Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,767

1 members and 2,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Question Anyone ever breed betas?

I just found my pair of bettas bred and have a nest full of eggs.So i wondered has anyone ever had them breed and hatch? Yes the female was removed .The male is a sweet bright red and mom has reddish fins but a wild body color.So any tips would be welcomed bigtime .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Re: Anyone ever breed betas?

Apparently you need to feed the babies something called microworms for the first week or so, then thay can also start eating rinsed baby brine shrimp until they get big enough to eat crushed dry fish food (flakes or crushed pellets). Make sure you take pics - I've never seen betta babies!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoFride For This Useful Post:

joepythons (07-31-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoFride08 View Post
    Apparently you need to feed the babies something called microworms for the first week or so, then thay can also start eating rinsed baby brine shrimp until they get big enough to eat crushed dry fish food (flakes or crushed pellets). Make sure you take pics - I've never seen betta babies!
    Yea now i gotta find some of those microworms lol.Now as far as pics go they are going to be the size of a flea .So no camera will be able to catch them for awhile lol
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

They'll be smaller than fleas.

I bred them years ago, and started them by putting stuff from a local swamp on the bottom of the tank. Their first food was "infusoria" - single-celled organisms - cultured from the dead leaves and things.

~Bruce

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BrucenBruce For This Useful Post:

joepythons (07-31-2009)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

The microworms and vinegar eels are what I raised my baby bettas on. It's super easy to culture them. You'll look for someone who will give/sell you a "culture" which will be a small amount of oatmeal(or cornmeal) with lots of nemotode like wormies.

You dump that into a flat tupperware of moistened oatmeal, and it turns into a billllion microworms. Then you harvest them until you're ready to make a new culture. Make another bin of moist oatmeal, and put a tablespoon of wormie gunk from the first culture. BINGO... a second culture.

There's a ton of tips and tricks on how to. But once you get the cultures, and get it going, you should be set. There's also some great foods like "trout chow" made by purina that is STUPENDOUS for growing the babies.

Once the baby bettas start to drop out of the nest, remove dad. He'll just get mad at retreiving the babys and trying to stuff them back into the nest and start eating them at that point. He'll tend the nest well though, if he's a good daddy fish.

The newly hatched bettas are teeeeeny eyeballs swimming around. Nearly impossible to see. You'll love them. Should be a couple hundred.

Hope you do well with them.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

joepythons (07-31-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    The microworms and vinegar eels are what I raised my baby bettas on. It's super easy to culture them. You'll look for someone who will give/sell you a "culture" which will be a small amount of oatmeal(or cornmeal) with lots of nemotode like wormies.

You dump that into a flat tupperware of moistened oatmeal, and it turns into a billllion microworms. Then you harvest them until you're ready to make a new culture. Make another bin of moist oatmeal, and put a tablespoon of wormie gunk from the first culture. BINGO... a second culture.

There's a ton of tips and tricks on how to. But once you get the cultures, and get it going, you should be set. There's also some great foods like "trout chow" made by purina that is STUPENDOUS for growing the babies.

Once the baby bettas start to drop out of the nest, remove dad. He'll just get mad at retreiving the babys and trying to stuff them back into the nest and start eating them at that point. He'll tend the nest well though, if he's a good daddy fish.

The newly hatched bettas are teeeeeny eyeballs swimming around. Nearly impossible to see. You'll love them. Should be a couple hundred.

Hope you do well with them.
    Ok thanks for the info .Yea i think dad is doing his job because i cant even look at the bowl without him coming to kill me .I found someone to get the micros from so now i just need to pay for them.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Well i found something that is supposably better for baby bettas.Its called decaped brine shrimp eggs.The seller says they found its better and more nutritious for them.So i will find out first hand
    Joe Haggard

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

It's good, and you can buy reg brine shrimp eggs and "decap" them yourself. But I think they are too large for newly hatched, and the 'wriggle' factor isn't there. They are a good nutrition source though!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    It's good, and you can buy reg brine shrimp eggs and "decap" them yourself. But I think they are too large for newly hatched, and the 'wriggle' factor isn't there. They are a good nutrition source though!
    Well if it does not catch thier attention then i will buy the micro-worms.If all fails my other fish can gobble them down lol
    Joe Haggard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I have a few different worm cultures growing. They would be fine for feeding betta fry. There are micro worms, banana worms, and walter worms. I bought my cultures off of ebay, and as long as you follow the instructions the "worm dude" sends you, you will be fine.
    The easiest way to go about feeding fry, is to find Hikari first bites. I learned my lesson last time with brine shrimp eggs. I am now having a serious snail issue.....