Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

1 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Aperture and iso question?

What do you set your aperture and iso to when you are photographing your animals and why? Thanks
    Jeff Bernard

Old enough to remember. Freakie_frog's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 2,148 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Aperture and iso question?

Quote Originally Posted by Boanerges View Post
    What do you set your aperture and iso to when you are photographing your animals and why? Thanks
    If I am manually setting aperture I let the camera figure the shutter speed and ISO. What I set my aperture size at depends on the effect I want. If I want the focal point to be in focus and everything past or before that to blur I use a larger aperture (smaller f#) like this. The depth of field can be adjusted by slowly choosing a smaller aperture.

If I want the whole snake in focus then I use a smaller aperture (larger f#) like this. It will have both the foreground and background in sharp focus.

When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001? ~ Mark Cuban
    "for the discerning collector"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Freakie_frog For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (07-20-2009)

Thanks

I keep my ISO on 100 unless I need to hand hold the camera or stop motion. ISO is film speed basically. Generally speaking the higher the ISO the more noise you will notice in your pictures.

If you don't have a tripod you'll want to try and keep your shutter speed higher than your lens' focal length. Any less and you'll start to see blurry pictures from your hand shaking.

Aperture serves two major purposes when composing a shot. Depth of field as described by the above poster is one. The other is how much light you are letting into the camera. The smaller the number (1.4 for example) the wider the lens is opened and the more light you let in. The larger the number (f22 for example) the less light.

More light = faster shutter speeds
    Less light = slower shutter speeds

Shutter speed = how fast the camera takes the picture.

So to answer your questions directly...

I change my ISO and AV constantly depending on what type of picture I want and what the situation is. I don't have a set rule.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Solinger For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (07-20-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solinger View Post
    I keep my ISO on 100 unless I need to hand hold the camera or stop motion. ISO is film speed basically. Generally speaking the higher the ISO the more noise you will notice in your pictures.

If you don't have a tripod you'll want to try and keep your shutter speed higher than your lens' focal length. Any less and you'll start to see blurry pictures from your hand shaking.

Aperture serves two major purposes when composing a shot. Depth of field as described by the above poster is one. The other is how much light you are letting into the camera. The smaller the number (1.4 for example) the wider the lens is opened and the more light you let in. The larger the number (f22 for example) the less light.

More light = faster shutter speeds
    Less light = slower shutter speeds

Shutter speed = how fast the camera takes the picture.

So to answer your questions directly...

I change my ISO and AV constantly depending on what type of picture I want and what the situation is. I don't have a set rule.
    Excellent post!!!

I will also say that your Aperture VERY VERY much depends on the lighting conditions, which can very from angle to angle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Patrick Long For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (07-20-2009)