Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

0 members and 3,150 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best cage size for BP?

Hey guys, im new to the forum but lovin it so far. But i just got a question about what size i should get for my ball python. Ive seen alot of things about a 4x2. Some people say your stupid to get something so big because it just stresses them out and they'll hate it while others say they'll love the room. Im looking to get one from reptile basics and i was just wondering what the best size is for my ball python.
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Best cage size for BP?

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    Hey guys, im new to the forum but lovin it so far. But i just got a question about what size i should get for my ball python. Ive seen alot of things about a 4x2. Some people say your stupid to get something so big because it just stresses them out and they'll hate it while others say they'll love the room. Im looking to get one from reptile basics and i was just wondering what the best size is for my ball python.
    a bp could live in a 20L its whole life, but large females need a 30 or 40 gallon

Thanks

Okay. Im just not sure about what size of the reptile basics i should get. they sell a mini which is 22 1/2" wide x 16 1/2" deep x 14" tall and they also have the 3x2 and 4x2. Is something like the 4x2 too big?
    Connor Paschke

Thanks

I don't really know much about tub sizes and I'm so horrible at guessing measurements (when someone says 4x2x2, etc.), so I'll tell you enclosure/tank sizes because I've always used them with every reptile I've ever owned and they really aren't that bad but I do agree that tubs are better to use.

For a hatchling or yearling, I suggest a 10 gallon enclosure. They fit perfectly in a 10 gallon, and it is not too big nor not too small.
    For a juvenile, I suggest a 20 gallon enclosure, and when it outgrows that I would suggest using a 30 gallon enclosure.
    For a sub adult, a 30 gallon would be ideal.
    For an adult, a 40 gallon would be necesarry. Some females will fit in a 40 gallon perfectly, but large females will need a 55 gallon enclosure if they are too large for the 40 gallon.

OR..

You could purchase just a 40 gallon enclosure. The bigger the better I say, just because you will not have to buy any more enclosures as the snake grows and it can spend it's entire life in the 40 gallon. The only thing you would have to upgrade would be in hides and water dishes, and maybe even sticks if the sticks get too small for the snake to slither on. Though, if you do put a hatchling or yearling in a 40 gallon enclosure, do keep in mind that you must not have ANY open spaces. Fill the tank up with hides, sticks, and plants or you could just get the two hides for opposite ends of the enclosure (cool end, warm end), get a water dish, and fill the tank up with crumbled newspaper. That seems to be effective too, and is pretty cheap so you don't have to spend a ton of money on getting plants and such. I do agree people say just get the appropriate sized enclosure for however big the snake is, but if you get a large enclosure you would need to fill it up with stuff so there is no open spaces just so the snake does not get stressed out.
    Tiff'z Morphz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

redstormlax12 (08-21-2009)

Thanks

And thanks for replying to my thread now.
    Connor Paschke

Thanks

I don't really know much about tub sizes and I'm so horrible at guessing measurements (when someone says 4x2x2, etc.), so I'll tell you enclosure/tank sizes because I've always used them with every reptile I've ever owned and they really aren't that bad but I do agree that tubs are better to use.

For a hatchling or yearling, I suggest a 10 gallon enclosure. They fit perfectly in a 10 gallon, and it is not too big nor not too small.
    For a juvenile, I suggest a 20 gallon enclosure, and when it outgrows that I would suggest using a 30 gallon enclosure.
    For a sub adult, a 30 gallon would be ideal.
    For an adult, a 40 gallon would be necesarry. Some females will fit in a 40 gallon perfectly, but large females will need a 55 gallon enclosure if they are too large for the 40 gallon.

OR..

You could purchase just a 40 gallon enclosure. The bigger the better I say, just because you will not have to buy any more enclosures as the snake grows and it can spend it's entire life in the 40 gallon. The only thing you would have to upgrade would be in hides and water dishes, and maybe even sticks if the sticks get too small for the snake to slither on. Though, if you do put a hatchling or yearling in a 40 gallon enclosure, do keep in mind that you must not have ANY open spaces. Fill the tank up with hides, sticks, and plants or you could just get the two hides for opposite ends of the enclosure (cool end, warm end), get a water dish, and fill the tank up with crumbled newspaper. That seems to be effective too, and is pretty cheap so you don't have to spend a ton of money on getting plants and such. I do agree people say just get the appropriate sized enclosure for however big the snake is, but if you get a large enclosure you would need to fill it up with stuff so there is no open spaces just so the snake does not get stressed out.
    Thanks for the very detailed repsonse. Im starting to like this forum more and more. But im thinking about going with the 4x2x1 reptile basics cage with a 80 watt RHP. Their cages look awsome and such great reviews.
    Connor Paschke

Thanks

Thanks for the very detailed repsonse. Im starting to like this forum more and more. But im thinking about going with the 4x2x1 reptile basics cage with a 80 watt RHP. Their cages look awsome and such great reviews.
    Well whatever works for you and the snake will be just fine. Glad to hear your are liking the forum too, it's a cool place to hang at
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Well whatever works for you and the snake will be just fine. Glad to hear your are liking the forum too, it's a cool place to hang at
    Haha yeah. I was on it most of the day at work.
    Connor Paschke

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

well a 4x2 is a bit big for a bp.. and reptilebasics is WAY to expensive. id buy a 20 gallon. buying a 40 right away would stress him. even a 30 gal is pushing it.. if you bought a 30 make sure to put at least 2 hides, tons of plants and branches, and a water bowl. good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bamf64 For This Useful Post:

redstormlax12 (08-21-2009)

Thanks

Yeah they are a little more pricey but i just like the hardware and the way they're built. I would get boaphile but the customer service isnt even close to reptile basics. I dont like hte look of repti-racks caging. Maybe ill go with a 3x2. So the 4x2 is just way to big. Im not going to put my hatchling in something that big anyyy time soon. Just looking into the future.
    Connor Paschke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast