Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,936

0 members and 1,936 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1and1.com

Thanks

1and1.com

Just wondering if this web hosting have their on templetes to create a site. If so has anyone built their site using their templets?

Thanks

Re: 1and1.com

I would stay away from 1and1, I've ready way too many bad reviews about them. You could go with sharkspace or hostgator. Both good hosts but I would recommend sharkspace. If this is going to be a business site I'd stay away from a site builder. Depending on the site you can have one contracted for a couple hundred dollars, maybe slightly less.
    0.1 - Normal - 4 Months? Old
    0.1 - Mojave Hatchling

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

1 and 1 is complete crap in my experience. Bad customer service, bad response times, etc. Recommend Hostgator for 7.95 per month host unlimited sites. Can setup joomla and/or wordpress (among many other CMS systems) in 2 or 3 easy steps, etc.

Thanks

I have been with dreamhost for 5 years. LOVE them

And if oyu are doing a business. Find a local highschool kid and pay the 50-100 bucks for a dumby proof web design.

Templates never look professional

Shawn

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bsd13 View Post
    1 and 1 is complete crap in my experience. Bad customer service, bad response times, etc. Recommend Hostgator for 7.95 per month host unlimited sites. Can setup joomla and/or wordpress (among many other CMS systems) in 2 or 3 easy steps, etc.
    Really? I've been using them for 3 years, and 1 of my client uses them, we've had no mentionable issues, but to be honest I've never had to call their customer service before. As far as using their templates, I'm not much help there, I am a Web Designer .

Thanks

We've been using 1and1 for about a year now and haven't had any issues. I agree that if you are setting up a hardcore business, then maybe you should get someone to design you a site, but for our purposes (just a hobby/business) the template design seemed fine. The templates are easy to use and I think ours looks nice. You can judge for yourself.

www.better-balls.com

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Actually now that I think about it 3 of my clients use 1and1.com, again though no issues.

Thanks

My personal site has been hosted on 1and1 forrrr probably about 6 or so years now.

It's had it's share of issues...all of the sigs went down for a few hours one day - but NO server is perfect. Most hosting companies offer 99.9% uptime - because 100% is impossible.

I would say that I'm reasonably satisfied with them. Customer service is not spectacular, because "Tom" from India will be taking care of you.

I rarely need tech support - so I rarely use it...most of my questions have been answered in their FAQ.

I have been looking more closely into HostGator lately - because I like cPanel.

One other flaw with 1and1 is they have a 100mb MySQL limit. They will NOT increase that space for you....but even still, 100mb is a lot...until you start hosting sites like BP.net. Moving this database around is skeery.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    One other flaw with 1and1 is they have a 100mb MySQL limit. They will NOT increase that space for you....but even still, 100mb is a lot...until you start hosting sites like BP.net. Moving this database around is skeery.
    I have to agree with you there Nate, it's good for a small-smedium website (Most Breeder websites will never be larger than smedium) but not for LARGE websites like BP.net, or any community with some heft to it.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AaronP For This Useful Post:

Nate (07-29-2009)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Stay away from
    1and1.com - Over crowded servers
    hostgator - ^
    netwisp.com - very old and crappy servers and tech support staff are idiots
    innohosting.com - new servers with tons of issues, tech support is horrible

Most of your bigger companies like godaddy, bluehost and so on crowd servers and your website can be very sluggish at peak times. Your smaller companies might be a fly by night company and be out of business in 2 months. But most of the time the servers are not packed with customers.

I think all hosts that offer cpanel has a free site builder, if not you can always use wordpress and download templates for free, or pay someone to make them. Wordpress is one of the best and easiest content management systems you can use with many plugins!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast