Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 972

1 members and 971 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

surrogate mothering question

ok so I would like to know how many babies one mom can handle and care for efficiently. I have 2 moms right now one had 7 and the other had 10. I have a hairless thats due anyday now and heard they aren't so good mothers and sometimes don't lactate. So if this is the case and my hairless isn't caring for them right I would like to know how many one mom can handle. I hope that made sense! Thanks!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

Re: surrogate mothering question

That's a good question as I am having that very issue. I just had two new mother's give birth within 1 week of each other. The first gave birth to 12 pups and the second had 14 (only 10 of which lived as 4 were born dead). Since that time the second mother has taken no interest in her babies and there are only 4 left which the first mother is raising with her 12. I can see the milk rings in the remaining 4's bellies, so it looks like they are getting time to suckle.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks

My hariless just had seven babies like an hr ago so IDK yet if she is gonna be a good mom or not but have 2 other moms nursing as we speak. One delivered like 3 or 4 days ago and had 7 babies the other delivered lastnight and had 10 and this hairless just had 7 so if she isn't a good mom I am gonna have to surrogate but don't wanna overload the other two!

Thanks

Orphan pups are less likely to do well when placed with a surrogate. This is often due to the fact that if she is nursing her own brood, the older pups will push the younger pinks away from the mothers teats, and while they can survive, they will not thrive as well as the older pups.

My advice is to not breed the hairless again if she proves to not lactate very well.

In the meantime, check her pinks late tonight and check for full milk bands in their belly. If they don't have milk bands, she is likely not nursing them. If it's the same in the morning, they will need to be given to another mother with pups near exactly the same age.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Orphan pups are less likely to do well when placed with a surrogate. This is often due to the fact that if she is nursing her own brood, the older pups will push the younger pinks away from the mothers teats, and while they can survive, they will not thrive as well as the older pups.
    I would think they would do fine with the mom that just had babies last night. I've had no issues with surrogates when they were matched by size. I've even taken 20+ sized litters and given a few to surrogates with smaller litters of the same size with no noticeable difference in her babies and her surrogates.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post

My advice is to not breed the hairless again if she proves to not lactate very well.

In the meantime, check her pinks late tonight and check for full milk bands in their belly. If they don't have milk bands, she is likely not nursing them. If it's the same in the morning, they will need to be given to another mother with pups near exactly the same age.
    Well I kinda jumped the gun a bit but wanted to have answers before the problem came! I have been checking the pups and she seems to be lactating and nursing them pretty well so far so thats a good thing!!

Quote Originally Posted by rabernet View Post
    I would think they would do fine with the mom that just had babies last night. I've had no issues with surrogates when they were matched by size. I've even taken 20+ sized litters and given a few to surrogates with smaller litters of the same size with no noticeable difference in her babies and her surrogates.
    And if I had to surrogate out the babies I was gonna give a few to the mother that gave birth lastnight. I just didn't know how many would be too many for a mom to handle especially with having 10 of her own. So thanks guys for the answers! Didn't exactly get the answer I was looking for in a number but it is all good! Thanks for all the help!!

Thanks

Didn't exactly get the answer I was looking for in a number but it is all good
    I'd say 12 since that's how many that can suckle at one time. I'm having to help the runt of a litter from 13 since its larger siblings easily push it aside (size makes a big difference). Today I had to remove one of the full ones and put the runt up to where he had been drinking.
    Brittany Davis
    0.1 Snow BCI- Isis
    1.0 Hypo Motley het Albino BCI- Rupert

Ball pythons
    1.0 Champagne, 1.0 Albino Spider, 1.0 Savannah, 0.2 Normal, 0.1 Het Toffee, 0.1 Black Butter,
    0.1 Spider, 0.2 Pastel, 0.1 Enchi, 0.1 Albino

Thanks

i have some rats that seem like natural born mamies. i will sometimes give on mom two litters because one rat will be neglectful. i never have problems but then again i have a bunch of mother rats to choose from. I dont think you should have any problem as long as the rat u put the babies with is good mom

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigLu View Post
    i have some rats that seem like natural born mamies. i will sometimes give on mom two litters because one rat will be neglectful. i never have problems but then again i have a bunch of mother rats to choose from. I dont think you should have any problem as long as the rat u put the babies with is good mom
    Thanks, I also have 3 other moms I could put them with if need be. But I did find a dead one out of her litter lastnight! And I am so confused on the reason it was dead it looked nice and healthy and was a nice chubby one. There are a few others that were way smaller than this one was! So I am thinking it was accidentally killed by suffocation or accidentally crusehed or something by the mother?? It wasn't chewed up or anything it was blue. Maybe there was something wrong with it and the mother noticed it? IDK any guesses guys? I do know that after this litter I will no longer be breeding the hairless rats!

Thanks

My hairless female has had 2 clutchs. The 1st clutch she had milk at 1st, then everyday we noticed the clutch was smaller. She went from 15 to 2 in a matter of 4 weeks. 2 lived in the end. The 4th week there was 5 they were under sized. I looked again 2 lived.

Her 2nd clutch she had 12 pups. She had some with milk bands some with out. 2 Died that night she did not eat them. She left them. I gave her babies to 2 other moms 5 lived. More would of if the timing was better. The other 3 moms I had each delivered 3 days after her. It would of been better if I timed it and had the other moms clutchs 1st.

Most of my moms cared for there own babies and had 15 all together. I know I have one great mom that had a clutch of 15 in her 1st breeding and she even tried to care for another rats babies also.

I now know to time the regular moms so the hairless can have her clutch after. You should make sure you count the amount in the clutch everyday to see.

I now also have a haired rat with the hairless gene now that I had give me 10 babies 4 which were hairless. We took my hairless male and breed him to a hooded normal rat. Then took one of the babies a female from that clutch and breed it back to the dad and got a clutch of ten. My hairless also have the Dumbo gene and double rex. So she had 6 hooded 2 of which were dumbo, and 4 hairless 1 was dumbo.

I have Dumbo rats I breed once in a while, Hairless 3 male 2 which are dumbo 1 of the 2 is a dumbo albino, ( 2 of the hairless are father and son. both double rex. The son was born dumbo. The albino has a patch of very silky fir on his belly and nose.) I also have 1 female hairless, 1 brown female normal, and 2 hooded. 1 with the hairless gene. I handle all my rats everyday or at least every other day. I have a few that can sit with me and don't wonder to far from me. Working on training.

Monique

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast