Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

3 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

City of Seward wants to take away snakes!!!

Ok, so the other day, I had an officer come up to my door because they got the general complaint about dogs barking...etc. After he whined to me about the dogs, which are inside for most of the day, he asked to see my snakes. Me, thinking nothing of it let him in my house(which I should have made him get a warrant) to see my snakes. He saw only 4 of the snakes that I own, but told me that I needed a "kenneling permit" since I had more than three. They fall under the category of "wild or exotic species" which means they fall under the kenneling category. The link to the ordinance is here and the info is about half way down the page under Regulation of Animals within the Corporate Limits http://www.cityofsewardne.com/Buildi...itycode/c6.pdf. You can type 212 in the search engine to get there. Anyways, since I need to get the permit, I have to go get signatures from people that live within 200ft of my house. There is a crazy lady that lives next door to me will not sign and I think she is the one who called the cops. I talked to her to get her to sign and gave her several instances where snakes are better than cats or dogs and she replied "I don't like snakes!" to everything I said to her. She is just a renter and I know the home owner so I don't think that I should have any problem getting him to sign the petition. I will be trying to get a permit within the next few weeks just to keep the city cops happy, but if I don't get a permit then I want to know how many people would be willing to call or send letters for me.

I will provide numbers of the City Administrator as well as his office address if I don't get the permit. But I just wanted more people behind me because for all I know, I am the only snake owner in Seward Nebraska right now, or the only one that has a crazy old lady that lives next to me. I will post updates as the time comes, but it would be great to have people supporting me if I need to get the city ordinance changed. Thanks everyone!
    1.0 Pastel poss het ghost ball 0.1 B&W Cal King
    0.1 poss het ghost 1.0 Blotched Cal King
    1.3 Normal balls 1.0 Striped Alb. King
    1.2 Redtail BCI 0.1 Albino Cal King
    1.1 Pastel Redtail BCI 0.1 Aberrant Cal King
    0.2 Anery Corns 0.1 Normal Corn
    2.0 Albino Corns 0.1 Red Corn
    1.0 B&W Col. Tegu
    1.2 OrangexCitrus Beardies 1.1 Sandfire Beardies

Thanks

Re: City of Seward wants to take away snakes!!!

Ok, so now the city police have told me that I must get everyone to sign my petition and if just one person doesn't sign then the permit is voided. I have already signed up to be on the agenda of the Seward city council meeting to discuss my case with the coucil and talk to them to allow my permit. I will probably need all the help I can get considering it is a small town and they want to keep everyone happy. If you have any useful information such as what points to raise or how to go about persuading them to allow the permit then let me know asap. I have already thought of an approach by telling them what I own and that the species of snakes I have have no record of ever injuring a person considering they will all be thinking of the Florida python case. If anyone has ever had a case like this or has any information then email me at hinrichs_football@hotmail.com or send letters to 1239 Sunrise Drive, Seward Ne 68434. Thanks and all the help is appreciated!!
    1.0 B&W Col. Tegu

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Make sure the cops are not only correct but the proper agency to enforce regulations. If they're not then it is possible that you have been misinformed.

Ask to see the guidelines in writing.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

I think that the cops are the only ones in town to enforce the ordinance. They have been the only ones in contact with me about the issue. He has shown me the ordinance several times and has explained that I am in violation of the kenneling ordinance or exotic pets ordinance. The link for the ordinance is up top and the info is under misc animals.
    1.0 B&W Col. Tegu

Thanks

if you need any help with letters and what not, im in.

1.1 Het Albino BP
    1.0 Banded king
    1.1 Amelanistic Het Anerythristic Corns
    1.1 Het Albino Western Hognose
    0.1 Garter

Thanks

That ordinance seems completely ridiculous. If you need help flooding them with letters count me in.
    ~Nick
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Corn Snake
    1.2 Crested Geckos
    2.0 Chinchillas
    0.2 Degus

Thanks

That's rediculous, I'd write a letter for you.

Thanks

That ordinance contradicts itself.
    Here is the definition of a kennel from the ordinance.
    KENNEL shall mean any person engaged in the business of breeding, buying,
    selling or boarding dogs, cats and/or other domestic animals.
    Requirements for a kennel permit according to the ordinance.
    Any residence which shall keep over three (3) pets of the same species,
    over the age of three (3) months, shall be considered a kennel, and shall
    be subject to all ordinances covering kennels and all zoning ordinances in
    connection therewith.
    How can you be considered a kennel when the 3 animals are not what the city defines as ones that fall under the description of a kennel?
    There is also no mention in the ordinance about needing neighbors permission in order to apply for the permit.
    A kennel permit according to the ordinance only applies to dogs and you only need to submit an application.
    Kennel Permits may
    be issued by the Council upon written application, setting forth a description of the
    premises, and location of the same and such other information as the Council may
    require. Kennel Permits shall be required for any person or persons who keep more
    than three (3) dogs over the age of si x (6) months upon premises occupied by him or
    under his charge or control. No Kennel Permit shall be issued for any premises unless
    it complies with the City's Zoning Codes and until the Council, or their duly authorized
    personnel, shall first determine upon actual view and inspection that the operation of
    such kennel will not constitute a violation of the provisions of this Article. Kennel
    Permits issued under the provisions of this Article shall be effective from January first
    (1st) to December thirty-first (31st) of each year, and al l permits shall expire on
    December thirty-first (31st) of the year for whi ch issued. Provided, the City Clerk is
    hereby authorized to pro-rate Kennel Permits based upon the month in which they were
    applied for. The annual fee for Kennel Permits shall be thirty ($30.00) dollars. The
    Council shall have power and authority to revoke any Kennel Permit at any time in its
    sole discretion by refunding the Kennel Permit fee to the holder thereof; Provided,
    however, the provisions of this Section shall not apply to the Animal Shelter or to
    animal hospitals operated by veterinarians duly licensed under the laws of the State of
    Nebraska, keeping dogs for others for treatment or boarding.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Steve, this guy doesn't really want any help. He's going to believe what the man in uniform tells him. He's not going to do any research on his own that can't be done from his computer.

He's not going to insist that he see the ordinance in writing. He's not going to insist that he know just who is supposed to enforce animal related ordinances and/or laws. He's just not going to do what you would and find out exactly what the scoop is.

Well, it seems that way anyhow. I hope I'm wrong but I've seen this before, scenario wise, and it generally winds up with no one happy except the original complainant.

Eh, you tried, I tried, others tried.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks

Read the ordinance "Very carefully" I have scanned it and believe SPJ is correct. There is "NO" requirement for signing of any petition to aquire the permit. But, I say again read the ordinance very carefully and completely before you fire off. If this is correct then go apply for the permit without trying to get a petition signed. If the city asks for it show them a copy of the ordinance and ask them to show you where it says a petition is required. But above all be polite, and do not loose your cool. They have the key to your pet success. Good Luck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast