Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,304

0 members and 2,304 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Quagmire, my male mouse, Giggity Giggity Squeek

So I am making an attempt to start a breeding colony. So far I have 1.2, The last male died last week...So its been a little difficult for since I had no male...

I decided to get another male today...and I decided to call him Quagmire (after the character from Family Guy) Either the last male was sick and was not interested or Quagmire is just some sick perv...

I'm not too familiar on mouse sex, but Quagmire just keeps attempting to mate with the other two ladies...and they are not having it...I've seen mouse fights...but this is different...He keeps trying and they keep squeeking no...Despite the No's he keeps on insisting...and so now he's literally getting kicked and smacked...

So now I'm wondering...will 3 seconds be enough for the seeds to be planted...

Also do you think its safe for him to be in the same enclosure with the two girls....I'm scared of a bloody valentine overnight...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks

Re: Quagmire, my male mouse, Giggity Giggity Squeek

He should be fine. In my experience females will kick the living daylights out of the male for the first day or so, then they settle down and everyone is happy. Of course you do get the females that will just kill the male for no reason. It sounds like they just aren't in the "mood" right now. If he is successful in actually mounting them, they could become pregnant but its a waiting game. If he stops trying to breed with them and you see them becoming pudgy, they are probably pregnant, but only time will tell. I think mice go into heat every few days or so. I could be mistaken.
    Under Construction.....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

Montie Python (08-09-2009)

Thanks

Re: Quagmire, my male mouse, Giggity Giggity Squeek

In my experience, squeaking is good...squeaking makes babies, yis yis.

When I'm breeding, I keep the girl(s) with the guy until I know she's preggers. I usually pull the girl out and put her in her own shoebox tub when she's ready to pop, but that's my experience, your mileage may vary. =)

I haven't had girls kill a male before tho...could just be "i don't recognize your smell, you don't smell like us" squeaking and nipping. If he lasts a few days, he'll get your colony's smell and then should be good.
    0.1 ball python (Cleo), 0.1 surinam bcc (Carmen)
    1.0 sunglow motley corn (Jenson), 1.0 albino burmese (Lourdes)
    1.0 cat (Nicky), some mooses and ratters, 1.0 hubby (Rick)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cassandra For This Useful Post:

Montie Python (08-09-2009)