Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 532

2 members and 530 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Sell to minors online?

I find the idea of selling to minors online to be a bit uneasy. I'm totally fine with selling to people online, that's not what bothers me.

What does bother me; I just can't come to terms with being 100% okay with selling to kids potentially under 18 with never meeting them, never talking with their parents to know if they give their permission, etc.

Does anyone ASK potential buyers their age? If they are under 18, does it make a difference? Say the person says they are 18+, and they lied. Now the parents are pissed and are taking legal actions for whatever reason...

Should there be a waiver in place for every sale? Something like... "I agree and declare that I am the age of 18 or older as of [date], and I agree and understand.... blab blah...."

Is that taking it too far?

Am I the only one who feels compelled to NOT sell to minors without meeting them in person or getting parental permission in writing?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Sell to minors online?

well im 14 and before i buy something online, i always ask my parents.. they feel like i am responsible enough to do my own thing. which i am..although i always do research online to make sure im not getting scammed or something.. ESPECIALLY when bying snakes.

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

If I find out the person I'm selling to is a Minor, which I usually ask if I have a suspicion, (and sometimes am wrong about), I make sure to tell them that I need parental permission, and that I need to discuss with their parents over the phone before anything else will happen.

It has worked out for me several times, and I do notice that the parents actually appreciate that, as we can discuss the finer details of the deal.
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've never sold any snakes or anything online, but if I were you, assuming they call your cell phone, your cell phone should have a button to record the conversations, just record the convos and save them in your sale folder on a computer under the snake, persons name and such. So that way if any legal actions ever get inquired about you have proof that you asked about the age.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Knowing me, I will probably ask everyone if they are a minor or not LOL.

I just don't want to get screwed over, I can see the case now.

Judge: "So you found it acceptable to sell a potentially dangerous python, online, without knowing if the person you were selling to was just a deep voiced 14 year-old boy?"
    Me: "Well, I asked him if he was over 18...."
    Judge: "Did you get a signed document stating such? He says you never asked him."
    Me: "Uhh, well, no..."
    Judge: "Enough, stick a fork in me I'm done! You are being ordered to pay $1000 in fines for damage, $500 for mental anguish, and $5000 for selling a dangerous animal to a minor *BAM!*"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Knowing me, I will probably ask everyone if they are a minor or not LOL.

I just don't want to get screwed over, I can see the case now.

Judge: "So you found it acceptable to sell a potentially dangerous python, online, without knowing if the person you were selling to was just a deep voiced 14 year-old boy?"
    Me: "Well, I asked him if he was over 18...."
    Judge: "Did you get a signed document stating such? He says you never asked him."
    Me: "Uhh, well, no..."
    Judge: "Enough, stick a fork in me I'm done! You are being ordered to pay $1000 in fines for damage, $500 for mental anguish, and $5000 for selling a dangerous animal to a minor *BAM!*"
    lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Signed documents bearing the signature of a minor are legally worthless anyways.

Thanks

Just look up the specific legislation for the area. I know I bought on Ebay before I was 18.

I personally wouldn't sell to a minor online. I would sell to their parents though.
    -Paul-

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

First, there's a button to record phone convos?
    And secondly, no, I try not to do deals with minors online. I almost did a deal with a kid, becuse he presented himself so adult, I did not even think of his age. I try to ask age now. There's not any definitve thing you can do to prove someone's age, unless you request a copy of their driver's license or something.
    And yeah, even if a minor signed a legal disclaimer saying "I'm over 18..." it's not admissable, becuase he's a minor so it's not binding. Catch-22 there. Yes he lied, but you can't use the proof, because he's a minor.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Obviously I do not ask for idea at the time of purchase or enquiry and so far I have been able to tell which ones were minors which one were not. (of course I could always make a mistake)

I will answer any enquiry from a minors however the sale will not go through unless I talk to at least one of the parents, I would either call them or have me call me.
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast