Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,872

2 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull

Thread: Temperment

Thanks

Temperment

In all curiosity, I was wondering if those of you that keep and deal with venomous snakes routinely have an opinion as to which of the numerous types are the most tempermental (readily strike) and which are least tempermental (less likely to strike)... I dealing with various pythons/boas, I have noticed very different temperments, and was wondering if same were true with the hots??
    4.7 - Ball Pythons
    0.1 - Corn
    0.1 - Columbian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 - Coumbian Red Tail
    1.0 - D'Alberts Python
    0.1 - Costal Carpet Python
    1.0 - Beardie
    4.2 - furfriends

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: Temperment

Yes there are temperment differences between species. My experience is limited to pretty much water moccasins and copperheads, the only hots I encountered in the wild when I lived in texas and louisiana.

The copperheads never seemed defensive, they pretty much ignored people even if you got close.

Water moccasins ALWAYS seemed defensive if you got close. They either bolted or struck a pose with their mouth open. It's a pretty awesome sight, but I have a VERY healthy respect for them.

There are always exceptions to species' reputations, and my dealings were all with wild animals in their environment.

Thanks

Yes there is very different temperments between species. Its amazing how calm copperheads usually are, unless really pushed. Then the cottonmoths display an aggressive defense. These two snakes belong to the same genus yet very different temperments. Most rattlesnakes display an agressive temperment. They love to strike. I have some Western Massasauga Rattlesnakes and they are a little bit better then your larger rattlesnakes. I also heve eyelash vipers. They are very calm, even calmer then your amazon tree boas or emerald tree boas.

Thanks

i also depends on the snake, my copperheads strike most of the time. the cobras bluff a lot but i would say the snake i have that is always ready to bite is my saw scaled viper.