Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,344

2 members and 3,342 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

feeding two mice

Hello, I have 4 BP's, all except my 1100 gram female pastel will eat frozen thawed small rats. I bought the female knowing she ate small live rats and i got her to eat a small rat a week after I got her but since then the only rats I have been able to get seem too big for her and she seems scared of them. So i bought 2 large mice about an hour ago. After a minute with it in her tub she ate the mouse. My question is when should I feed her the second one? I fed the first at 3:30pm, can I try and give her the other one later tonight?

Thanks

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: feeding two mice

You can feed them right after another. I used to feed two and I just waited until she finished shallowing and looked around with tongue flicking.

Thanks

ok thanks. Since it is still daylight I think im gonna wait till later on tonight when she is out and about.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

You can also try prescenting to get her in the mood for food.
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/...warticle&id=60

Thanks

How old is your 1100 gram female? Why do I ask, we have a female at that weight, and do NOT know her age. I know, this is not accurate, but a close guess maybe.

Thanks

My juvie Delilah HATES rats, so we also have to stick with mice... she gets 2 weekly since she weighs ~350g, so you could probably offer 3-4 per feeding for your snake. As mrshawt said, you can feed them one after another - I just wait a few minutes until her jaw is back in place, and then throw in #2. Sometimes she only takes one, so if you feed live make sure to have a critter keeper (or similar) in case she rejects the second/third... then you can just hang on to it until the following week. Good luck!

P.S. If you really want to get her on rats instead, try scenting the rat with a dead mouse. I haven't tried that with Delilah yet, but supposedly it can be effective.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

I have mousers around that size and they get 3-4 medium adult mice per feeding. I make feeding rounds every 15-20 minutes until all the mice are gone. You can also try to skip a week with her, then the day before feeding day on the second week, bump the heat up to 94. She will likely be so eager for a meal that she will take a medium rat. Try offering it on tongs about a foot above her tub so she isn't intimidated, and I bet she'll grab it, no problem.
    What are these mojavas I keep hearing so much about?

J. W. Exotics

Reptile Incubators

Thanks

thanks a lot everyone. Well she ate the second mouse at like 8pm last night. Its good to know that if I cant get her into eating rats that she will be able to eat a few mice instead.

Sammy..She was born in late 07.