Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,931

5 members and 2,926 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

anyone keep snappers?

I'm just curious if anyone keeps snapping turtles (either common or alligator snappers), I would love some pictures!

I've been dreaming lately of having a large aquarium with north american fish and a common snapper. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon but who knows what the future holds.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: anyone keep snappers?

My ex-boss has a snapper, but alas no pictures. Highly doubful as to having both snapper and fish in the same aquarium, but good luck to that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    I'm just curious if anyone keeps snapping turtles (either common or alligator snappers), I would love some pictures!

I've been dreaming lately of having a large aquarium with north american fish and a common snapper. I don't think it's going to happen any time soon but who knows what the future holds.
    I bought a common snapper baby the size of a quarter and gave it to my little cousin... So he has one.. I just went to his house 2 weeks ago and it got huge! ABOUT THE LENGTH OF A DOLLAR BILL NOW! Maybe bigger...

Thanks

alligator snappers are pretty cool looking.i wouldnt mind have one of those around my house lol
    0.1 Normal Ball Python

Thanks

I don't see why anyone would want a pet snapper unless they're turtle fanatics with LOADS of experience with even the most difficult species. Those things get huge and I doubt that cleaning the pond/tank/what-have-you is any fun...

I saw a video fairly recently of someone feeding his pet snapper. He was giving it live mice and rats and the turtle was just grabbing the rodents and tearing bits off while they tried to swim away with bloody nubs and their insides hanging out. It was absolutely ridiculous (not to mention SO inhumane). I thought they ate fish. Why would someone feel the need to feed rodents unless there's something I'm missing...? anyway, imagine having to clean the tank after its filled with blood. I bet that smells lovely...

Thanks

I do keep common snapper, and feed him with cat food... sometimes gold fish...

if you want to keep a snapper, you have to maintain their food otherwise be prepared for larger aquarium
    Regards
    Jaxsprout

Thanks

I've photographed and watched them in the wild.They can snap off a broom handle with their teeth; I can attest to that. I'd treat them with absoulte caution for this reason; I would think that you'd need a properly-enclosed outdoor pond that they could not burrow out of; unless you had a tank with a huge floor area; since I have seen snappers that exceeded 14 inches in length..! I will try to dig-up the photos that I took of a huge one that my husband foolishly picked up (hey, it was awhile ago.. lol.)
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mindibun View Post
    I don't see why anyone would want a pet snapper unless they're turtle fanatics with LOADS of experience with even the most difficult species. Those things get huge and I doubt that cleaning the pond/tank/what-have-you is any fun...

I saw a video fairly recently of someone feeding his pet snapper. He was giving it live mice and rats and the turtle was just grabbing the rodents and tearing bits off while they tried to swim away with bloody nubs and their insides hanging out. It was absolutely ridiculous (not to mention SO inhumane). I thought they ate fish. Why would someone feel the need to feed rodents unless there's something I'm missing...? anyway, imagine having to clean the tank after its filled with blood. I bet that smells lovely...
    That does seem pretty gruesome. I personally would use prekilled or f/t rats/mice in that situation, if they were necessary. I am not against live feeding (I do it myself.) But my BPs don't rip chunks out of still-alive rats.. just an ugly situation all-around, I agree.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Thanks

I worked as a tech at a vet clinic for 7 years. The doctor found two common snappers that were the size of half dollars. We raised them till they wouldnt fit in the aquarium anymore. When we released them they were both over 15 pounds each. We feed them chicken, gold fish, and different veggies. I never got any pictures of them. I can tell you they became a lot of work. They can dirty up some water quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 1,596 Posts
    Blog Entries

I used to have a couple, they're great turtles. However you should keep them by themselves. If you put them in an aquarium with fish they'll soon be the only thing left. You also won't be able to find a filter to keep up with their waste. I kept mine in large plastic rubbermaid storage tubs half filled with water and just changed the water every week. I started out feeding them trout chow pellets and pinkies but quickly started using them as a garbage disposal for all of my uneaten mice that the snakes didn't want. They can grow very quickly with lots of food. They have loads of personality and actually become quite tame if you handle them regularly.
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast