Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,295

1 members and 3,294 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding loan?

Thanks

Breeding loan?

I read something some time ago about a breeder loaning out males (to trusted people I hope) and started wondering if any one else has done this or heard of it. Who knows maybe in the future there will be a BP 'dating' service xD

Thanks

Re: Breeding loan?

I've done a few breeding loans. Generally the person who owns the females gives them to the person with the male. The person who owns the male breeds them and gets eggs. Depending on their location, the female can be picked up (if local) after she lays eggs (and preferrably has had a few meals), or shipped back with the babies when they hatch (if not local). Once eggs hatch, the hatchlings are split up based on the agreement between the two breeders before the breeding loan started (generally 50/50 with the owner of the male picking first since they did all of the work, unless the female is much more expensive than the male).
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,287 Times in 921 Posts

I've done it as well. They're fun..don't always pan out given all the variables, but fun nonetheless. It's also a great way to get co-dom morphs if you're low on cash, and have a bit of patience and a friend with some great morphs!
    ALL THAT SLITHERS - Ball Python aficionado/keeper
    breeder of African soft fur Rats. Keeper of other small exotic mammals.
    10 sugar gliders

2 tenrecs
    5 jumping spiders
    paludarium with fish
    Brisingr the albino
    Snowy the BEL
    Piglet the albino conda hognose

FINALLY got my BEL,no longer breeding snakes. married to mechnut450..

Registered User JenEric Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

I have heard of it ...was looking it up too.......because only my het pied and he albino will be ready this year......all my codom males and females arent ready and I have a couple normal females 1200,2000 gram females that are ready and if i cant get a codom male ready or bought i was thinking of trying to get one on loan.........*hint* *hint* if not i can wait till next year........thanks for more info.....anyone wanna help out?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

i did one this season,sent my female to the breeder(who has a crap reptuation on here and other boards) hoping for lessers,,she laid a crap clutch,mostly slugs and all we hatched was normals,,so he sent me a female enchi,and is sending me a male orangebelly(not bad for him being such a bad guy,eh),,so it still works for me,i would do it again in a heart beat,but hoping for better resualts next time
    1.0 blonde pastel,1.8 normal,1.1 het orange ghost 1.0 het butterscotch 0.1 het green ghost 0.1 het albino 0.1 rtb 0.1 yellow anaconda 1.0 borneo blood 1.0 albino burmese

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by phunkyone808 View Post
    I have heard of it ...was looking it up too.......because only my het pied and he albino will be ready this year......all my codom males and females arent ready and I have a couple normal females 1200,2000 gram females that are ready and if i cant get a codom male ready or bought i was thinking of trying to get one on loan.........*hint* *hint* if not i can wait till next year........thanks for more info.....anyone wanna help out?
    You would actually have to send your females from what they said in the above posts, unless you work something out with the person that owns the male.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

I always thought that the male was the one that came to the female.... cuz ive heard some females take a long time to adjust and wont breed.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by matt71915 View Post
    I always thought that the male was the one that came to the female.... cuz ive heard some females take a long time to adjust and wont breed.
    If I owned a cool male like a Super Lesser (BEL), I'd want to breed it with some of my females (such as Pastel, Pewter, Pinstripe, etc.). If I only had three females lined up for him and a friend of mine asked to do a breeding loan between one of their Normals (or morphs) and my BEL, I'd be ok with that, but I'd still want to breed him with my females. Because of that, my friend's female would be given to me for the breeding season to breed with the BEL. That way, my females and my friend's female can all be bred with the BEL.

Also, if you're worried that the female will need time to adjust, you can always send your female a couple months in advance to give her time to adjust.
    Eric Wilson
    UltimateHerps
    www.ultimateherps.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LGL For This Useful Post:

matt71915 (08-16-2009)

Registered User JenEric Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

im trying to find someone locally in vegas and if i cant then i will just buy a codom male breeder size im in no rush to breed....i have 30+balls and 6 corns to work with its just my only breeder size males are hets. So we will see.....I was just trying to prepare for this season and not wait to ask to late..im thinking of picking up a cinny...and maybe my spider,pastel will be ready.........
    cause if i do a loan out of state and have to ship it would be shpping on me $60x2=120.for a little more i have a few codom males i can choose from breeder size and keep the whole clutch..
    thats why i was looking for a small fry like me locally that we can hook up and maybe build a good friendship!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LGL View Post
    If I owned a cool male like a Super Lesser (BEL), I'd want to breed it with some of my females (such as Pastel, Pewter, Pinstripe, etc.). If I only had three females lined up for him and a friend of mine asked to do a breeding loan between one of their Normals (or morphs) and my BEL, I'd be ok with that, but I'd still want to breed him with my females. Because of that, my friend's female would be given to me for the breeding season to breed with the BEL. That way, my females and my friend's female can all be bred with the BEL.

Also, if you're worried that the female will need time to adjust, you can always send your female a couple months in advance to give her time to adjust.

That makes sense, i didnt really think about that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast