Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,800

1 members and 2,799 guests
Fini,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Western hognose????

Ok...
    How big do they get!?!?! Ive read males are around 20" full grown and females can get to 3'
    What would be a good size tank for a male if they dont get big?

I also read that they will do well in low humidity like 20% or something like that, but what about higher humidity?

Just thinking of future possibilities because I would like to get a boa next, but since they get bigger i probably cant get one yet, so a hog would be a good one to get untill then.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

2. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

iloveleucie63 (08-11-2009)

Thanks

Re: Western hognose????

They stay pretty small. I have mine in ARS hatchling racks, and it seems fine for all but my large females.

As far as humidity goes, they do like it very low. High humidity is definately NOT an option.

Thanks

My yearling male is about 14" long right now, I have him in a 5 gal tank right now and he's doing great. The humidity is 40% - 50% in the summer and lower in the winter...whatever the house is at. He will be moving to a 10 Gal permanently, probably in the spring when my '09 Pine Snake outgrows the 10 Gal.

0.0.2 Corn Snake
    1.0 Kunashir Island Japanese Rat Snake
    1.1 Pine Snake
    1.0 Spotted Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    They stay pretty small. I have mine in ARS hatchling racks, and it seems fine for all but my large females.

As far as humidity goes, they do like it very low. High humidity is definately NOT an option.
    Well, where i live its sort of high, i can leave my BP cage not sprayed or anything and it usually stays around 50% but its covered on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by leper65 View Post
    My yearling male is about 14" long right now, I have him in a 5 gal tank right now and he's doing great. The humidity is 40% - 50% in the summer and lower in the winter...whatever the house is at. He will be moving to a 10 Gal permanently, probably in the spring when my '09 Pine Snake outgrows the 10 Gal.
    Cool. Thats a good size. I just want one to be another one thats easier to care for (i was also thinking about a corn snake), and since theyre smaller it cuts down on costs, and I already have 3 un-used 10g tanks. Could most males be kept in a 10g tank?
    This is my signature
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

6. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leper65 View Post
    That tank is a bit to small don't you think? I have my 10"ish long rufous in a 10 gal long and i'm fixing to have to put him in a 20 because I think he's about to outgrow out.

I would say for a male western hognose, a 20 gal long would be perfect size for him as an adult.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (08-10-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    That tank is a bit to small don't you think? I have my 10"ish long rufous in a 10 gal long and i'm fixing to have to put him in a 20 because I think he's about to outgrow out.

I would say for a male western hognose, a 20 gal long would be perfect size for him as an adult.
    If he only gets 20" long, I think the 10 will be fine. I really don't think he'll need a 30" long tank like the 20 gal long, but if it looks like he does, he'll get one.

0.0.2 Corn Snake
    1.0 Kunashir Island Japanese Rat Snake
    1.1 Pine Snake
    1.0 Spotted Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Dreamsicles View Post
    How big do they get!?!?! Ive read males are around 20" full grown and females can get to 3'
    Males barely grow 2 ft. long, and females barely get 3 ft. long. For a male, a 10 gallon can last it it's entire life. That's what I like about the males ;]

I also read that they will do well in low humidity like 20% or something like that, but what about higher humidity?
    The humidity level for them can be 40% at the most, anything above that shouldn't be too good. They live in dry climates, where the air is not very humid. So if you do get a Western Hog, make sure the humidity doesn't get over 40%.

Just thinking of future possibilities because I would like to get a boa next, but since they get bigger i probably cant get one yet, so a hog would be a good one to get untill then.
    Hogs make great pets, and are so adorable. I've had mine for a week and 2 days and I just love him to death. They have quite some personalities too :] They also will rarely bite, but if they do you shouldn't let them chew on you.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    The humidity level for them can be 40% at the most, anything above that shouldn't be too good. They live in dry climates, where the air is not very humid. So if you do get a Western Hog, make sure the humidity doesn't get over 40%.

Hogs make great pets, and are so adorable. I've had mine for a week and 2 days and I just love him to death. They have quite some personalities too :] They also will rarely bite, but if they do you shouldn't let them chew on you.
    Thats good cause I think thats like the normal humidity of my room. lol.

I like hogs, i really like the albino ones too but morphs are to expensive. I like normals though. I dont think id want him to chew on me
    This is my signature
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

12. The Following User Says Thank You to I<3Dreamsicles For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Ok...
    They are not large snakes but they are very active. You could physically house a male in a 10g for life, but I think hoggies appreciate some extra space (once they are adults--obviously for a juvie you'll want to use a small enclosure). I have a yearling female that just looks cramped in her 10g so she'll be getting an upgrade soon.

They are amusing little animals to watch, hope you get yours soon.

ps. Mine chewed on me for a little while and I was fine. Two teeny little pinpricks of blood and I never felt the initial bite (which is why I didn't realize she was chewing on me). She did look adorable trying to swallow my finger though.

Thanks

Thats good cause I think thats like the normal humidity of my room. lol.

I like hogs, i really like the albino ones too but morphs are to expensive. I like normals though. I dont think id want him to chew on me
    Lol, that's a good thing.

Especially if you may be allergic to the saliva, letting the Hog keep chewing you and pumping the saliva into your system wouldn't be the best choice to do.

I live in Arizona, where it's both hot and humid which makes it perfect for a Hog. My Hog is doing very well actually, I fed him last Thursday and he did not refuse it at all. He went right for it too. The funny thing is he doesn't strike he just takes it :].
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast