep corns with a 80 degree heat mat (warm side) and air temps that fluctuate from 65- 68 usually? If not of course I can just get a secondary heat mat and thermostat to maintain higher temps throughout.. just asking before I spend double the money.
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python "Juju"
    1.0 Anerythystic Colombian Boa "Ludo"
    1.0 Amerlanistic Kinked Corn Snake "Oscar Pistorious"
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Re: Probably ridiculous, but.. husbandry question

Quote Originally Posted by mamaodie View Post
    My house never gets above 70 in winter. Is it possible to keep corns with a 80 degree heat mat (warm side) and air temps that fluctuate from 65- 68 usually? If not of course I can just get a secondary heat mat and thermostat to maintain higher temps throughout.. just asking before I spend double the money.
    do you have a space heater? i use one in my room because it gets so cold; it's set to 71°. not the most cost-effective solution out there but i hate being cold so i don't mind.
    Last edited by tttaylorrr; 03-17-2017 at 08:28 PM.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Thanks

I've got heat lamps in my bathroom, space heaters, extra heat mats etc... just asking if I need to be worried about the ambient so much if I have the proper warm side temps. I know it seems silly.. I have a room specifically for my other herps and its just too warm in there for a corn so I guess I'll just have to take over another room in the house ...darn... lol
    Along with my darling husband who hates my limbless lovies, girl child who isn't quite sure yet
    We're overlorded by two sister kitties and recent storm drain rescue who all wreak havoc everywhere they can sneak

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mamaodie View Post
    I've got heat lamps in my bathroom, space heaters, extra heat mats etc... just asking if I need to be worried about the ambient so much if I have the proper warm side temps. I know it seems silly.. I have a room specifically for my other herps and its just too warm in there for a corn so I guess I'll just have to take over another room in the house ...darn... lol
    i think being in temps that low constantly might cause an issue. i just adopted my first corn snake so i'm no expert but i believe low 70s is okay but maybe pushing it. hopefully someone else can chime in to correct me if i'm wrong.
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    My house gets to around the same temps in winter and my corns have been fine as long as they have their warm spot. I might raise that warm spot to 85* instead of 80 to help counter the cooler ambient temperatures.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiritserpents For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (03-18-2017)

Thanks

What kind of enclosure are they in? Can you just provide a heat lamp to bump the ambient locally rather than heating an entire room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'd be using a sterilite for a good bit and the temps will only be in that range for the next month or so. I mean, yeah I can set up a ceramic heat bulb or the like. I was just asking if it would be harmful to use the standard (in my home) room temperature for a little while since my dedicated snake rooms are much warmer than the temps needed for corns (not that it matters during the quarantine period). But also for the future, seeing as winter comes every year

Thanks

Ambient air will not heat your snake as much as a UTH or a Bulb will. As long as it isn't freezing in your room, it should be fine. Especially if it has a UTH or a bulb. If you run a heat pad you MUST run it on a thermostat, or else there is no way to regulate how hot it will get. A bulb does not need a Thermostat unless it is too hot for the snake and you don't want to buy another bulb with lower watts. I recommend you run both a UTH ( Heat Pad) and a lower wattage bulb, maybe around 50 or 60 watts, just to keep the temp up in the other areas of the cage. I had to house my corn for a week in a basement that never got much above 70 and she did fine with the heat pad and bulb.

currently, my house is usually around 73. I have her with only a UTH that sits around 75-86 and that works more than fine for her. A bulb will work if you cannot get a UTH with thermostat right away.
    Last edited by KingNoFace; 03-20-2017 at 07:21 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KingNoFace For This Useful Post:

mamaodie (03-24-2017)