Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

0 members and 3,044 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Canine Good Citizen Program

I've been looking into this AKC sponsored program for Marrok and Mike to do. Apparently there is an Ohio Mastiff club and they support this program as well as providing the testing once training is complete.

Anyone here been involved or had their dog through this certification? Any thoughts on it - good, bad or otherwise?

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Re: Canine Good Citizen Program

Interesting! I've never heard it that before. I'd like to get Bosco in to something like that.
    ---=ALLISON=---
    "Not everyone is going to agree or listen to what you say but I have learned to do my best to educate and hope they listen in the long run. Just keep trying to educate. There will be people out there that actually do listen and learn. -Me"

BPnet Veteran TheOtherLeadingBrand's Avatar
    Thanks

It's not hard. All my dogs have had it. Most of my dogs are more than ready by their six month birthdays

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lillyorchid View Post
    Interesting! I've never heard it that before. I'd like to get Bosco in to something like that.
    It's nice that even though it's an AKC program any dog can try for it, doesn't have to be a purebred.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherLeadingBrand View Post
    It's not hard. All my dogs have had it. Most of my dogs are more than ready by their six month birthdays
    Glad to hear it worked out well for you. I think we'll try Marrok with it and maybe Bella too. I'm a bit concerned with Bella because she's so high strung. Hard to get the certification while mumbling "oooh sorry she jumped on you, ohhh don't mind her stealing your sandwich, oops sorry about her licking your glasses off your face". I think I own Marley's sister.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Yep - all the dogs here have their CGCs. It's not hard, but you can't take a completely untrained dog into an eval and expect to pass.

Remember - no prong collars, no head halters, no treats.

Some evaluators are tougher than others - some will fail your dog for so much as a whimper on the separation, others are much more lenient.

I'd say go for it, if you think your dog is ready!

Thanks

The CGC is a great program. It requires all the skills a dog needs to be a good citizen. Walking on a loose leash, being aproched by strangers. Having someone strange hold him for a short time. All these things are important to have a well behaved dog. You get a great cirtificat, but more importantly you have the pride to say your dog is a CGC dog!! The more people we can get into this program the better. I dose take a bit of training, but if you want a well behavied dog anyway, you will have to do the training so it is a win win stiuation.

All my Service Dogs have been CGC's. Loki got his when he was about 7 months old, so it is not that hard. Just look up the test and see if your dog can do it, if not there are a lot of training classes for them..

Good luck!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sekaiNdobes View Post
    Yep - all the dogs here have their CGCs. It's not hard, but you can't take a completely untrained dog into an eval and expect to pass.

Remember - no prong collars, no head halters, no treats.

Some evaluators are tougher than others - some will fail your dog for so much as a whimper on the separation, others are much more lenient.

I'd say go for it, if you think your dog is ready!
    Oh heck Marrok's naturally an obedient boy and has had some good training but he's nowhere ready yet. I'm going to contact the Ohio Mastiff group and see if they offer training for this certification or can recommend a group for Mike to join with Marrok. Then down the road we can see about his testing.

Quote Originally Posted by akaangela View Post
    The CGC is a great program. It requires all the skills a dog needs to be a good citizen. Walking on a loose leash, being aproched by strangers. Having someone strange hold him for a short time. All these things are important to have a well behaved dog. You get a great cirtificat, but more importantly you have the pride to say your dog is a CGC dog!! The more people we can get into this program the better. I dose take a bit of training, but if you want a well behavied dog anyway, you will have to do the training so it is a win win stiuation.

All my Service Dogs have been CGC's. Loki got his when he was about 7 months old, so it is not that hard. Just look up the test and see if your dog can do it, if not there are a lot of training classes for them..

Good luck!!
    Thanks! I think it would be a good thing for both our dogs eventually though Bella will take I think way more work than Marrok. I think that considering Marrok's breed and look it will be a good thing to reassure folks that he is CGC certified and maybe help his image a bit.
    ~~Joanna~~

Thanks

Its been awhile since Ive posted and since this post was made but figured I woudl chime in. We have a puppy dachshund who has already completed her S.T.A.R. training through AKC, its the stepping stone towards CGC, Dayley (our puppy) is going to be a therapy dog and the CGC looks great on her "resume" I cant wait to start hers! Its a wonderful program and is looked at highly not just in the therapy/service world but in general. I wouldnt say its "Easy" it is most certainly an intense training program and if you have a "reputable" trainer they wont just pass "any" dog but rather those who deserve it. Do a youtube search for CGC and you can see what all the dogs have to do for the test

Good luck if you pursue it!! and it most certainly does help their "image" no matter what breed they are!! Down here they even have programs to train pit bulls (near miami we have alot of prejudiced against them) if they get accredited through CGC they are allowed to go to certain dog parks that ban pit bulls because of the certification. Plus you can even put CGC after their names on paperwork if you wanted to "Little Lady Dayley, CGC" for example. Depending on his size you could stitch the CGC patch to his/her collar that has actually been recognized here alot, if not I know they have collar tags you can get that has CGC on the one side and your information on the other.
    Last edited by ADEE; 09-05-2009 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

its a great program, a city next to mine has used the akc good dog program to keep owners and dogs in check instead of banning certain breeds.
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

Thanks for the information! I'm definitely looking into this for both our dogs once my lower back is healed and I can participate with the dogs and my husband, Mike, in this program.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast