Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,775

1 members and 2,774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

HR2811 Passes Full Committee

Just got this in my mailbox a little while ago, didn't see it posted yet so I
    thought I'd throw it out there.

----------------------------------------------------------
    HR2811 Passes Full Committee

This Just in from the House Judiciary Committee Regarding HR2811 Markup:

The full committee has just considered H.R. 2811.

Subcommittee Chairman Bobby Scott (D-VA) asked that his statement be placed into the record.

Full Committee Ranking Member Lamar Smith (R-TX) mentioned the recent python related death and stated the bill was needed to prevent any further accidents. He announced his support of the bill about to be amended.

Bill Co-Sponsor Rep. Tom Rooney (R-FL) offered his amendment to narrow the scope of the bill to 2 "real threats" to the restoration of the Everglades. He added the bill was needed because of the still pending petition to add pythons to the Lacey Act... 3 years after being submitted to USFWS by the South Florida Water Management District.

The Rooney Amendment to include only the Burmese and the African Rock Pythons was then passed by voice vote.

The amended bill HR2811 was then passed by voice vote.

As promised by Committee Staff, Rep. Rooney's Staff and Rep. Meek's Staff, HR2811 was amended to limit the scope of the bill to only two snakes. Staff renewed their commitment to work with USARK over the August recess to hammer out language for an amendment prior to a vote on the House Floor allowing the captive bred trade of the affected snakes to continue. USARK is dedicated to making sure all the Burm and Afrock breeders will be able to continue to operate their businesses. We will work hard to preserve your place as a legal business concern within the Reptile Nation Family.

HR2811 had bi-partisan support and flew through the Subcommittee and Full Committee even with hundreds of calls and faxes opposing it. Fortunately, USARK was able to convince Committee Staff and the Sponsors that this Bill would be incredibly damaging to an entire sector of the economy if not amended. To their credit they listened. They had not heard our side of this issue before. It seemed to them a very simple bill. We illustrated our concerns and they understood it was not necessary to destroy the Reptile Industry over this issue. They did not have to listen. The votes were overwhelmingly there to pass HR2811 intact.

USARK would like to thank Congressman Meek and his staff, majority and minority Judiciary Committee Staff, Congressman Rooney and his Staff, Congressman Gohmert and his Staff, and Congressman Scott and his staff for listening to the concerns of the Reptile Nation and for working with us in good faith. We look forward to continuing to work to fine tune this bill through the month of August.

This is a real Victory for the Reptile Nation! This whole situation could easily have led to the end of the Reptile Community. Thanks to the hard work of the Reptile Nation we have turned a bad situation good. Animal Rights organizations can no longer slander us at will. Washington now wants to know where we stand on these issues. We are working hard to make sure they understand the realities behind what we do, not the fairy tales being bandied about as if they are fact. We now have a voice... the voice of the Reptile Nation! You are now being heard loud and clear. Thank you for all the support!

WITHOUT YOU THIS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE!!!

Click here to donate $10 with dollar for dollar matching from Zoo Med

http://usark.org/donate.php

Click here to Join The Reptile Nation with dollar for dollar matching from Zoo Med

http://www.usark.org/join.php
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks

Re: HR2811 Passes Full Committee

Awesome! Glad you guys were able to do something.

Shawn

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

Great Job everyone!!!!
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    Great Job everyone!!!!
    You can say that again!
    Do not resuscitate

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have to admit, that as a burm owner myself I'm less then pleased that this bill wasn't just shot down completely. However, the realist in me understands that those who take an 'all or nothing' stance against such things had better be prepared to settle for 'nothing' And personally I'm not willing to settle for that.

I only hope that USARK can somehow help lawmakers work out a plan to allow interstate movement of captive bred individuals of these two species.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I have to admit, that as a burm owner myself I'm less then pleased that this bill wasn't just shot down completely. However, the realist in me understands that those who take an 'all or nothing' stance against such things had better be prepared to settle for 'nothing' And personally I'm not willing to settle for that.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=97926
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Good job everyone. I do however feel bad for those who own burms or root their businesses in burms. it is very unfortunate. But im pretty happy my balls can stay with me.
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python, 0.1.0 Albino Ball Python, 1.0.0 Spider Ball Python, 0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 1.0.0 Sorong Type Green Tree Python, 0.1.0 Green Iguana, 1.0.0 Whites Tree Frog,

Thanks

Im so glad!
    i have been planning to make a morph breeding buisiness this year and spent thousands on my collection
    AVV Exotics and Constrictors

Thanks

well im less then pleased I have spent thousands on my collection also and half of my collection consists of burmese pythons.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

There's a lot of folks that specialize in burms that are possibly up the creek, so to speak. I'm hoping they get this amended further to 'import' and leave the CB alone.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "