Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,893

1 members and 2,892 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

View Poll Results: Should we continue to use Thanks, along with Rep?

Voters
160. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, keep them both

124 77.50%
  • No, turn Thanks off

36 22.50%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Reputation -- Alive and Well!!

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    The downside to this, is that people could easily reach a high reputation level only by posting “nice snake” or “ nice picture” which ultimately would make the reputation system meaningless.
    I don't know if it would make the rep system totally meaningless. I think part of having a good rep is taking the time to read threads, make nice comments about peoples animals, and taking the time to welcome new people to the site.
    ***Tony S.***

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

I just have to say I found out about the rep system when I was just a wee newbie and I have always tried to use it as much as possible. I love the rep system and I check my rep and everyone elses rep all the time. Maybe I have no life....

Anyway, thank you for reviving it! It is a great system and it really encourages me and other to learn more and do good

Oh yeah, keep the thanks, and keep it separate from the rep points. I think they have very separate purposes and meanings.

Yay rep system!!
    ~Steffe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmer3638 View Post
    I don't know if it would make the rep system totally meaningless. I think part of having a good rep is taking the time to read threads, make nice comments about peoples animals, and taking the time to welcome new people to the site.
    No, that's part of being a nice person, NOT necessarily having any knowledge.

There is a substantial difference.

I don't want to go to the head of the welcoming committee if I have a problem with a snake. I want someone who knows how to help me, not tell me what a pretty picture I took or how nice my snake is.

There's nothing wrong with that, being nice, I guess, but there is not any way to know anything about that persons actual knowledge if all we go by is the number of thanks tallied up.

One is very nice, the other is useful for more than knowing who to invite to social gatherings.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 7,199 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snakecharmer3638 View Post
    That may or may not be true...however, the mechanics of the system don't allow for a ratio of thanks:rep.
    -- Judy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Go in user CP and you should be able to see the last 15 threads for which you earned a rep point.

It will show the name of the thread, the date, the name of the user who left the rep point and comment if any.
    Hmmmmmm... I went into my user CP, and can't find anything! I think I have rep points, so how exactly do I get to them?
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    Hmmmmmm... I went into my user CP, and can't find anything! I think I have rep points, so how exactly do I get to them?
    Everyone starts off with 10 rep points and one green box. If nothing new has been added to that starting point, then they won't show on your user CP yet. I just repped your last post, so you can go back and see what it looks like. Let me know if you still have trouble finding it.

(BTW, Your current rep-score total can be found in the top-right corner of the box that shows your rep comments)
    -- Judy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JLC For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (07-13-2009)

Thanks

Ah cha.... I see it now! Thanks for my first rep point!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like both systems and think they both serve useful yet different purposes. My only complaint about the rep system has been that when someone has been particularly helpful, I can't give them positive rep points for different posts unless I've 'spread around some reputation to to others before I can give them to this use again' (or whatever that message says) It's always seemed to me that it's penalizing a user for being on a roll and being particularly helpful.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    I like both systems and think they both serve useful yet different purposes. My only complaint about the rep system has been that when someone has been particularly helpful, I can't give them positive rep points for different posts unless I've 'spread around some reputation to to others before I can give them to this use again' (or whatever that message says) It's always seemed to me that it's penalizing a user for being on a roll and being particularly helpful.
    Remember looswheel and dandy and those wonderful folks at Fauna? They were going around repping the heck out of eachother to build up their points without actually deserving the accrued totals.

Rich put a limit on how many times you could give positive or negative reps without doing so to other members to prevent it.

The same thing here. If we were chums and wanted to up our reps all we would have to do is keep sending eachother good points for every post we made, totally invalidating the entire system.

The sneaky turds ruin it for the good guys every time.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wilomn View Post

The sneaky turds ruin it for the good guys every time.
    Ha! At least with the spreading around feature, the sneaky turds have to give props to innocent folks while they play their games.
    -- Judy

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast