Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,867

2 members and 2,865 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: The Frugal Herper's Snake Rack

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSM View Post
    For those asking, what shelves can they use instead or where I can buy these tubs.

You forget this is a do it yourself project, you can adapt it it fit any shelf or tub you want, just change the measurements.
    Very true!
    If you look at my rack you'll see those shelves with the 3 sub-adult tubs...well I got those at a local Deals dollar-type store. Although they're 6 qt. tubs, they are lower in height (4") than shoebox tubs and have a wider surface (ground) area of 10" x 13.5". Finding a size tub like that was difficult, but when I did find them I bought all they had.

Overall this rack idea was the best inexpensive option out there. I only hope that Lowes continues to sell these shelving units and not decide to change styles unexpectedly. I had found a shelf unit that was almost identical made by Plano which was sold here in the midwest by Menards. They're sturdier and cheaper ($18.95 on sale) units, but the undersides of the shelves, the side that you glue the Eucaboard to each had 3 'ribs' that protruded about 3/4" beyond the lip that you glue to. Sure, you could probably trim it with a saw or tin snips, but that would have been 33 cuts for the tall rack I made, and I was running out of time with babies due to hatch!

If anyone has questions about building this DIY rack, post them here and I'll do my best to help!

Thanks
    I built one of these shelves to the exact specifications that were originally posted, and then for just a little bit more money got thompsons waterseal to go on the board. This seems to have cured the humidity problem. for the sagging I added small 1x1's to stand up in between the tubs this has seemed to cure the sagging, you can always go with smaller if you want i just made the extra room for them

Thanks
    Thanked 1,370 Times in 943 Posts

What I use for glue on panels is white dry erasure board also sold at Lowes. Never any problems with moisture.

Thanks
    Update on pricing, at least here in the Plano/Frisco, Texas area. The shelving units at Lowe's are now $24.95. Not a big jump at all, but if you were building multiples or putting them back to back it would up the price a little.

Thanks
    Gotta check my lowes to see if i find any of these shelves soon ,great idea.

Thanks

Has anyone made one of these recently? The reason I'm asking is because I have this exact shelf for a couple 20g tanks for my corn snakes and decided I would start stacking up on Sterilite 6qt tubs for my hatchling rack I planned on building. Only 3 tubs fit on the shelves! I'm wondering if Sterilite recently changed the dimensions of tubs from the original design.

Babineaux Reptiles
    0.5 Normal Ball Python
    1.1 Lemon Pastel Ball Python
    1.1 Het Albino Ball Python
    1.0 Double Het Clown/Lav Albino
    1.0 Double Het Pied/Lav Albino
    1.0 Snow Corn Snake
    0.1 Butter Corn Snake

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mikebab View Post
    Has anyone made one of these recently? The reason I'm asking is because I have this exact shelf for a couple 20g tanks for my corn snakes and decided I would start stacking up on Sterilite 6qt tubs for my hatchling rack I planned on building. Only 3 tubs fit on the shelves! I'm wondering if Sterilite recently changed the dimensions of tubs from the original design.
    The cheaper Sterilite 6qt shoebox tubs have changed both size and shape over the years. I had to use the slightly more expensive Sterilite #1751 clip-top shoebox tub to get 4 across (see my photo a few posts back). They work just as well and accommodate 4 across with a bit of space to spare. They're still 6qt but don't have the taper that the standard shoeboxes have, which makes them ever-so-slightly too wide by an inch of so when placed 4 across.

I bought my #1751 tubs at Target. I believe that the tubs that Justin Kobylka used in his original design were Iris tubs that I think can be bought at the Container Store, but I don't see them on their website. You may want to drop Justin and email and ask him yourself, but chances are Iris tubs will cost more than the Sterilite #1751 tubs that I used. I think I paid $2 each when they were on sale.

I hope this helps and doesn't discourage you from using this rack design. I've been using mine for almost a year now and I love it! I almost wish I had a reason to build another now, just in case Lowes changes the design of the shelving units, if they haven't done so already. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kerig3 For This Useful Post:

mikebab (03-25-2011)

Thanks
    How well does this tolerate heat?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gold217 View Post
    How well does this tolerate heat?
    How well does the "rack" tolerate heat???
    I'm using flexwatt for belly heat which never gets above 92 degrees with a proper thermostat. Plus the shelf it's attached to isn't plastic, it's the pressboard in the instructions (remember this is a shelving unit turned upside-down). Overheating is not an issue and the rack I made has been serving my needs perfectly!

What is a problem though is that I was in Lowes last week and they changed the design of this $23 price-level shelving unit. It no longer has the lip at the back (the stop-edge for the tubs) and now has an uneven underside of the shelves without any edge to glue the pressboard shelves to. I was not able to measure to see if its dimensions changed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's now smaller than the unit in this thread.

Looks like we'll all have to find another shelving unit to make this design work. What a pain!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Walmart

Just wanted to let everyone know. Walmart has a Plano rack that is 18" wide and fits rubbermaid 41qt. We picked up two this weekend and are halfway done with our rack system that we are, so far, very happy with.

Each rack was about $35, had a level bottom to glue the board to with no protruding plastic, but did not have a lip for the backing. We plan on screwing the extra board to the back to solve that problem.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast