Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,478

2 members and 2,476 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable

Thread: shead question

Thanks

shead question

ok so my baby just shead for the first time but i realized that she still has some of the shead left on her nose what is the best way to get rid of this? should i soak her again and remove it from her nose? thanks again u guys are great

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts

Re: shead question

With a small amount like that you can give her a good soak and just use a towel to gently rub her down. That should take care of it.
    --Walt

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SnkChrmr650 View Post
    ok so my baby just shead for the first time but i realized that she still has some of the shead left on her nose what is the best way to get rid of this? should i soak her again and remove it from her nose? thanks again u guys are great
    again? you shouldnt have to soak your bp under normal conditions. can cause bad sheds.

you can just put her in a smaller tub with a damp rag for a few min and then let her run the rag over her. should come right off
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Try putting the snake in a damp pillowcase for 15 minutes and then trying to rub it off. I find with soaks the snake rarely submerges his/her head. Just a cup of water doesn't create much humidity.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 771subliminal View Post
    again? you shouldnt have to soak your bp under normal conditions. can cause bad sheds.

you can just put her in a smaller tub with a damp rag for a few min and then let her run the rag over her. should come right off
    i was under the asumption that it was ok to soak your snake after it has already had a bad shead, is that wrong? i soaked her to get the majority of the shead off cause it was not happening on its own now all thats left is some skin on the nose

Thanks
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 1,769 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnkChrmr650 View Post
    i was under the asumption that it was ok to soak your snake after it has already had a bad shead, is that wrong? i soaked her to get the majority of the shead off cause it was not happening on its own now all thats left is some skin on the nose
    soaking is bad for ur bp when u do it too many times, or if u do it when the bp doesnt need it, THAT causes a future bad sheds. i couldnt remove the eye cap from my bp when i first had it, and i actually took it to the vet to do it lol. they said they soaked it twice in a row to get all of it off. they said it was fine. havent needed to soak ever since.

i would also suggest using a damp rag just because its a bit on the nose =p. if its not affecting ur bp negatively (off feed, stress cruising), x2 ur husbandry, work to get the temp and humidity regulated, and wait for next shed.
    Quote Originally Posted by reixox View Post
    BPs are like pokemon. you tell yourself you're not going to get sucked in. but some how you just gotta catch'em all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

There is nothing wrong with soaking after a bad shed. Soaking before the shed has happened is usually what makes a shed go bad. Personally I would never soak my bp. I have heard too many horror stories of snakes drowning that way. I prefer the less harmful approach with a damp pillowcase.
    ~Steffe