Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,979

3 members and 2,976 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assist feeding

Thanks

Assist feeding

I feel so horrible that I had to do this, but my snake has not eaten for 6 months since I got it. I have him in a tub and temps/humidity and everything else is exactly how it should be. But still, not once in the last 6 months has he shown any interest in feeding. Having a ball python as a pet has been very difficult so far and I fear that after practically forcing it to eat and not getting a positive response has left me with no other option than to let go... I feel so sorry for him. My poor snake is probably going to die. I just don't understand why in all this time he hasn't eaten anything.

Thanks

Re: Assist feeding

Quote Originally Posted by Appolion View Post
    I feel so horrible that I had to do this, but my snake has not eaten for 6 months since I got it. I have him in a tub and temps/humidity and everything else is exactly how it should be. But still, not once in the last 6 months has he shown any interest in feeding. Having a ball python as a pet has been very difficult so far and I fear that after practically forcing it to eat and not getting a positive response has left me with no other option than to let go... I feel so sorry for him. My poor snake is probably going to die. I just don't understand why in all this time he hasn't eaten anything.
    You said its all exactly how it should be, i'm not an expert but explain your set up and maybe me or someone else could give you advice. Also, what are you feeding and how?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

How old is this animal, and how much does it weigh?

Please explain your set-up - including size of enclosure, method of heating, method of controlling heating, what you use to measure the temps, the type of hides you are using.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

If your snake has a good body weight and is not loosing much weight, you need to know that your snake will be ok, I have snake that went of feed from 6 to 9 months and that are doing just fine.

Additonally giving info on your snake, it's size and your husbandry will help.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Bring it to a VET.
    Alicia Holmes
    www.BerkshireBoids.com
    Enough snakes that i cant count them properly anymore.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

What Moo said.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

It doesn't sound like it needs a vet to me. It sounds like it is fasting, and doesn't want to eat. I am assuming that it is at least a year old though.
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

Thanks

The snake is about 3 years old. I adopted him from a friend on Feb. 20, 2009 and it last ate Feb. 16. He's about 4 ft long. I don't know the exact weight, but here are some pictures:
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9827/0822092028.jpg
    http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/4505/0822092031.jpg
    http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/804/0822092032.jpg
    It is thermostatically controlled and I use a fan to blow air in to keep the humidity between 50-60%. I try to handle him a few days a week for not longer than 20 minutes. Temperatures never go higher than 91 (hot) and never less than 78 (cool). Light cycle is about a normal as it gets. I never cover it unless I'm up really late. I didn't try too hard to assist him. I'm a first time snake owner and am getting a little worried. I understand snakes don't need to eat much, but this just seems a little extreme and I've been wondering if it's a reflection on my husbandry. But everything seems exactly like how it should be. Thanks for the help and if you're hear to flame, just go away. Negativity never brings positive action...

Thanks

Want to point out, having a heating element on a blanket or towel there, BAD IDEA. UTH's need to BREATHE, meaning, raised from the surface they are set on by 3/4 of an inch to an inch above. Especially so when you use an inexpensive analog heat control. Anything else is asking for hot spots and a fire hazard.

Have you been monitoring his weight?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by littleindiangirl View Post
    Want to point out, having a heating element on a blanket or towel there, BAD IDEA. UTH's need to BREATHE, meaning, raised from the surface they are set on by 3/4 of an inch to an inch above. Especially so when you use an inexpensive analog heat control. Anything else is asking for hot spots and a fire hazard.

Have you been monitoring his weight?
    Why not first ask whether or not I have it on the little rubber things it comes with.... ugh. Which it is BTW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast