Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,035

2 members and 3,033 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Unhappy Housing and Heating Question for Ball Python

Hello! I'm new to the forum! I have a question about a Plastic Tub enclosure for a Ball Python i'm getting in a month or so it's related to heating.
    Is it OK to use a UTH with a plastic tub?(I read in a forum that to stop it melting you could wrap the UTH in a towel) but i'm unsure if enough heat will get to the tub this way?
    I'm kinda in a dilemna with this because i've been reading that you need to buy thermostats/rheostats aswell and i have never owned a snake/reptile before.
    Basically if you guys can help me out with what i need to buy to heat the plastic tub for my snake?

Thanks

Re: Housing and Heating Question for Ball Python

buy the uth. and a thermostat. with the thermostat dialed down to 90-92 degrees there will be no issues with it melting. the reason why there is a warning on the uth is because when it is not regulated by a thermostat it can reach 120 degrees. i also do not suggest sticking the uth to the tub. instead wrapping it in foil and placeing it underneath. i stuck mine to it and now realized i cant remove it for cleaning etc...
    goodluck. feel free to ask as many questions as you need!
    WELCOME!

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Qetu For This Useful Post:

P5YCHO1192 (08-09-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Doesn't matter what surface the UTH is on, it needs to be used with a thermostat. A UTH left unregulated can easily burn a BP.

So get a thermostat and a UTH. A good and cheap thermostat is the reptitemp 500r. You might only be able to find this one online though. I haven't seen it in stores.
    ~Steffe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaorte For This Useful Post:

P5YCHO1192 (08-09-2009)

Thanks

Smile Re: Housing and Heating Question for Ball Python

Thanks guys i just got the stuff today ,aspen,heat mat,leaves for cover,2x hides and a waterdish also a thermometer but can you clear something up for me though ? The guy in the petstore says i dont need a thermostat and i also dont need a hygrometer...to give you an idea>>>> the heat mat is an ultratherm 6x11 which is fine for the time being (in size i mean).
    Also i wont be getting the snake for a few weeks as the only two babies in there are being force-fed so if they dont eat by themselves im going to order in another one and make sure he/she eats before i get it.I have a big waterdish so humidity should be no problem and i'll mist everyday i can upload pics soon if you like ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by P5YCHO1192 View Post
    Thanks guys i just got the stuff today ,aspen,heat mat,leaves for cover,2x hides and a waterdish also a thermometer but can you clear something up for me though ? The guy in the petstore says i dont need a thermostat and i also dont need a hygrometer...to give you an idea>>>> the heat mat is an ultratherm 6x11 which is fine for the time being (in size i mean).
    Also i wont be getting the snake for a few weeks as the only two babies in there are being force-fed so if they dont eat by themselves im going to order in another one and make sure he/she eats before i get it.I have a big waterdish so humidity should be no problem and i'll mist everyday i can upload pics soon if you like ...
    "The guy in the petstore says " that would be where you stop listening lol.

if you're using a plastic enclosure especially a thermostat is an absolute necessity.

Its always best to start off with a healthy baby. You can get a captive bred baby from a breeder for way less than what you'll pay at the petstore. I cant see your user info from the reply window here, but if there are any shows near you you can find normals ranging from 10-25 dollars, plus the breeder or broker is there to actually give you some info on them.

even if you'd get a baby shipped to you, it will be about the same cost as one from petsmartco.

hope this helps

Thanks

The guy at the petstore is WRONG. :/ And sadly, that is usually the case.

You do need a thermostat and you do need a hygrometer.

I would recommend not getting the snake from the petstore because as you said, they are force feeding them which you should never need to do with a healthy BP. I would search for a good breeder around you or see if there is a local reptile show you can go to. You will find that buying directly from the breeder you are going to get a healthy baby who costs half as much as those petstore snakes. Most people sell their normal BPs for around $25.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

im guessing that the thermometer they sold you is either a zoomed or zilla and probally analogor one of those stick on the tank ones......
    extremely inaccurate!

you definately need a thermostat and a quality digital themometer/hydrometer.

ball pythons should never be force fed only if they are in extreme danger of dying. i would surely caution you about buying a 9$ unstarted captive hatched and/or imported babies for 79$ or more from any petstore.

most breeders either give away normal males or charge a small fee for them. sometimes up to 50$(depending on shipping or pickup) sometimes females will be slighty higher than what they are charging for a male.

Thanks

Thanks i doubt theres many where i live (breeders) as i'm irish but i'll have a look i'm not going to buy a force fed snake so i'll look for a breeder and get a ball from there the thermometer i got is digital with a probe and i'll get a hygromete and another thermometer for the other side of the tank
    Thanks for all your help

Thanks

Actually, I am pretty sure there are some breeders in Ireland and Scotland. I am not really sure myself but I know we have some members from there!
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Good job on doing your research and getting everything set-up first You are definitely starting off in the right direction...

Rob
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast