Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,839

1 members and 2,838 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero

Thread: New baby JCP!

Thanks

New baby JCP!

Today I went to East Bay Vivarium (see my thread on general herp for photos), and traded in my old glass/wood terrarium for $75 store credit... which I decided to use toward a baby jungle carpet. I've been thinking of getting one for a while, so this seemed like the perfect time! He's just adorable, definitely a male as I watched them pop him, and doesn't seem nippy at all. I'm thinking of calling him "Kipling" after the author of Jungle Book, but any other ideas are welcomed. He's getting settled in his 6qt tub now, but here are a few photos from earlier:

How does the setup look for now? (the silver thing is a ZooMed heat mat, connected to one of my thermostats.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks

Re: New baby JCP!

Now for a few questions...

1. They said he's "probably not 100% jungle," so do you know what that means? I forgot to ask, since I was too enamored at the time - LOL.

2. Are JCPs generally picky and/or live-only feeders? They told me he was assist fed a few times, but has eaten well on live pinks since then... I have no problem with feeding live, since that's what my BPs get, but pinks are sometimes hard to get. Are they easily converted to f/t?

3. How long can he live in that 6qt? And is it true they can grow to 7-9ft? That's what the store clerk said, but the caresheet here says 4-6ft.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee

Thanks

The percentage relates to how much different species of carpet he is. Usually the main carpets are Coastal, Jungle, Diamond and Irian Jaya. These guys are often crossbred with each other. So if your Carpet is a pure jungle, then it's 100% JCP. If it's half coastal, half jungle, then it's 50% jungle, 50% coastal.

These species typically reach different adult lengths, so knowing the genetic makeup helps to predict just how big they will get. If your snake is for sure a male and for sure a jungle, he'll probably top out at six feet. If its a female, or has coastal blood, then it will probably be bigger. Of course, the amount you feed can also play a role.

I've had no problem feeding f/t pinky rats to my carpet right off the bat, but that's just my experience.

Thanks

Thanks for the info! One more question... the caresheet says that carpets are usually mousers only, so if that is true, what do you feed them as adults? Multiple large mice??

Btw, I was torn between this snake and a beautiful little BRB at the vivarium - you think I made the right choice?
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

I've fed mine rats since day one. If he's used to mice, it might be hard to switch him, so if you want to, the sooner the better. Once he gets on to eating rats consistently, I can't see you having a problem.

BRBs are neat, but I would've gone with the carpet too! =D

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Aeries View Post
    I've fed mine rats since day one. If he's used to mice, it might be hard to switch him, so if you want to, the sooner the better. Once he gets on to eating rats consistently, I can't see you having a problem.
    I'm actually fine with him eating mice, since that's mostly what I feed anyway (only one of my BPs is a ratter)... but if rats are better for him in the long-run, I will try to switch him over.

BRBs are neat, but I would've gone with the carpet too! =D
    Cool. I asked the clerk for his opinion, and he lifted his sleeve to reveal a huge JCP tattoo... then said "whaddya think I prefer?" Figured if he likes them enough to tattoo his arm with the species, it must be a pretty awesome snake. Speaking of which, I could really use a new tat - LOL.
    Lolo's Collection...

Thanks

Btw, he's doing fine after his first night here... spent the whole time in his hide, resting in a cute little coil.
    Lolo's Collection...