Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,996

3 members and 2,993 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tub setup?

Thanks

Tub setup?

I've been looking around the forum and I couldn't find any tutorials for a tub setup. I was wondering if anyone give me a link or post here? I appologize if I missed it. I'm thinking about a using a tub but I'm not exactly sure how the heating would be set up, and what kind would be best?

Thanks!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Tub setup?

Here.
    All credit goes to Kaorte who showed this to me today. I just set mine up tonight, it's warming up for a day or two. I am using a 41qt tub with a 30-40g UTH on one side so far. I have one row of holes every three inches, and are using 8 binder clips to hold the lid on. Accurite, two plastic container hides, water bowl, paper towel substrate so far. Add some plants and you have a great bp setup. Remember to put something under the corners of the tub to allow for air flow around your heating device.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrshawt For This Useful Post:

Kaorte (07-17-2009),TheBallPython (07-17-2009)

Thanks

Thanks so much for that link! I know I've asked this question before, but that was for an aquarium... would one heating pad (just on the warm side) for a tub be enough since they do seem to hold everything in better? And would that alone take care of the ambient temperatures as well? Or would I need a ceramic heat emitter? Our house is always around 72 degrees in temperature, sometimes going down to the high 60's. After thinking about it, this just seems like this would be the ideal set up for me. Too much involved with keeping levels in a tank stable.

Edit: Also, where would the thermostat go? Would that be outside or inside the tub?

Thanks

Tubs will hold heat extremely better than an aquarium will.
    I don't know how safe it would be to have a ceramic heat emitter for a tub though.. it would have to be in the tub where the snake could get to it.

That set-up sheet is good but it really does not have to be that complicated. A hide, water bowl, and substrate with appropriate heating and a secure lid is all you need.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

TheBallPython (07-18-2009)

Thanks

Thanks. I wasn't even thinking about the safety of the CHE, just wondering how else the ambient temperatures would be controlled? I was also looking into flex-watt, but UTHs just look so much easier.

I think that guide is so complicated because it covers different herps. The set-up for a bp ends pretty quickly and continues for other herps that need UVB lighting.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

heres one i got for beginners who only use one tub or need it for QT. This is what i use for QT tubs that wont fit in racks.

Thanks

This is my setup up so far. I know everything is big for them, but this was my first attempt at tubs. They BPs seem happy with it and not stressed, so I didnt bother to make everything smaller.

My thermostat probe is taped with aluminun tape directly in the heat tape. You can see the probe in between the tubs. I use an accurite probe to find a stable temp for them from the heat-tape/thermostat.

I was using newspaper before, but it was a pain to change the paper and clean the tub everytime they pee or poop.

Im trying aspen now, but it has it's cons too. the main con I worry about is when the snakes are eating, the aspen get stuck in their mouth and unless I help them remove it, it takes them a while to "spit it out". It REALY get stuck in their mouth. The second reason, it is much harder to maintain a stable temperature. Third, well, it's just not free . I think I am going back to newspaper soon or some form of paper. Any tips anyone?

Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheBallPython View Post
    Thanks. I wasn't even thinking about the safety of the CHE, just wondering how else the ambient temperatures would be controlled? I was also looking into flex-watt, but UTHs just look so much easier.

I think that guide is so complicated because it covers different herps. The set-up for a bp ends pretty quickly and continues for other herps that need UVB lighting.
    You need a proper thermostat or a light dimmer to use to control the UTH temperatures. :]

Thanks

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I am also thinking of buying a bp and using a tub. My question is how would you secure the tub to prevent adult size bp from escaping?

Thanks

Some tubs have hatch on clips on their lids. Some people have racks with they stick em on with no tops and little space which the bp cant come out http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=58302. I use heavy duty office paper clips at the moment.
    Danny
    0.1 Awesome Normal! (Lost )
    1.0 Lemon Pastel
    1.0 VPI Axanthic
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Fire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast