Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,706

0 members and 2,706 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Breeding your own mice for ur snake

Hey this is the first time i have used this but it seems right to task the question here.. i have been doing research for breeding mice and i wanted to knw what the bad things are that go with it.. would it be healthy for me too be feeding her my own mice breeded by me? or ft from the pet store? i have had my snake for afew months now and i decided i rather breed the mice but also wanted to know if home-bread mice would cause health problems for my snake..
    Last edited by sweetP's my snake; 08-15-2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: wanted to re-word it

Thanks

Re: Breeding your own mice for ur snake

breed them its very easy. I would just breed rats IMO. They are actually really clean its the males that stink a place up. Just be sure to only have one or two males to 4 or 5 females and youll have babies within 45 days probly sooner if ya got some big rats. They are cheap to feed, and cuts alot of cost out if you got a decent size collection. Fresh is always best option to feed.

Do I get Paid for this??? LadyOhh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,115 Times in 1,073 Posts
    Blog Entries

Moved this thread to the Rodent area
    Heather Wong
    I AM the Wonginator
    Heather's Herps Website
    READ MY BLOG!!!
    Balls for Life, Baby!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

For just one snake? I would definately go to a reptile show...on a good show special I can get 100 frozen mice for $20. Puttin it bluntly, mice....STINK. Real bad. And after you add up the cost of bedding for those mice, food, water bottles, cages, tubs, whatever, I personally don't think it's worth it for just one BP. Now, if you happen to be a lucky person who just happens to know someone who just happens to be giving away a cage, with some pairs of mice, all their food, toys, treats, accessories, etc., and the whole kit-n-kaboodle for free, than go for it. Your only cost will be feed and bedding...oh, and the stink.
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 4theSNAKElady For This Useful Post:

sweetP's my snake (08-17-2009)

Thanks

yea ik i heard they stink but i read some websites and i heard if you take care of them properly they shouldnt be as bad, the good thing is there going in my basment. i was planning on feeding her the live owns and freeze alot of them. i was going to have 1 male and 2 females an i was coming up with all positive things. i was thinking shed have plenty of food and i wouldnt worry about desieases because i woud be the one breeding them in a healthy enviroment.. shes a small snake right now shes eating the fuzzy hopper mice but i wanted to cut down on going to the pet store becuase we dont live that close..

Thanks

Breeding for one snake is not that practical. The money you would spend buying food and bedding and all that would cost the same if not more than just buying your snake a feeder once a week. While yes, you can provide good quality feeders by breeding you own, it really isn't a good option if you are only breeding for one snake. I didn't start considering to breed my own till I hit about 4-5 snakes. I would wait until you have a larger collection before breeding your own.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

hmm okay im just thinking that if i did breed them and freeze them it would be worth it but maybe i should wait. i have another question. even after shedding its been a month or so and my snake has been getting gray scales on her back i checked everything it could be but couldnt find anything that looked like it..do u think that its because the humiditys to low, or just the way shes colored??