Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,669

3 members and 2,666 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Yellow Anaconda for Me?

Okay now please don't yell at me for this. I am in NO way rushing into things. I'm not that kind of person. Just for example I have wanted a monitor/tegu for years now and have waited because I didn't feel ready. But I have been considering a...... Yellow anaconda. DUN DUN DUN!(sorry) NOW I have a few questions. Males average out at 8ft correct? The biggest snake I have is a 5 1/2' RTB. Am I ready? What size enclosure do they require? What setup do they require? ect. Hopefully neal will chime in soon. I know he has a yellow.

Thanks

Re: Yellow Anaconda for Me?

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBreeder View Post
    Okay now please don't yell at me for this. I am in NO way rushing into things. I'm not that kind of person. Just for example I have wanted a monitor/tegu for years now and have waited because I didn't feel ready. But I have been considering a...... Yellow anaconda. DUN DUN DUN!(sorry) NOW I have a few questions. Males average out at 8ft correct? The biggest snake I have is a 5 1/2' RTB. Am I ready? What size enclosure do they require? What setup do they require? ect. Hopefully neal will chime in soon. I know he has a yellow.
    Get a baby, not an adult.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Get a baby, not an adult.
    Lol. I know that. I was looking at an 09.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, get a baby most definately. If I were you, I would personally wait to get your baby from Matt Crews(victoryreptiles). The parents are sweethearts, and thats where my little girl came from. Males can typically average 7-9 feet. I think Matt's is around 8. I know his female is like 11. As long as you know the dangers, and have been around snakes for awhile, I don't see any reason that you wouldn't be ready. The yellows are like a dwarf to the greens, and they don't get nearly as heavy.

As far as cage sizes, it really depends on the you and the snake. My girl was born October 15, 2008, and since I have gotten her, I want to say she is in 30 gal long, which she will be ready to change tanks come around November. I will put her in a 65gal long. Then from there I will have a 4x2.5 foot tank made for her.

I keep her on cypress mulch(double milled) by T-Rex. She likes it, it holds humidity good. When you do get your yellow though, after you let it settle in, spend a good bit of time holding, and work at getting him comfortable with petting, my anaconda isn't head shy, I rub the top of her head, or i'll rub on the bottom of her jaw and she loves it.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Yes, get a baby most definately. If I were you, I would personally wait to get your baby from Matt Crews(victoryreptiles). The parents are sweethearts, and thats where my little girl came from. Males can typically average 7-9 feet. I think Matt's is around 8. I know his female is like 11. As long as you know the dangers, and have been around snakes for awhile, I don't see any reason that you wouldn't be ready. The yellows are like a dwarf to the greens, and they don't get nearly as heavy.

As far as cage sizes, it really depends on the you and the snake. My girl was born October 15, 2008, and since I have gotten her, I want to say she is in 30 gal long, which she will be ready to change tanks come around November. I will put her in a 65gal long. Then from there I will have a 4x2.5 foot tank made for her.

I keep her on cypress mulch(double milled) by T-Rex. She likes it, it holds humidity good. When you do get your yellow though, after you let it settle in, spend a good bit of time holding, and work at getting him comfortable with petting, my anaconda isn't head shy, I rub the top of her head, or i'll rub on the bottom of her jaw and she loves it.

Thanks Neal. So my male will need about a 4x2' you say?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PythonBreeder View Post
    Thanks Neal. So my male will need about a 4x2' you say?
    Yes, that would be the appropriate size tank you would need for a yellow male. I will moreless go probably 5x2.5 for my female only because she gets bigger. Yet that also depends on how big around she gets also.

I know they have yellows on KS, I personally wouldn't get one off there, because a lot of people sell stuff as CB when they're really WC. Also you will most probably get one that may be a bit nippy.

As far as breeding, the 2 most popular breeders I know are Matt Grews(victryreptiles) and Bill(Great Valley Serp(something)) which is based out of california. Bill has his priced a bit higher, and Matt may have some later this year, if not let me know and I will help you track down one.

And your welcome.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Ben Renick has great snakes.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tbowman View Post
    Ben Renick has great snakes.
    I don't think he has any baby yellows, but yes he has great greens, and a hybrid.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Bill at The Great Valley Serpentarium in Lodi,Ca has some. I was just out there a few weeks ago.

Thanks

Your cage size recommendations are too small.

My yellow is a female, 3 yrs. old, around 10 foot and lives in an 8x4x2. She has a large tub for soaking, good hides and is never in the same place for very long. She's a sweetheart to handle and is absolutely gorgeous.

If you have an RTB, I see no reason why not to get a yellow. They can be nippy at the start but regular handling will get them out of that.

Good luck, and definitely buy a neonate.

As for the monitor/tegu, they are ultra cool and much more work intensive than any snakes.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast