Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,040

0 members and 3,040 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Help settle a point of disagreemnt for me...

With regard to our new male dog (who in case you haven't read his thread is a 2 year old Japanese Mastiff x Bulldog).

I believe he should be neutered. I've always kept dogs that were spayed or neutered and feel it makes for a better pet. Also I think this dog will be an even more balanced, attentive home protection animal if he is not stressed by the drive to breed.

My husband on the other hand, while agreeing somewhat with me, is concerned it will make this male dog lazy and less alert. Mike is also concerned with how hard this might be on a fully mature male dog. I'm not sure on this point since all my previous dogs were fixed as puppies.

So what's your opinion. I have a call into the vet clinic to book his neutering and would like to put my husband's worries to rest about this procedure. I'm especially interested in those of you that do own some of the stronger natured, protective breeds. Did you get your male dogs altered? If so did you see any major change in how they help you care for your home's security?
    ~~Joanna~~

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Help settle a point of disagreemnt for me...

I prefer to not neuter or spay adult dogs due the the face of metabolism slows down and they gain weight faster. If younger they begin to cope with the situation and you have a better chance to still train them as a watch dog and control their food intake.

I had a 95lbs pitt/rott mix who was 6 years old neutered. He escaped the yard and knocked up next doors female lab. So i had to cut his man hood. Well in a short year he went right up to 120lbs.

I say its all in the owners preference just like micro-chipping.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    I prefer to not neuter or spay adult dogs due the the face of metabolism slows down and they gain weight faster. If younger they begin to cope with the situation and you have a better chance to still train them as a watch dog and control their food intake.

I had a 95lbs pitt/rott mix who was 6 years old neutered. He escaped the yard and knocked up next doors female lab. So i had to cut his man hood. Well in a short year he went right up to 120lbs.

I say its all in the owners preference just like micro-chipping.
    I was going to make a point that was just proven here.. The fact that male dogs tend to get into testosterone mode during breeding season and want to escape to breed.. This leaves not only the pet owner to deal with a lost dog, but the potential to be hit by a car, stolen, etc..... It's really just not worth it IMO........

If weight gain becomes a problem, portion the food and watch their weight... That's part of life, it's not a huge deal.

Not to mention the extremely high risk of mammary cancers the occurs in female dogs, and prostate issues that males can have when they are not spayed/neutered...

Quote Originally Posted by frankykeno View Post
    With regard to our new male dog (who in case you haven't read his thread is a 2 year old Japanese Mastiff x Bulldog).

I believe he should be neutered. I've always kept dogs that were spayed or neutered and feel it makes for a better pet. Also I think this dog will be an even more balanced, attentive home protection animal if he is not stressed by the drive to breed.

My husband on the other hand, while agreeing somewhat with me, is concerned it will make this male dog lazy and less alert. Mike is also concerned with how hard this might be on a fully mature male dog. I'm not sure on this point since all my previous dogs were fixed as puppies.

So what's your opinion. I have a call into the vet clinic to book his neutering and would like to put my husband's worries to rest about this procedure. I'm especially interested in those of you that do own some of the stronger natured, protective breeds. Did you get your male dogs altered? If so did you see any major change in how they help you care for your home's security?
    I'm not claiming to be an expert by any means, this is just what I have noted in my experience. I have been in the field as a vet tech for 5+ years and I work at 2 completely different clinics (day practice and emergency) and see dogs all day in and out.

Let me start by saying that an un-neutered male dog is the biggest pain in the clinic because they find the need to mark EVERYTHING!! Not every single one, but 9/10 seems about right. 2 years old is not old by any means, and yes, the surgery can take a bigger tole on an older dog, but that is not the case here... Now is a perfect time to get the job done.

No, it is not going to make your dog less alert and lazy, that comes with age, not whether he has "his manhood" or not..........

There's my 2 cents...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jo - if Mike is concerned with a neutered male's activity level, he need only come and meet the males at Canine Assistants (all neutered, except those in our breeding program). Nothing lazy about them, in fact, many are very high energy.

Thanks

I am all about spay and neutering dogs. I've never had a dog be lazy or fat because he had a little snip snip, and it also ensures the dog won't be looking to breed and potentially create more little doggies that end up in shelters. This is owners experience with several german shepards, a schnauzer, standard poodle and other male dogs I've been well aquainted with thru friends, etc.

Thanks

I'd say neuter him.

I do prefer intact males - Ronin was intact for the first 4.5 years of his life. However, if you aren't going to breed him, IMO he's had enough time to mature.

Yes, their metabolism does slow down. That doesn't mean they get fat, it just means they don't need as much food.

Ronin was a heavily muscled, intense, protective intact male. Now, after being neutered for nearly 2 years, he's still a heavily muscled, very intense, extremely protective dog... just with more focus!

If a dog is "ruined" by neutering at a mature age, it's my personal opinion that *that* particular dog is lacking in the temperament department. Ronin didn't need "little swimmers courage" - he's a true Doberman, balls or not.

(side note - Ronin didn't roam, he didn't inappropriately mark, etc. He was a very good intact male. Neutering him was the icing on the cake. )

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts

Neuter him. He doesn't need his testicles to protect the house. If you don't overfeed him, he won't get fat. He should be more focused on protection and the family without his testes telling him about all the female dogs around the area.
    Plus you won't have to worry about testicular cancer which can pop up in intact males.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

I also agree with neutering him. Granted Thor isn't a "bully breed", he's a chihuahua, we didn't have him neutered till he was a year old, we were slow about it-that's the only reason. It's been almost a year since he was fixed and we haven't noticed any change in his activity and he's lost 1/2 a pound He weighs 5 pounds now. Also no change in his guarding abilities, in fact he has more guts now!!!

Just portion the food and exercise him. We have a female doberman who isn't spayed, but only because I want to show her in AKC and they can't be spayed. I can't imagine her changing her attitude just because of a spay. It's all instincts, she's knows what to do. I think it will be the same with your male.

My parents have a great dane and a wire hair fox terrier, both males, both neutered. The dane is very protective of the house still-he was a rescue at 5 years old. They also free feed and only the fox terrier is slightly overweight, but he's 11 years old so you have to give it to him. This is the only time he's ever been overweight.

Thanks

I have a friend who just had her Pit Neutered. I believe he is 3 or 4 yrs old, could be older. He really didn't change at all. He is still just as alert as ever. Also, she has his daughter, and now there is no chance of him getting her pregnant.

I don't know of the health issues with the older males, but he didn't have any problems. I do think he has had a bit of a weight gain, but not too much. He acutally just busted one of their widows trying to reach a cat on their porch. Ha.

Part of the reason they did that was to calm him down. It didn't work.
    "Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." ~William Shakespeare

1.1 Normals - Apollo & Medusa
    1.0 Pastel - Zeke
    0.1 Pastel het OG - Dixie
    0.1 Pastel het Axanthic
    0.1 Spider het Axanthic
    1.1 Mojave - Clyde & Bonnie
    1.0 Black Pastel - Conan
    0.1 Spider - Dizzy

Thanks

Thank you all so much for your replies (keep them coming please). I've had little to no experience with intact male dogs or getting a dog of 2 years old fixed so I wanted some real life advice from our site's membership.

Mike and I are still working through this decision and your responses are really appreciated.
    ~~Joanna~~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast