Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,775

1 members and 1,774 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: PAYPAL fees...

Thanks

Angry PAYPAL fees...

So Im in the process of completing a purchase of a couple snakes off this one guy. I pay him this morning when I said will as I do with all people I deal with. Everything is good, blah blah, and this afternoon he texts me and says that I havent covered the Paypal fees. I say WHAT? I cover YOUR paypal fees? So you want me to send you 680 instead of 660 and you incur MORE fees? Or what? Anyway long story short my wife wasnt having it so I asked for a refund and in turn am getting the snakes for the original price of 660. My question is this:

How many of you have your buyer pay your paypal fees that you incur for credit card transactions? Is it an accepted and known practice to chrage your buyer for your paypal fees?

Out of 4 snakes that I have purchased online so far, I havent had to add additional money for paypal fees. From everything Ive ever sold on eBay, Ive incurred the expense of paypal transaction. So what gives?
    ]

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: PAYPAL fees...

I usually absorb the fees in the cost of the animals but I have added fees onto payment plans cause hell 4 payments of 500 bucks each can hit hard so I throw it in but I've never been asked to pay fees it's actually against the TOS of Paypal
    Tim Johnson

Thanks

They paypal fees are a cost of doing business, in my opinion. It sucks, yes, but think of how many more sales the added convenience offers. If you do more sales, then the 3% fees work out in the end. Not to mention, Paypal offers some measure of security for both buyer and seller.

JonV

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Morphz View Post
    I usually absorb the fees in the cost of the animals but I have added fees onto payment plans cause hell 4 payments of 500 bucks each can hit hard so I throw it in but I've never been asked to pay fees it's actually against the TOS of Paypal
    I'm confused at what your saying. So it's against the TOS for them to ask you to pay the fees?

I never even realized there was fees. I suppose they were just absorbed by my sellers through the prices though.

Thanks

From a purely marketing/customer satisfaction point of view, sellers should build the fees into their prices so that they end up with the price they want.

There are so many breeders to purchase from that buyers don't want to be hassled, or feel that they are not getting a good deal or a fair shake. In short, buyers always want to feel they got the best deal they could.

If I were an active seller I would be ultra competitive with prices and build the cost of shipping and fees into the price so that they buyer has a good experience and does not feel like they are getting nickeled and dime'd to death.

BrandonsBalls.
    bpherp.com - Breeder of ball python morphs & genetic mutations

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BPHERP For This Useful Post:

Alice (07-22-2009),littleindiangirl (07-23-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Morphz View Post
    1 payment of 2000 or 4 payments of 500 bucks each at Paypals 3% fee means you lose 60 bucks...I dont understand. You pay the same in fees either way...why would you charge extra on a payment plan? Thats kind of jacked up dude.

Quote Originally Posted by nevohraalnavnoj View Post
    They paypal fees are a cost of doing business, in my opinion. It sucks, yes, but think of how many more sales the added convenience offers. If you do more sales, then the 3% fees work out in the end. Not to mention, Paypal offers some measure of security for both buyer and seller.

JonV
    I agree...if you accept PayPal you accept the cost, right?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonsBalls View Post
    From a purely marketing/customer satisfaction point of view, sellers should build the fees into their prices so that they end up with the price they want.

There are so many breeders to purchase from that buyers don't want to be hassled, or feel that they are not getting a good deal or a fair shake. In short, buyers always want to feel they got the best deal they could.

If I were an active seller I would be ultra competitive with prices and build the cost of shipping and fees into the price so that they buyer has a good experience and does not feel like they are getting nickeled and dime'd to death.

BrandonsBalls.
    I am getting an amazing deal. I just dont think that I should be contacted after I already PAID the asking price to cover fees. No? AM I CRAZY?!
    ]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    1 payment of 2000 or 4 payments of 500 bucks each at Paypals 3% fee means you lose 60 bucks...I dont understand. You pay the same in fees either way...why would you charge extra on a payment plan? Thats kind of jacked up dude.

I agree...if you accept PayPal you accept the cost, right?

I am getting an amazing deal. I just dont think that I should be contacted after I already PAID the asking price to cover fees. No? AM I CRAZY?!
    Agreed, before the fact, all things should be disclosed, after the fact, thats just bad business on the part of the seller.
    bpherp.com - Breeder of ball python morphs & genetic mutations

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonsBalls View Post
    Agreed, before the fact, all things should be disclosed, after the fact, thats just bad business on the part of the seller.
    Thats what I thought. I told him we should split the fee if hes so worried about it and Id pay 10 but my wife said HELL NO, mainly cause the Albino was for her, so I asked for a refund and he asked me if 10 bucks were worth waiting a couple days for his bank to transfer the funds back, and I asked him if 20 bucks were worth a sale. Snakes should be here Friday...if theyre not its a dispute and a refund.

I do get why he wants me to cover them, hes selling me two awesome snakes for the price of what one costs...but he shoudlve thought about it before he dropped his price to what it ended up at.
    ]

Thanks

Paypal terms of service:

4.5 No Surcharges. You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services, as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions. Nothing in this Agreement is intended to affect the legal right of a merchant in the UK to impose a surcharge for a debit or credit card transaction under the Credit Cards (Price Discrimination) Order 1990.

In my opinion, any seller who doesn't consider the fees beforehand and doesn't price their animals accordingly and then asks me to cover the fees is someone I would never do business with. It's an amateur move. There are enough professional breeders in this hobby to buy from that don't pull crap like that.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jglass38 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Alice (07-22-2009),Argentra (07-22-2009),blackcrystal22 (07-22-2009),BPHERP (07-22-2009),catawhat75 (07-22-2009),Inca (08-11-2009),Jyson (07-22-2009),littleindiangirl (07-23-2009),Nate (07-22-2009),Royal Morphz (07-22-2009),Seneschal (07-24-2009),SGExotics (08-14-2009)

Thanks

I do pay the fees sometimes. On occasion, I have some extra $$ in my account as opposed to in my wallet, so I will offer to pay the fees if they take the paypal cash instead. It saves me a few days wait, no trips to the post office etc. but if someone told me I had to pay them after we agreed on a price and established paypal would be the preferred method of payment, then no way. If you take paypal, you know that fees are incurred, so as a seller you should already have that in mind when you sell the snake, car, comic book, fishing rod or whatever.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast