Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,027

2 members and 3,025 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks
    to fix the *depth* issue u could use the eucoboard on top and bottom upping the price slightly but u could essentially make the shelfs deeper

Thanks
    Ok I need a price check...

Is $49.97 sound about right for a 5 shelf 36"Wx24"Dx72"H?
    I also found one that was $34.97 and it was 5 shelf 36"Wx18"D.

Do they both sound reasonable? I thought the first one sounds a little high. But that's why I'm asking

Thanks,
    SC

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: The Frugal Herper's Snake Rack

I'm thinking about building my rack this way. I like the idea of flipping the shelves upside down and glue the boards on the bottom of each shelf. My current rack use heat cable and each shelf is routed for the cable to flush evenly. My question is this, should I flush the heat tape on each boards or can I just tape it onto the board? I've never used a heat tape and I'm concerned that the bottom of each tubs could damage the heat tape?

Thanks

Thank you for this idea!

Just finished building my first rack, a modified version of these plans (I found some 36"x18" shelves on sale quite cheap, along with some perfect hatchling/juvenile tubs from the dollar store). I've at least glanced at all of the entries on here & haven't seen this idea mentioned: if you don't have an electrical saw, or you DO have one but don't trust it to get the leg pieces even/uniform (this was the case with me), the tool for the job is an old-fashioned mitre box! As the author of this post mentioned, a hack saw will wear you out, but with a mitre box, it's nearly effortless cutting through a plastic leg, and the result is pretty well perfect every time.

Thanks again!

JR
    Last edited by jhremo3; 10-10-2012 at 12:48 AM. Reason: grammar/usage error

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by digizure View Post
    I'm thinking about building my rack this way. I like the idea of flipping the shelves upside down and glue the boards on the bottom of each shelf. My current rack use heat cable and each shelf is routed for the cable to flush evenly. My question is this, should I flush the heat tape on each boards or can I just tape it onto the board? I've never used a heat tape and I'm concerned that the bottom of each tubs could damage the heat tape?
    I've used the same Flexwatt heat tape on the bottoms of each shelf for over 3 years without problems, for both adult and baby tubs. Just make sure that your tubs don't rub the wire connections and you'll be fine!

Thanks

Cool I just built these! Make these changes!

I just built these and have the following recommendations. First the originals shelves mentioned in this post from Lowes are long gone. Buy the HDX brand 5 shelves unit from Home Depot instead!
    I got some different ones from Lowes and while they are fine shelves for general storage, for our purposes, the one's from HD are much better suited, because when you go to glue the bottoms on the shelves, there's nothing to glue to but 2 tiny ribs on the Lowes units, while the HD's have nice flat faces to glue to.
    It has taken me several times of gluing to make the Lowes work, and it's still shaky at best. If they come loose I will probably can the whole deal and switch to the HDX brand. An fairly expensive mistake.
    This is something you can't know until you build them, so take my advice.
    The other thing is don't use the" pegboard material" , use the white sided laminated stuff, as it will be waterproof/resistant, and it's the same price.
    You will have to modify your measurements from the plans for the cuts slightly. Just measure the racks distance between the posts and then front to back and you will be golden.
    I will note that Lowes did cut my laminate board for free, and according to the post, HD charges for that?
    Hope this helps...
    Also buy your tubs after measuring whatever racks you get, don't assume you will find the perfect size to make the width fit.
    I ended up going a bit bigger on the tubs with only 2 side by side. Of course you could put one big tub in per shelf, sideways, which will probably be my next rack...
    Last edited by dr del; 02-04-2013 at 06:20 PM. Reason: removing censor trip

Thanks

A follow up. I COULD NOT get the glue to stick sufficiently to the Lowes racks, so I am off to Home Depot now to buy more racks. :-(
    Getting a glue to stick seems to be the hardest part!!! I have tried 3 different kinds now...

Thanks

OK ! I have basically built these 3 times now!!! The glue is definitely an issue to get to stick to the plastic.
    I will say this up front. I have bought some pre-built racks from various makers and I say IF YOU CAN AFFORD IT, go that route! They are nicer, more compact, look better, enclosed, better heat retention, etc.
    But I got too far into this gig to turn back....
    What I ended up using was contact cement. Lather it on, wait 15 minutes to tack up, and then you are done! No waiting overnight, only to find that the glue did not work!
    I did not use GOOP, which may have been a mistake, but it seemed I would need several tubes and I didn't want to drop $20 just on glue.

Thanks
    Has anyone expanded these after the initial build? I'm going to be doing a 24" deep four shelf for 28qt Sterilite tubs right now, but was wondering if I should just go ahead and double up on it (which would be stretching the budget) or if I could just take off the top shelf and add another on top fairly easily in the future.

Thanks

Used the 24" deep shelving unit from Home Depot. Everything else is pretty much the same except for the ecuboard, which I painted with a couple of coats of weatherproof paint to seal it from moisture. I was going to use the markerboard that was suggested, but Home Depot only had the 2x4 sheets for $11 a piece instead of the $24 for 4 deal that was posted on their web site. Oddly, it fits two 32qt Sterilite tubs per shelf with no modification to the legs even though, based on the measurements, it shouldn't. I guess it's because the tub measurements are including the tops which are not being used.

Still waiting on heat tape to show up, then I'll level all the shelves, set the clearance, add the heat tape, screw them together, and start filling it up.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast