Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,228

4 members and 1,224 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

2 month update on daughter's horse (DUW)

It's been about 2 months since my daughter had a horse gave to her that needed ALOT of TLC. He also got a pasture mate too.

Here is Ceasar when he first came to us.(about the last week of May)

2 weeks later

And here he is now, after about 2 months of care. He was finally ready for a short ride in the pasture with my daughter, after a friend of ours rode him first to check him out. (gotta watch out for my youngest )

We also caught the first ride on video. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll do a little editing and then post it.

Oh yeah...here is his pasture mate. He's a 18 to 20 month old stud. (for right now.)

Introducing Blue Bell, my wife named the horse...not me.

He does have blue eyes. I'm not sure if you can see it in the pics.
    A few dogs, a bunch of chickens, 3 ducks, and 2 Pygmy goats

Thanks

Re: 2 month update on daughter's horse (DUW)

what is up w/ bell's pattern/coloration? what type of horse?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the breeding of Blue. I was told that he has some Arabian in him but I'm not sure what else. I guess he's a mutt.

Thanks

He is a maximum sabino pinto/paint
    Sabino is a generic description for a group of similar white spotting patterns. The sabino pattern is described as irregular spotting usually on the legs, belly and face, often with extensive roaning. A mutation has recently been discovered that produces one type of sabino pattern. It has been named Sabino1 as it is not present in all sabino-patterned horses. More mutations will probably be identified that account for other sabino patterns.

Sabino1 is inherited as an autosomal dominant mutation. One copy of the Sabino1 gene is expected to produce horses with two or more white legs or feet -- often with white running up the anterior part of the leg, an extensive blaze, spotting on the midsection, with jagged or roaned margins to the pattern. Horses with 2 copies of the Sabino1 gene, are at least 90% white and are referred to as Sabino-white.

Sabino1 is most commonly found in Tennessee Walking Horses. Other breeds in which this mutation has been found include: American Miniature Horses, American Paint Horses, Aztecas, Missouri Foxtrotters, Shetland Ponies, Spanish Mustangs and Pony of the Americas. Other breeds of horses that are known to have sabino patterns, such as Clydesdales and Arabians, have so far tested negative for the Sabino1 mutation, although the number of animals tested is low.
    I would have to see Blue walk but I would assume he is a paint or a paint/TWH type cross.
    You can google maximum sabino and you will see horse just like him.
    Hope this helps
    The rescue horse LOOKS great.. BUT I would not ride him till the ribs are nearly gone, and he has more weight on his back and has his muscles built up, you can cause bone damage unless he has the muscle to help distribute the weight.
    Carol

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Montessa Python For This Useful Post:

jsmorphs2 (08-10-2009),KeithTN (07-31-2009)

Thanks

Ceasar is looking great! Both horses are looking fantastic!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jyson For This Useful Post:

KeithTN (07-31-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Montessa Python View Post
    He is a maximum sabino pinto/paint

I would have to see Blue walk but I would assume he is a paint or a paint/TWH type cross.
    You can google maximum sabino and you will see horse just like him.
    Hope this helps
    The rescue horse LOOKS great.. BUT I would not ride him till the ribs are nearly gone, and he has more weight on his back and has his muscles built up, you can cause bone damage unless he has the muscle to help distribute the weight.
    Carol

I think you are right about Blue being a Sabino. The ride with Ceasar was extremely short. We didn't want to push him or anything. My daughter just rode him in left circle then a right circle and back to the barn. then whole ride might have been 5 to 10 minutes and never got really any faster than a slow trot.