Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,683

3 members and 2,680 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Ball Python trying to escape new tank??

Quote Originally Posted by Kerimac View Post
    Yes. I ordered thick black out tint from Amazon and put on 3 sides of my 40 gallon breeder tank. It is not like auto tint. It is very thick.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    This is a really good method. If you’re looking for something cheaper you could tape black/dark poster paper to the exterior sides as well. Or even use paint.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Faith.luu View Post
    This is a really good method. If you’re looking for something cheaper you could tape black/dark poster paper to the exterior sides as well. Or even use paint.
    I plan on using dark paper, I tried acrylic paint and when I would start to do the second layer no matter how dry the first one was the first layer would start to peel up and I ended up having to wipe it all off.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Have you regulated the temps for the CHE yet??

I noticed you ignored my reply when I mentioned it in your last thread.

Unregulated heat sources can literally kill your animal, not something to be ignored....

Unregulated heat sources could also be making your snake uncomfortable and unable to find a spot that offers both security and a temp the snake likes. Hence the roaming and searching for an escape.

The other possibility is your snake is hungry. How often are you feeding? What size prey? When did he eat last??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Have you regulated the temps for the CHE yet??

I noticed you ignored my reply when I mentioned it in your last thread.

Unregulated heat sources can literally kill your animal, not something to be ignored....

Unregulated heat sources could also be making your snake uncomfortable and unable to find a spot that offers both security and a temp the snake likes. Hence the roaming and searching for an escape.

The other possibility is your snake is hungry. How often are you feeding? What size prey? When did he eat last??
    I should be able to order another thermostat for the CHE after this weekend hopefully. I feed him every 6 days and I feed him medium mice. He was fed last Saturday so he'll be getting fed today.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BallPythonBabe View Post
    I should be able to order another thermostat for the CHE after this weekend hopefully. I feed him every 6 days and I feed him medium mice. He was fed last Saturday so he'll be getting fed today.

Ok cool
    I'm just trying to look out for your new pet. Another friendly piece of advice: make sure to save up some money asap. Emergencies happen, accidents happen, illness happens and equipment fails. Usually with no warning. So it's EXTREMELY important to have money stashed away for a vet appointment or to replace equipment if it fails. That's something new pet owners often overlook, which honestly, is unfortunately irresponsible.

Your snake may also be hungry. That's why it's important to have a scale so you can be sure you're feeding appropriately sized meals.

This is a great example of why we prepare before bringing the animal home. Your snake is dealing with stress that could and should have been avoided.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Craiga 01453 View Post
    Ok cool
    I'm just trying to look out for your new pet. Another friendly piece of advice: make sure to save up some money asap. Emergencies happen, accidents happen, illness happens and equipment fails. Usually with no warning. So it's EXTREMELY important to have money stashed away for a vet appointment or to replace equipment if it fails. That's something new pet owners often overlook, which honestly, is unfortunately irresponsible.

Your snake may also be hungry. That's why it's important to have a scale so you can be sure you're feeding appropriately sized meals.

This is a great example of why we prepare before bringing the animal home. Your snake is dealing with stress that could and should have been avoided.
    I tried my best.

Banned
    Thanks

I tried my best.

I understand that, and I'm not criticizing, just trying to help you and others moving forward.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

christineho (06-05-2020)

Thanks

BP's have one three goals, at any given time:
    1. Hide
    2. Find food
    3. Find mate

If your snake is trying to escape, it's becase it feels it can't meet one of those goals. The first one is your only primary concern. Do you have enough hides/clutter, decent humidity, and the right temps? Your snake is fine.

Out in the wild, food is rare. During the night, they need to find food, because there is no telling when they are going to eat again. If there is no food to be smelled in the tank, they will try to escape. It's all about food, and regular meals is not something to be found in the wild. Hence snakes (and humans) will overeat and get fat if given continual access to food. That's just not the environment they evolved for. Having the munchies while healthy and full happens to us all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

It's seems like a young snake that's still acclimating to it's new environment. I wouldn't be surprised that it's looking to escape. The snake could also be getting hungry. So far everything seems pretty normal to me.

When it comes to regulating ambient temps with a CHE, I prefer a dimmer over a thermostat. I only use thermostats for my RHPs and UTHs.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-08-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Even if he keeps trying to get out constantly? Im watching him currently and he keeps doing it repeatedly all of a sudden. Ive never seen him do this. Like hes done it before a couple times but now all of a sudden he wont stop trying. He just keeps climbing the wall, reaching the top, sliding down, and repeating. And now hes just pacing the glass again! Sorry Im just worried as this is my first snake and want to give him the best life possible!

I haven’t read through the thread but you’ve described perfectly normal behaviour of a snake in new viv/rub ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast