Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,818

0 members and 2,818 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Reptile/Exotics Law in your area?

I was curious how to find if there are any laws or restrictions for owning reptiles or exotic animals. My collection is growing and several people have asked me if I need a permit to keep a large amount of snakes and I didn't really have any idea. How do I go about finding this? I am in Seward, Nebraska which is a town of about 7000.
    1.0 Pastel poss het ghost ball 0.1 B&W Cal King
    0.1 poss het ghost 1.0 Blotched Cal King
    1.3 Normal balls 1.0 Striped Alb. King
    1.2 Redtail BCI 0.1 Albino Cal King
    1.1 Pastel Redtail BCI 0.1 Aberrant Cal King
    0.2 Anery Corns 0.1 Normal Corn
    2.0 Albino Corns 0.1 Red Corn
    1.0 B&W Col. Tegu
    1.2 OrangexCitrus Beardies 1.1 Sandfire Beardies

Thanks

Re: Reptile/Exotics Law in your area?

I too have tried to find the Laws for my state (Pennsylvania) and haven't managed to find a single thing.....

Thanks

Keep in mind state regulations and city regulations may be different. The best thing to do would be to go to your city office and ask them for a copy of their local pet laws. I would not, however, go into to much detail as to why you want them.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks

The only law I'm really aware of for oklahoma is that you need a permit to sell native species. Plus you need a license to harvest rattlesnakes. Otherwise, there aren't any.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Where I am in Canada, our city has banned all boas and pythons that reach an adult length of 6 feet or more, and all lizards that grow to 3 feet or more.

Good thing I am exempt!!!

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Vampire Osiris View Post
    I too have tried to find the Laws for my state (Pennsylvania) and haven't managed to find a single thing.....
    Heh.. I live in Mechanicsburg PA also... Small world huh? I don't think there are any laws about owning reptiles here. But just to be sure I'll head down to the courthouse and get a copy of the ordinence and find out. I'll PM you with my findings.

Thanks

Here is some info that may help in your search.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/legal...egalstatus.htm

1. Call the appropriate government agencies in person. Using the internet for research is a good place to start, but for current and complete information on the status of your chosen species, check with the proper agencies.
    2. Start with your local government - call city hall or your town or county office, and ask if there are any relevant laws against your pet.
    3. Your local officials may be able to tell you the status of your pet locally as well as state, province, or country wide status.
    4. If there are no local laws, and local officials are not sure about the status on a wider scale, they may be able to direct you to the appropriate agency to check with.
    5. Before going to the state/province/country, check with your local health department, as sometimes regulations fall under their jurisdiction.
    6. Check with state/provincial agencies. Hopefully the local officials could tell you which agency has jurisdiction, but it may fall under agriculture, fish and game, natural resources, wildlife, health, etc.
    7. If you are in the US, check with the US Department of Agriculture, as many exotic species require USDA permits for possession and/or breeding.
    8. Keep calling until you find the right agency/person who can give you a difinitive answer. Sometimes permits are required for legal species, so make sure you find out if there are any special permits or licenses required.

Tips:

1. Exactly who to call varies from area to area, so you'll need to break out the phone book and start calling. By starting locally, you can often find out who you need to call from higher levels of government.
    2. Your local humane society or other pet related organization, or a veterianarians office, may be able to help you find out about current laws.
    3. Don't assume that if you see a pet locally, it is legal (even if they are being sold in pet stores).
    4. Ignorance of the law is not a good defense, and if you acquire an illegal pet you may face confiscation of your pet down the road, and possibly even euthanasia of your pet.

Thanks

My guess in my case that no one would know anything about a law for snakes considering it is such a small town and if I would have to go through all of that trouble of calling tons of people in the state to find laws wouldn't that be pointless considering the locals don't know anything about it? I don't have any species that get over ten feet and I am pretty sure that there are no laws for anything under ten feet, or it is allowed in Omaha, Nebraska. Once the snake gets over ten feet then it becomes a problem in omaha. So going by that, I think the number of snakes doesn't make a difference. Another thing that I am curious about is the selling of the snakes. Does anyone know if you have a license to sell captive bred snakes? I haven't heard anything about it. I know you have to have a license to sell caught snakes or snakes native to your area, but nothing for exotic or captive bred.
    1.0 Pastel poss het ghost ball 0.1 B&W Cal King
    0.1 poss het ghost 1.0 Blotched Cal King
    1.3 Normal balls 1.0 Striped Alb. King
    1.2 Redtail BCI 0.1 Albino Cal King
    1.1 Pastel Redtail BCI 0.1 Aberrant Cal King
    0.2 Anery Corns 0.1 Normal Corn
    2.0 Albino Corns 0.1 Red Corn
    1.0 B&W Col. Tegu
    1.2 OrangexCitrus Beardies 1.1 Sandfire Beardies

Thanks

I would love to get something going in Georgia. I know their are other Ga. people here and I would love to see us get together and see what we can do to get something started in Ga. like our side states are doing. I'm a USARK member and I have read about other states getting something started for thier state. So how about us ?? Do you know of any people in Senate our Legislature that I can or we can put a bug in their ears ?? Because I for one do not want anything to happen that we do not want. You can pm me or email me at ronnie@dadspetsandmore.com. I have worked with ABATE ( American Bikers Active Towards Education ) in the past so I am familuar with letters, getting in touch, etc with in the legislation. Basically I'm looking for some help........
    Education is Everything.......

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

All you have to do is call wildlife & fisheries and they will tell you of any reptile laws, or snake specific laws. They are the best people to call to get information.

Some of the laws in the part of LA where I live are:
    1.) You have to have a permit one your snake exceeds 12+ feet.
    2.) You have to have a permit to own venomous species.

They're may be some additional ones, but as far as i'm concerned the 1st one is the only one that applies to me as my Yellow may see 12+ feet in a few years. Other then that the only venomous snake I have is rear fanged so I don't have to have a permit to keep him. The requirements are that the snake has to be in a cage thats under lock & key, and it has to be in an escape proof room.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)