Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,723

4 members and 2,719 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Update on Buckskin baby-she's not so baby anymore!

She's 14 months old now can you believe it! We had a family friend come over who was really upset with us for not having her trained yet. We were hurt and wondering why on earth he was so upset with us for not training a year-old Turns out he thought she was two years old and just sitting in the pasture untrained

She's halter broke-obviously, I've trained her in basic round pen work, very little started in lunging because I don't want to stress her joints. She picks up her feet, I've saddled and bridled her and worked her in the round pen. She's had some ground work. She walks through creeks and over bridges......I can't think of what else to do while we're waiting for her to grow up and turn two so we can break her to ride!!!

She's 15.1 hands right now. (my little sister in the pictures)

At the county fair mom and daughter (I know the halter is way too big for mom, but we just through it on while we were preparing her for the show then put on her show halter as well)

***Does anyone have experience with keeping a mother and daughter into adulthood? We've heard different opinions on this. Like-we'll always have troubles keeping them together and riding them together.***

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Re: Update on Buckskin baby-she's not so baby anymore!

Sorry I'm bumping this! I keep checking in to see if anyone responded to my question on keeping a mom and daughter together.

When we go riding we leave the filly tied up for an hour or two. She does really well being left on the farm alone and tied up. Once I do break her, and she's safe enough to ride outside the round pen, would riding her with mom be a good idea? I would really like to always have her mom with us on trail rides in the beginning because she's so level headed and calm.

And my question again, does anyone have experience keeping a mom and daughter as riding horses at the same farm? I keep hearing mixed opinions about it/riding them together.

Thanks

We have a mom and a daughter that have always been together. The daughter (Penny) what handled constantly when she was little and the mom (Tera) was always very cooperative when it came to us messing with Penny.

Now Penny is 3 or so, and there haven't really been any problems. Tera was kept at my aunts house for a while without Penny and there wasn't much change in behavior in either of them...no more than when you seperate any horse from their herd.

When they take Penny and Scarlett (another mare about Tera's age) out to ride Tera does get a bit panic-y if she is left in the pasture alone, but I don't know if that is b/c of her daughter, or just b/c of being left alone. Could be either. We have had horses that do that in a herd of unrelated horses. Tera can't be ridden really any more so I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

She is a pretty little girl and good luck with her!!
    ~ Shannon

1.2 normal bp ~ Lilly (06) ~ Delilah (09) ~ Joey (06)
    1.0 cinnamon bp ~ Doughnut (08)
    1.0 mojave bp ~ Jay (08)
    0.1 pastel bp ~ Patsy (09)
    2.0 cats ~ Lil Bit (08) ~ Toby (08)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tweets_4611 For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (09-07-2009)

Thanks

Nice looking buckskin!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Blu Mongoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tweets_4611 View Post
    We have a mom and a daughter that have always been together. The daughter (Penny) what handled constantly when she was little and the mom (Tera) was always very cooperative when it came to us messing with Penny.

Now Penny is 3 or so, and there haven't really been any problems. Tera was kept at my aunts house for a while without Penny and there wasn't much change in behavior in either of them...no more than when you seperate any horse from their herd.

When they take Penny and Scarlett (another mare about Tera's age) out to ride Tera does get a bit panic-y if she is left in the pasture alone, but I don't know if that is b/c of her daughter, or just b/c of being left alone. Could be either. We have had horses that do that in a herd of unrelated horses. Tera can't be ridden really any more so I'm not sure if that would make a difference.

She is a pretty little girl and good luck with her!!
    Thank you for the info! I'm hoping we won't have any issues with keeping them together. Right now the filly gets anxious if we work with her while mom is out for a ride, but I'm assuming that's because she's still a baby. I always have to remind myself "she's still a baby!" because she's so huge and I forget she doesn't have 10+ years of experience like all the other horses on the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Blu Mongoose View Post
    Nice looking buckskin!
    Thank you very much! She is an awesome looking girl! When she was born and still wet from the fluids she looked like a bay, I was really bummed, but then she dried off and turned into a buckskin

Thanks

She's gorgeous and a big girl! What name did you end up choosing for her?
    ~~Joanna~~

9. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Her name is Tora -I can't remember what tribe/culture it's from but it means "one born in thunder". She was born during a thunderstorm so the name fits pretty well!

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I'm of course biased, but I think she is one good looking filly! Huge is no understatement! I'm super excited to break her this spring. I don't think it will be terrible, we've put a lot of work into her and she's not a hyper horse. She stopped kicking at us about 6 months ago, that was the hardest thing to break her of-I was really struggling with that one. She doesn't rear or buck. We got some great advice to fix rearing a harmless/non aggressive way. I made her stand under a tree, she reared and the branches spooked her. She hasn't reared on me since! (It was a safe tree, a young one with thin branches, no way she could have injured herself-this way she learned that she spooked herself because she reared, not because I did something to her)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Her name is Tora -I can't remember what tribe/culture it's from but it means "one born in thunder". She was born during a thunderstorm so the name fits pretty well!
    Oh what a perfect name for her! I can't wait to see you riding her someday. I just bet she'll be a great mare for you.
    ~~Joanna~~

13. The Following User Says Thank You to frankykeno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    Oh what a perfect name for her! I can't wait to see you riding her someday. I just bet she'll be a great mare for you.
    You're getting me even more excited!!! I have roughly 8 months to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast