Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

2 members and 3,420 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Need to know a few things on my new interest.

I was thinking of other snakes I could get into and like a little earlier today, and I thought of the Hognose. They really catch my attention, and they are so adorable. They are a pretty good sized snake too, not too long and not too small. I've thought about purchasing one a while ago, but I just said to stick with the BPs. Now, I may just buy both a Pastel and a Hognose snake at the reptile expo in November.. if I get enough money on my birthday for yet another snake to add to my collection. Here are some questions I would like to know before I get this snake, and if I do decide I want this snake I'll make sure I do as much research as I can. It's a promise :]

1- how are their temperaments?
    2- easy to care for?
    3- if I do get a Hognose, which Hognose morph would cost me less but still looks pretty cool?
    4- how big of an enclosure would an adult need?
    5- do they need UTHs, or would a lamp do just fine?
    6- are they finicky eaters?
    7- would you recommend this snake to someone who is looking for a good beginner snake?
    Any other information I would need to know on this snake will be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    -Tiffany
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Need to know a few things on my new interest.

1.) Western hognose have really good temperments as far as the ones i've seen, they are reluctant to bite, and will usually play dead, or they will strike with their mouth closed and just tap you with their nose, and if they do that it chills out with age. Out of 20 or so, only one of the one's I seen did that, the one I owned was really chilled.

2.) The care is relatively easy, They don't require a huge setup, aspen bedding, 2 hides(though they wont use it a lot) and an UTH on a rheostat.

3.) I find the regular Hognose is pretty, but i'm not sure about the other morphs they have.

4.) An adult depending on the size would do fine in a 20-30 gal. Unless it's a pretty large adult over 3ft then I would say a 40 gal.

5.) UTH as they spend a lot of time at the bottom of the tank, they are dinural and active during the day, so if you want to give it some lighting you can, but UTH is what I would recommend. If you just give it light, get a very low wattage bulb on a controller from Lowe's and turn it down so it has barley any heat emitting.

6.) Some can be problem eaters, then some eat fine. They love frogs. However the one I had ate pinkies just fine. What I would do is put him in a seperate enclosure with the pinky and he would eat it alive. Just make sure the one you get is already on pinkies.

7.) I would recommend as long as the person knows that this species is considered venomous, not that you have to have a venomous license permit or anything, but check your local laws as far as owning a rear fanged venomous.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

They are rear fanged venomous, but it's their saliva that is toxic. I read it only causes a reaction such as swelling in the area, depending how allergic you are to the saliva. I'm not really allergic to anything. But ya never know
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yes I know, but i'm just saying as a rule of thumb, they are considered rear fanged venomous, which any person owning them should be aware, as well as the parents if they are under 18. Anybody could have a bad reaction to the bite, even though it wouldn't be common.
    -Venomous-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Yea I know they can do damage if you have a allergic reaction, that's why I stated for people to know what they own, and for parents also. Incase of an emergency situation.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    would you say that is the most extreme scenario of a hoggie bite? i am just getting into my research of hognose's.
    2.0 corns Scrappy(butter) and Wrigley(opal) 0.1 ball python Keeva 1.0 Black Milk Snake Shades 1.0 crested gecko Costello

Thanks

That's basically as bad as it should get. You don't need to go to a hospital or anything.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lpnaz480 View Post
    would you say that is the most extreme scenario of a hoggie bite? i am just getting into my research of hognose's.
    Unless you are allergic, yes. This was from FIVE minutes of letting the hoggie chew on him.

If you are allergic, it can be really bad the same way people allergic to ants or bees can have life-threatening reactions. THAT is the most extreme worst case scenario, but has nothing to do with the potency of hoggies, but how your own body overreacts to it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
    That's basically as bad as it should get. You don't need to go to a hospital or anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Unless you are allergic, yes. This was from FIVE minutes of letting the hoggie chew on him.

If you are allergic, it can be really bad the same way people allergic to ants or bees can have life-threatening reactions. THAT is the most extreme worst case scenario, but has nothing to do with the potency of hoggies, but how your own body overreacts to it.
    thank you. i saw those pics and was wonderig if just a quick bite and release would cause that reaction. only one way to find out if you're allergic huh?
    2.0 corns Scrappy(butter) and Wrigley(opal) 0.1 ball python Keeva 1.0 Black Milk Snake Shades 1.0 crested gecko Costello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast