Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,843

0 members and 2,843 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

San Francisco laws re. Boas/Pythons

I thought I'd ask this question here, since I can't seem to get a straight answer anywhere else! Does anyone know the laws & regulations regarding Pythons & Boas in the CITY of San Francisco? I've heard it's illegal to own them from some people, others say it's only illegal to sell them... and outside of the city, I don't believe there are any restrictions.

I've done plenty of research, and considering I'm a reference librarian, you can trust I've been thorough! But with everything I can find on the subject, they still don't answer the simple questions - Can I have BPs, and if not, what are the penalties for owning/selling? Only thing left for me to do is call fish & game, but I really don't want to call attention to myself. TIA for any input!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: San Francisco laws re. Boas/Pythons

Just look up the bylaws at the city hall.
    I saw a program on animal planet and the guy in san francisco had all his boas and pythons seized.

Thanks

http://www.municode.com/library/HTML/14136/ch001.html
    Try this link for the complete code.

SEC. 50. PROHIBITION.

No person shall have, keep, maintain or have in his possession or under his control any wild and potentially dangerous animal as defined in Section 51, unless excepted therefrom pursuant to Sections 50 through 66 of this Chapter.

(Added by Ord. 81-78, App. 2/10/78)

SEC. 50.1. SALE OF WILD AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS PROHIBITED.

It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to sell or offer for sale any wild and potentially dangerous animal as defined in Section 51 within the limits of the City and County of San Francisco.

SEC. 51. DEFINITION OF "WILD AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS ANIMAL".

For purposes of Sections 50 through 66, a wild and potentially dangerous animal is defined as an animal which is wild by nature and not customarily domesticated in the City and County of San Francisco and which, because of its size, disposition, or other characteristics could constitute a danger to human life or property. Such wild and potentially dangerous animals shall be deemed to include:

I. Class Mammilia

A) Order Carnivora

1. Family Candidae (dog), excepting Canis Familiaris (domestic dog), and including but not limited to such members as the wolf, the coyote and the jackal.

2. Family Felidae (cat), including but not limited to such members as the tiger, the jaguar, the leopard, the lion and the cougar, excepting Felix Catus.

3. Family Hyenidae (hyena).

4. Family Ursidae (bear).

B) Order Probscidea (elephant).

C) Order Primata (primates), including but not limited to the chimpanzee, the baboon, the orangutan, the gibbon, and the gorilla, excepting the Family Hominidae (man).

D) Order Artiodactyla, even-toed hoofed mammals, excluding the domesticated species of the Family Suidae (domestic pig) and Family Bovidae (cattle, sheep, goats).

E) Order Perissodactyla, odd-toed hoofed mammals, excluding the domesticated species of the Family Equidae (horses, donkeys, etc.)

II. Class Reptillia

A) Order Squamata

1. Sub-Order Serpentes, all front and rear fanged venomous snakes and all species of the Families Boidae and Pythonidae.
    2. Sub-Order Lacertilia, both venomous species of the Family Helodermatidae (Gila monster and Mexican beaded lizard).

B) Order Crocodilia (crocodile and alligator).

III. Any other species of the animal kingdom (as opposed to vegetable or mineral) which is venomous to human beings whether its venom is transmitted by bite, sting, touch or other means, except the honey-producing bee.

SEC. 52. ELIGIBLE FOR PERMITS.

Thirty days after the effective date of this ordinance, no person shall have, keep, maintain or have in his or her possession or under his or her control any wild animal of the kinds included in this Section, unless said animal is the subject of a valid permit granted to such a person. Animals eligible for said permits shall be limited to the following: Species known as Saimiri sciurea (squirrel monkey), Mustela putorius (ferret) for whom a state permit has been received and family Callithricidae (marmosets).

(Amended by Ord. 542-82, App. 11/26/82)

SEC. 53. APPLICATION AND FEE FOR PERMIT.

An application for any permit allowed pursuant to Section 52 of this Chapter shall be made by any person who has in his possession or under this control, a wild and potentially dangerous animal, to the Director Health Care Services, hereinafter referred to as the Director, in writing and upon a form furnished by the Director or his designated representative. Said application shall be verified by the person who desires to have, keep, maintain, or have in his possession, or under his control, in the City and County, the animal for which a permit is allowed, and shall set forth the following:

(a) Name, address, and telephone number of the applicant;

(b) The applicant's interest in such wild and potentially dangerous animal;

(c) The proposed location, and the name, address, and telephone number of the owner of such location, and of the lessee, if any;

(d) The general description as well as the date of birth and/or age of the wild and potentially dangerous animal for which the permit is sought;

(e) Any information known to the applicant concerning vicious or dangerous propensities of such wild and potentially dangerous animal;

(f) The housing arrangements for such wild and potentially dangerous animal with particular details as to safety of structure, locks, fencing, and other satisfactory devices which shows a compliance with Section 54;

(g) Noises or odors anticipated in keeping of such wild and potentially dangerous animals;

(h) Prior history of incidents affecting the public health or safety involving said wild and potentially dangerous animal;

(i) Any additional information required by the Director at the time of filing such application or thereafter; and

(j) Upon issuance of the permit for which application has been made, the applicant shall pay a fee of $75 to the Tax Collector.

SEC. 54. CONFINEMENT REGULATIONS.

The Director, in consultation with the Animal Control Officer, the Zoo Director, the City Planning Department and the Police Department, may set regulations in connection with the issuance of permits regarding the size and type of cage or other means of confinement, the distance from the place of confinement to adjoining property, and any other regulations deemed reasonably necessary by the Director to ensure the maintenance of humane and sanitary conditions for the animal and the safety of persons and property. A copy of the rules and regulations shall be furnished by the Director of the Bureau of Environmental Health Services upon request. In applying the regulations to a given situation, the Director shall take into consideration the type, nature, disposition and training of the specific wild and potentially dangerous animal involved.

SEC. 55. OTHER LAWS.

In applying for a permit under Section 52 of this Chapter, the applicant must provide assurance that he is in compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws and regulations regarding such wild and potentially dangerous animals.

SEC. 56. REVIEW OF APPLICATION FOR PERMIT.

Copies of any application for permit under Section 52 of this Chapter shall be sent by the Director to the Police Department, the Animal Control Officer, the City Planning Department and the Zoo Director for their approval, and no permit shall be granted without the receipt of these approvals. The filing of an application constitutes agreement by the applicant to allow inspection of the premises where the animal is kept or will be kept for the purpose of determining approval or disapproval of the permit application as well as the continued compliance with the provisions of this ordinance by all participating agencies.

SEC. 57. PERMIT RESTRICTIONS.

No permit shall be granted except with such conditions attached as shall, in the opinion of the Director, reasonably insure the health, safety, and general welfare of the public and said animal referred to in the permit application. The applicant must show knowledge and ability to properly care for said animal, and no permit shall be issued to any person who has been found guilty of cruelty to animals. The permit shall be nontransferable; it shall apply only to the animal described therein which is confined at the location stated therein and shall be valid only to the person named as owner of said animal therein.

SEC. 58. TERM AND RENEWAL OF PERMITS.

No permit required by Section 52 of this Chapter shall be granted for a period in excess of one year. An application for a new permit shall be made not less than 45 days prior to the expiration of the prior permit.

SEC. 59. REVOCATION OF PERMITS.

The Director may, for good cause, revoke any permit or provisions thereof. In the event it is reasonably necessary to protect against an immediate threat or danger to the public health or safety, the Director may suspend any permit or portion thereof without hearing, for a period not to exceed 30 days, and in such case the animal referred to in said permit will be taken into protective custody by the Animal Control Officer.

SEC. 60. EXCEPTIONS.

The provisions of Sections 50 through 66 of the Chapter shall not prohibit the selling, having, keeping, maintaining, possessing, or controlling of any wild and potentially dangerous animals within the City and County of San Francisco by any of the following: zoos, circuses, museums, educational institutions, veterinary hospitals, the public pound, or film and video productions, provided that said animals are had, kept, maintained, possessed or controlled in compliance with other local, state and federal regulations and said animals are confined in a manner deemed by the Director to protect the public from harm, and a California Board-certified veterinarian is present to insure the wellbeing of said animals.

(Added by Ord. 81-78, App. 2/10/78; amended by Ord. 331-93, App. 10/22/93)

SEC. 61. EXCEPTION– FOR TRANSPORTATION OF THROUGH CITY AND COUNTY.

The provisions of Sections 50 through 66 of this Chapter shall not apply to any wild and potentially dangerous animal, when such person, with the permission of the Department of Public Health, is transporting such animal through the City and County, has taken adequate safeguards to protect the public and has notified the Department of Public Health, the Police Department and the Animal Control Officer of the proposed route of transportation and time thereof.

SEC. 62. NOTICE OF ESCAPE.

Any person who has, keeps, or maintains a wild and potentially dangerous animal as permitted in Section 52 of this Chapter that escapes from its confinement shall immediately notify the Department of Public Health, the Police Department and the Animal Control Officer of such escape.

SEC. 63. IMPOUNDMENT.

Any wild and potentially dangerous animal as defined in Section 51 of this Chapter which is found running loose in the City and County of San Francisco shall be impounded by the Animal Control Officer.

SEC. 64. NOTICE OF REMOVAL.

Whenever an Animal Control Officer causes the removal of such wild and potentially dangerous animal as herein authorized, and the Officer knows, or is able to ascertain, the name and address of the owner thereof, such Officer shall immediately give or cause to be given notice in writing to such owner of the fact of such removal, the grounds thereof, the place to which such animal has been removed, and of the procedures for recovery of impounded animals.

SEC. 65. DISPOSITION OF WILD AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS .

Reclamation by an owner who holds a currently valid permit of any impounded wild and potentially dangerous animal will be permitted upon the showing of said permit for said animal, upon receipt of permission for said reclamation from the Director, and upon the payment to the Animal Control Officer of the actual costs for the capture, impoundment and care of such animal. Any person owning a wild and potentially dangerous animal but not possessing a currently valid permit, may reclaim such animal only when said owner can assure the Director that the animal will be forthwith removed from the City and County of San Francisco, and after payment of the fees stated above to the Animal Control Officer. Any animal which has been impounded or taken into custody which is not reclaimed by the owner pursuant to this Section within fourteen (14) days after notice to reclaim has been given shall be deemed to be abandoned, and may be sold, destroyed or otherwise disposed of by the Animal Control Officer, provided, however, that if said animal is dangerous to retain or is suffering excessively, it may forthwith be humanely destroyed by the Animal Control Officer.

SEC. 66. PENALTY.

Any person who has, keeps, maintains or has in his possession or under his control a wild and potentially dangerous animal in violation of any of the provisions of Sections 50 through 66 of this Chapter shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to imprisonment in the County Jail for not more than six (6) months or a fine not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500) or both.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemastercanada View Post
    Just look up the bylaws at the city hall.
    I saw a program on animal planet and the guy in san francisco had all his boas and pythons seized.
    Yeah, I already looked up the bylaws, but they were confusing... guess I'll have to get my lawyer sister to interpret them, LOL.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

P.S. I've heard they generally don't bother private keepers, as long as they're not causing a disturbance. I hope that's true! Ironic that domestic dogs aren't considered a "dangerous animal," when they cause more harm than any snakes around here... don't get me wrong, I have a harmless dog who I love dearly, but it just seems a little backwards. Ya know?
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    Yeah, I already looked up the bylaws, but they were confusing... guess I'll have to get my lawyer sister to interpret them, LOL.
    I underlined the part for boas and pythons you can not have them in SF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakemastercanada View Post
    http://www.municode.com/library/HTML/14136/ch001.html
    Try this link for the complete code.

SEC. 50. PROHIBITION.

II. Class Reptillia

A) Order Squamata

1. Sub-Order Serpentes, all front (obviously any vipers.) and rear fanged (Hognose, false water cobras and all other rear fanged snakes.) venomous snakes and all species of the Families Boidae (ALL boas) and Pythonidae. (ALL pythons)
    Chris http://dragcave.net/user/sg1trogdor
    Time for some until I see

Thanks

Sounds like San Francisco is somewhere I would never ever EVER want to live.

They should just make a law saying "You can not own pets in this city" And it would be so much easier to understand that that wall of text about laws.
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

Thanks

Looks like I moved out of SF just in time to start my new hobby. However if it was me I would just keep quiet about owning a python in SF and not bring attention to myself. But then again that's me

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by syvil View Post
    Looks like I moved out of SF just in time to start my new hobby. However if it was me I would just keep quiet about owning a python in SF and not bring attention to myself. But then again that's me
    Yeah, that's why I hadn't asked or mentioned it before... but I figure it's safer to discuss on this forum, where I'm fairly anonymous, rather than calling anyone official. I'm probably moving soon anyway, so hopefully this won't be an issue for long!
    Lolo's Collection...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast