Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

1 members and 3,080 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Need advice from experienced owners!

I'm new to the whole snake game. I always wanted one as a kid but my parents are deathly afraid of snakes. I bought my first snake, an Albino BP that I named Jörmungander(Jörmy), back in September from a breeder I know. She is 7 months old. I've showed several snake owners my setup and they all said it was good! I've never had a problem with husbandry or feeding until the past few months. It was around the time it started to get cold, I live in southern Indiana so the weather here is crazy, that she just decided to stop eating out of the blue. It's been 3-4 months since she's eaten and she just shed for the first time in 2-3 months as well. . I'm constantly monitoring her temperature and humidity and it's around 90 on the hot side and 75-80 on the cool side. Humidity is always around 40-60. I've been told that sometimes they won't eat in the winter sometimes and that it's normal. But it still freaks me out because she is my first snake and I love her to death. I've also got a spotted Python, named Ragnorak(Rocky) and he loves to eat and has no issues what so ever. So I'm just wanting to know that, if your opinion, everything is okay with her? Should I be concerned? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    The way to tell if you should be concerned or not is to monitor her weight, if you have a scale. If you don't have one yet, it's a good thing to have in times like these LOL.

Generally I just eyeball whether they're still at a healthy weight and body condition. I wouldn't get worried unless she's really starting to look skinny.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Kobra Kommander (02-20-2017)

Thanks
    I don't have one yet. But I'm going to the shop tomorrow to get some new stuff for her. I have her in a 40 gallon tank, which is what I was recommended to get, but all my research tells me to downsize a bit. I need to snatch up a new digital thermometer and scale. I can tell she's lost a little bit of weight, but she doesn't look unhealthy. I tried feeding her tonight and she acts really interested in the rat but she just won't commit. I've always fed her live rats but the place I bought them from just shut down so I had to switch to frozen.