Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,887

3 members and 2,884 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Registered User Freddiesinmyseat's Avatar
    Thanks

Apprenticeships?

I was curious to know if anyone in the Portland, OR or Tacoma/Seattle, WA areas knew about any kind of breeder internship programs. Or if anyone possibly knew of other organizations that can provide you with more snake handling and/or breeding experience.

I'm really looking at reptiles being a business for me and while I'm working on my business plan and gaining the funds necessary to start and survive, I'd like to rack up as much experience as possible. Anyone even heard of people doing apprenticeships for python breeding? I'd be sticking to the smaller stuff seeing as how all the bigger snakes are being targeted for bans left and right nowadays...

Any helpful info would be appreciated. Oh, and if you decide to just point and laugh, by all means do so, it doesn't waste any of my time.

Thanks in advance!
    Visit my blog sometime! Fadere's Cirque du Chaos
    0.2 Normal Ball (Buttery McMuffintop aka Freddie, Slender Q. Thunderpants aka Slim)
    0.1 DSH Housecat (Loki aka Wafflenoggin)

Thanks

Re: Apprenticeships?

oh, and forgot to mention. I'm doing this out of the love for the reptiles, not because I plan on "getting rich quick" or have money as my main goal. So please don't give me the usual "don't do it for money" speech. I'm more than comfortable living frugally as long as I can do something I enjoy and support me and my family for the duration of my business.

Thanks again
    0.2 Normal Ball (Buttery McMuffintop aka Freddie, Slender Q. Thunderpants aka Slim)

Registered User Envied Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you been to a reptile show? Not that I dont love my fellow herpers but these are mostly guys doing this in their basements, not fortune 500 companies with internship programs. You may however be able to find a local breeder that will pass on knowledge and info as you help them maintain their collection/ work for them. I just wouldn't plan on trying to get any college credit or formal credit for it.
    --- enviedreptiles.com ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Envied Reptiles View Post
    Have you been to a reptile show? Not that I dont love my fellow herpers but these are mostly guys doing this in their basements, not fortune 500 companies with internship programs. You may however be able to find a local breeder that will pass on knowledge and info as you help them maintain their collection/ work for them. I just wouldn't plan on trying to get any college credit or formal credit for it.
    haven't been to a local show up here yet but that is the kind of thing I was looking for. I know they're not fortune 500 companies lol. wasn't planning on college or formal credit, maybe a reference but that'd be it other than the hands on experience.