Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,247

1 members and 3,246 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

I Attended the HR2811 Hearing on July 29th

The gist of the results of the hearing were summed up nicely in another post:
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=98004

but I wanted to add a few more comments on what I observed today.

Lamar Smith (R, Texas) read the proposed bill and commented that 12 people have been killed by large constrictors since 1980. He DID NOT attribute all the deaths to Burmese pythons.
    Mr. Smith also brought up the death of the two-year old in Florida a few weeks ago.

Thomas Rooney (R, Florida) read the amendment that added Burmese pythons and African Rock pythons instead of the entire genus python.

Some things Mr. Rooney said in his statement:
    He discussed the Everglades restoration efforts. His language accused the Burmese python of being positioned to single-handedly undo their efforts (and the billion dollars already spent).
    He said the Burmese pythons has no natural predators in the Everglades and took time to mention the famous photo of a Burmese pythons split open after eating a large alligator.
    He said there are an estimated 100,000 Burmese in the Everglades and that they are thriving.
    He said that multiple thousands of Burmese pythons have been imported into the country over the past 3 years (he did not give a specific number).
    He said the two main concerns regarding Burmese pythons are 1) the Florida Everglades and 2) public safety. He also said that there is NO controversy about Burmese being a threat to public health and human safety.
    He said that after waiting for US Fish & Wildlife for 3 years to provide scientific results that Congress can no longer stand by without taking action.
    Said that banning the import of Burmese & African Rock pythons is "a piece of the solution".

At first there were not enough delegates present to take a vote on the proposed amendment but they scrambled to get enough in the room and took a simple Yay/Nay vote. I did not hear a "Nay". By my count there were 23 delegates in the room.

A few comments:
    1. After the hearing adjourned I overheard a staff member talking to Mr. Rooney. She said that many of the "snake people" who had been calling in were very rude. I heard Mr. Rooney to say, "I wish I had known that yesterday."
    Being rude when calling in and talking to staff members DOES make it back to the delegates. If you can't keep your cool and be professional it will serve the community better if you don't call at all.
    2. I overheard two staff members talking about all the snake people who were calling in opposition of the bill. She said (paraphrasing) "The must not have lives and are spending all their time sitting at their computers and calling." I had to smile at that.
    3. My delegate (Randy Forbes) is on the Judiciary Committee and during a break I went to his office to talk to him. He wasn't in but I was able to have a good talk with a staff member who was knowledgeable about HR2811. We discussed Mr. Forbes' position. He asked me mine. I do not support the bill in its original or amended form. I told him I wanted the bill to go before the committee with expert testimony. He responded that his office was open to it but didn't know what could be done since both sides were already in agreement on the amendment (HSUS and USARK).
    Colin Weaver
    East Coast Reptile Breeders
    http://www.ballpythonbreeder.com/
    Email: colin@ballpythonbreeder.com
    Phone: 757-572-1987 (Call or Text)

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ColinWeaver For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

bsd13 (07-30-2009),CoolioTiffany (07-30-2009),Denial (07-30-2009),Freddiesinmyseat (07-30-2009),juggalo_415 (07-31-2009),neilgolli (07-30-2009),nycsicktank (07-30-2009),Russ Lawson (07-29-2009),snakemastercanada (07-31-2009),spk329 (07-30-2009),strikerratt (07-30-2009),toddmbecker1234 (07-30-2009)

Thanks

Re: I Attended the HR2811 Hearing on July 29th

I think large constrictors should be banned in Florida and Georgia, at least.

Later, Matt
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DutchHerp View Post

Later, Matt
    Are you serious? They are already hard enough to keep in Florida with the ROC laws. If people weren't keeping them illegally there wouldn't be incidents like the one with that girl. There is no scientific evidence that suggests a ban would have any affect on anything to do with the burmese pythons in the Everglades, let alone there is no scientific evidence that proves their existence in the Everglades is even a problem.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

By the way Colin, thanks for going and thanks for letting us know how it went. The information you've provided has been a huge help to me personally over the last few days.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Lawson View Post
    Are you serious?
    You betcha.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

All I can say is this thing has to be worded to allow captive bred burms. Anything less will be a great loss and I dont have burms or probably ever will.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to West Coast Jungle For This Useful Post:

Muze (07-30-2009)

Thanks

Later, Matt
    that's just Ignorance at it's best to say that i for one am sick of people Bashing big snake owners and now some of the reptile community is turning it's back on us..... just remember this after the government bans our pets your pets will be next and not just reptiles but dog's cat's and small pets too
    A Time for Peace A Time for War

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by strikerratt View Post
    that's just Ignorance at it's best to say that i for one am sick of people Bashing big snake owners and now some of the reptile community is turning it's back on us..... just remember this after the government bans our pets your pets will be next and not just reptiles but dog's cat's and small pets too
    Oh, please, don't call me ignorant. Remember, the situation in the Everglades is due to IGNORANT snake owners.

Just because I care more about the ecosystems of southern Florida that your "pets" in cages.

No, it won't solve the problem in the Everglades, but at least it will prevent new populations in different areas.

I love seeing photos of DOR burmese pythons. I love snakes, I want to become a biologist and study these animals for the rest of my life - just in case you're thinking I'm a sadist. These animals are competing with NATIVE wildlife. Sweet.

Later, Matt
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DutchHerp For This Useful Post:

Oroborous (07-30-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Oh, please, don't call me ignorant. Remember, the situation in the Everglades is due to IGNORANT snake owners.

Just because I care more about the ecosystems of southern Florida that your "pets" in cages.

No, it won't solve the problem in the Everglades, but at least it will prevent new populations in different areas.

I love seeing photos of DOR burmese pythons. I love snakes, I want to become a biologist and study these animals for the rest of my life - just in case you're thinking I'm a sadist. These animals are competing with NATIVE wildlife. Sweet.

Later, Matt
    Do yourself a favor and read this before making accusations like that.
    http://vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/O...compressed.pdf

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Lawson View Post
    Do yourself a favor and read this before making accusations like that.
    http://vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/O...compressed.pdf
    What's your point? I think it's a good idea to ban these pythons in Florida.

If the Barkers are right, then imported hatchlings "escaped" into Florida... so stop the importation of hatchlings to Florida, and new populations can be prevented.
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast